We were NEVER tanking even though winning wasn't priority #1A

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott and Beane have proven in 2 years they can draft and assess young talent pretty well.

Dawkins, White, Milano, Edmonds, Johnson, Teller, Phillips... these are all guys who look like they might be steals where we drafted them.

All we can do is cross our fingers that Allen pans out.

If he can develop some over the offseason and McBeane utilize our CAP space (which is the most in the NFL) wisely this offseason and continue to draft well and probably bring back Kyle and Lorax for one more year...

we will be contenders next season.

Not seeing it, at least not yet.  I'm much less discouraged about the offense after last week, but it's still only 1 game, and our hopefully-franchise QB wasn't a part of it.  Of the players you listed, all but Teller are on D, and Teller's only played one full game.  He's off to a nice start, but not exactly someone who can be counted on. 

For us to be contenders next year, we'll need a drastic step up at the QB position at a minimum.  I haven't seen anything (yet?) that suggests we'll get that next year.

1 hour ago, Cash said:

Not seeing it, at least not yet.  I'm much less discouraged about the offense after last week, but it's still only 1 game, and our hopefully-franchise QB wasn't a part of it.  Of the players you listed, all but Teller are on D, and Teller's only played one full game.  He's off to a nice start, but not exactly someone who can be counted on. 

For us to be contenders next year, we'll need a drastic step up at the QB position at a minimum.  I haven't seen anything (yet?) that suggests we'll get that next year.

Yes, I realize most of those players listed are on D... it seems we've focused mostly on D in our drafts.

Zay, Dawkins and Allen are the 3 offensive players we've drafted in the first 3 rounds over the last 2 years vs. White, Edmunds and Phillips this year.

All of those players have showed promise, at least, up to this point.  You can't talk about any of them looking like a bust right now.

But what's been really impressive is the drafting of players in later rounds with guys like Milano, Taron Johnson, and Teller.

That's 9 players who look like they will be starters for us for a good number of years.  9 players in 2 drafts is pretty impressive, along with the TBD guys like Ray Ray.

Hitting a starter on better than 50% of your draft class over the span of 2 years is pretty impressive.

But again, it all boils down to JA.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:52 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

It does, but the next 6 Sundays (we play) are very much intertwined with that long term vision.

I wanted to mention both Phillips because I think #97 has been a great acquisition... I just wonder if he sticks.

The worse your team, the more money you need to throw at Free Agents.

Sure, they'll still come, but the better your team looks, the better your negotiating stance financially.

Spmeone forgot to tell John Brown that he was supposed to sign with the highest bidder

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t know why fans keep pushing this narrative that the FO “knew” it was going to be like this, that they planned on the offense being bad, that they weren’t going all in to win. 

The GM says in every interview that they are always trying to win, that he won’t let tanking happen on his watch and that he didn’t plan on having the worst offense in the league. 

Bottom line you cant spin this as some sort of positive.

Beane and McDernott will need to show a big jump in 2019. 

But ya gotta admit.. this year SUCKS

And there ain't no guarantees. 2019 is judgement year. We can't keep living like this boys! Give me hope at LEAST by the month of November! All I want is meaningful football again.. this show marches on and it's long and weary but we can do it. We can play meaningful football next year. And if not.. we take a loooong look at the mirror and see if we look like we're turning into the Browns.. and we march along to a new beat

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

On 11/13/2018 at 11:52 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

It does, but the next 6 Sundays (we play) are very much intertwined with that long term vision.

I wanted to mention both Phillips because I think #97 has been a great acquisition... I just wonder if he sticks.

The worse your team, the more money you need to throw at Free Agents.

Sure, they'll still come, but the better your team looks, the better your negotiating stance financially.

Great points. The staff get a great look at  Allen,Teller,Foster,McKenzie , Marcus Murphy, Croom , Ray Ray on O . 

D is really stacked . Both Phillips are good, we get to see how Ryan Lewis and Levi Wallace fit. How Trent Murphy finishes. If Shaq can continue to play really solid football. 

Is Lorax a FA after this year? I know he's 35 but remember he doesn't have many miles on him at all and hope he's a Bill next year. He's playing good ball. Just as a situational pass rusher even .

Edited by JerseyBills

22 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

McDermott and Beane have proven in 2 years they can draft and assess young talent pretty well.

Dawkins, White, Milano, Edmonds, Johnson, Teller, Phillips... these are all guys who look like they might be steals where we drafted them.

All we can do is cross our fingers that Allen pans out.

If he can develop some over the offseason and McBeane utilize our CAP space (which is the most in the NFL) wisely this offseason and continue to draft well and probably bring back Kyle and Lorax for one more year...

we will be contenders next season.

Teller just started his first game.  Edmunds was a guy they traded up for.  Milano has played well at times, Dawkins lately is not playing really well, White is good, but another first round pick. Johnson is banged up every game, and Phillips is coming along.  

The key isn't just getting good players, it's using your draft resources appropriately and building the whole roster.  I see 4 trade ups in 2 drafts and it's yet to be determined if they've been worth it.  But, like a lot of fans, you're already counting 1st or 2nd year players as hits.  And, it's been a long time since Buffalo could find solid starters for the long haul in rounds 4-6

Go back to 2006-07 when people were saying how great those drafts were because guys started.  In the long run, they weren't good drafts even though early returns were there.  

We don't need an opinion on a player immediately because careers can start out and then flame out.  Beane and McDermott have proven nothing after '17 and '18 drafts aside from how to trade up.    

Edited by BillsVet