Josh Allen starts week 12 but shows no growth....

Rebel101

I believe you go with the hot hand and start Barkley. I think he earned himself one more start. I understand Allen is the future but they originally wanted him to sit anyway. But what if he does start and looks the same or worse then he did before injury? He was making some better throws in the Texans game. He didn’t play great but he looked alittle better so what if after sitting and learning from Anderson and all that he doesn’t look any different then what he did before the injury? Do we start to worry? I mean the main reason Josh Allen was even considered such a high pick was because of Carson Wentz and their numbers are no where near the same

• Haha (+1) 1

how does he show no growth?   Are we talking a 3 point 150 total yard performance by the offense where he doesn't throw for 100yds?    I'll be surprised if that happens.  

If it does, I think I still go with Allen.  He's not going to develop on the bench.  

• Like (+1) 4

Then start him in Week 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17.

Growth for a QB is repetition, offensive line continuity and getting timing with his WR's, TE and RB's.

Target areas of improvement and focus on those areas in the game plan.

What I'm saying is don't gameplan to win, game plan for growth and development.

Then start the processing of cutting players after the last game, trimming your roster of its current players we don't want in 2019.  Take 2019 hits on the cap to get deadwood off the roster (Ducasse, DiMarco and Clay).

Build you free agent wish list and draft to fill critical needs.

Seems pretty simple to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I believe you go with the hot hand and start Barkley. I think he earned himself one more start. I understand Allen is the future but they originally wanted him to sit anyway. But what if he does start and looks the same or worse then he did before injury? He was making some better throws in the Texans game. He didn’t play great but he looked alittle better so what if after sitting and learning from Anderson and all that he doesn’t look any different then what he did before the injury? Do we start to worry? I mean the main reason Josh Allen was even considered such a high pick was because of Carson Wentz and their numbers are no where near the same

Good thing the coaches are focused on the future of the team at 3-7 instead of worrying about whether a journeyman QB who has bounced around the league deserves another start.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Allen went up against some good defenses and he will go up against another good one with jacksonville. I expect lots of struggle from allen with the next game. After that game, the defenses wont be as good as the others he went up against. I expect him to struggle with the jax game but improve the rest of the season

• Like (+1) 1

Falso. They never intended Josh to sit the entire season. 

But I agree, start the hot hand. Barkley played amazing and deserves to start, he earned it. 

Barkley should be the starter until he starts playing poorly or he gets injured. 

McDuffus is messing with these young men’s head, which will never end up positive. 

Just now, PittsforDave said:

But I agree, start the hot hand. Barkley played amazing and deserves to start, he earned it. 

Barkley should be the starter until he starts playing poorly or he gets injured. 

McDuffus is messing with these young men’s head, which will never end up positive. 

Wrong focus and he's doing just the opposite by declaring "Josh is our starter" which lets him know exactly where he stands. 

10 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

I really don't think the plan was ever to sit Allen for the entire season. If you're rolling with only Peterman and Allen to start the season and your plan is to sit Allen the entire season...I mean I've let McDermott and Beane have it but even I'm hoping that wasn't their plan. We have serious problems moving forward if that's the level they're at, given the fact that they had a terrible plan in place even with the assumption that Allen was going to start at some point this season.

They have to get Allen the experience. Could Barkley play better? Possibly. But he's not a real prospect for the future. We definitely should have had someone like him on the roster to begin with, just a half-decent guy that is willing to try to push the ball downfield and help our WR's develop. instead of throwing developmental games away with Peterman...but the biggest priority at this point is seeing if Allen is the guy. 

We discuss a million topics on this board about so many players and positions...none of that will matter if we don't find the answer at QB1. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PittsforDave said:

Lol what young men? Edmunds..Milano...Harrison....Foster?  Yeah these young guys are so messed up.  Barkley played well but the Jets also were terrible.  The Bill's have to see what Allen has.  Barkley won one game against a terrible Jets team.  Allen was the starter and you dont lose your starting job to injury.  

If hes ready to go...play him.

11 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Just because there were comparisons between Carson Wentz and Josh Allen, does not mean they were equally prepared to enter the NFL.

And just because Allen hasn't progressed as quickly during his rookie season, does not mean he can't eventually be as good or better than Wentz.

The question coaches need to ask, is whether Allen will progress quicker/better by playing or by observing.

This was a debate we had when Allen was first drafted.  This was a debate we had during training camp and the preseason.  This was a debate we had when Allen was inserted into the lineup in Week 2.  Everybody has their own opinion on the matter, but there is honestly no way to determine which way is correct.

Matt Barkley probably gives us a better chance to win our next game.  But at 3-7, we need to be looking beyond our next game.  We need to be looking at what is the best method for developing Allen into a franchise quarterback, so that he can be ready to carry our team in 2019 and beyond.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

how does he show no growth?   Are we talking a 3 point 150 total yard performance by the offense where he doesn't throw for 100yds?    I'll be surprised if that happens.  

If it does, I think I still go with Allen.  He's not going to develop on the bench.  

That's right... no growth.

He's still listed at 6'5". 

https://www.buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/josh-allen/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

21 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

Teams don’t spend first round picks on someone they want be sitting in such a critical position. Let me refine that more, they don’t sit unlesbyou have a Farve, Breese,Brady.. hell even a Flacco type talent ahead of him and Flacco is gone after one year.