Wonder how long it will remain "New Era Field"?

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Might I suggest that you stop watching the NFL and switch to local high school sports? It’s much cheaper and won’t require an outlay of your cash. I’m not trying to be nasty but major league sports are a big business and everyone in them, including the players are in it to make big money. It’s far from a bunch of guys playing in their backyard.

I do watch high school sports which are publicly financed.

I’m all for publicly owned teams in the NFL like the Green Bay Packers. Would be nice if the Bills could be locally owned. As far as Pegula receiving local taxpayer dollars to build his stadium so he can make more money, I’m vehemently against. We don’t need to be subsidizing billionaires. 

23 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So why did Amazon locate their HQ2 in NYC?

Il Duce Cuomo got paid.  That's how every deal get's done in NY.  Go to your room.

Edited by Irv

10 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Business taxes are very low. Taxes for individuals? Not so much.

I pasted a tax table for 2017 NYS tax rates for businesses below;

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 5.06.10 PM.png

A Mom & Pop business pulling in $1 million in receipts pays a cool 500 bucks here in 'Tax hell' as NYS is referred to........

The myth is perpetuated, as the largest corporations don't want to pay anything.

Guess who gets to pick up that slack?

Notice that the rate for qualified manufacturers is NOTHING. (0.0%)

so why do businesses keep leaving? (Serious question)

7 hours ago, ALF said:

Lower pay in right to work states was one reason and of course to low pay countries.

Talent pool is more important than anything else.   Especially for knowledge-based tech type jobs.    Amazon chose two of the highest cost locations in the country--simply because they could deliver the talent pool needed to fill 25,000 jobs.   

Other areas are growing, we're not.   That explains a lot about why our economy lags so many southern/western metros...

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Talent pool is more important than anything else.   Especially for knowledge-based tech type jobs.    Amazon chose two of the highest cost locations in the country--simply because they could deliver the talent pool needed to fill 25,000 jobs.   

Other areas are growing, we're not.   That explains a lot about why our economy lags so many southern/western metros...

As Bart mentioned, weather plays a more important role in that than some want to admit.

I love the Buffalo area and I find it comical when people from Philly, NYC, etc. talk about Buffalo being cold. It's not much different. But there is a big difference when it comes to the south and the west.

On 11/13/2018 at 5:47 PM, Lurker said:

The only one assuming here is you.

The people leaving NYS are retirees and middle aged workers with mismatched labor skills (i.e., ex manufacturing workers who don't have the skills needed for a growing knowledge-oriented service economy).   The data's all there in the annual American Community Survey produced by the Census Bureau.   Even a caveman can do the analysis, but it's a lot easier to just repeat 'conventional wisdom' ad nauseum.

Factoid:  The Millennial population in the Buffalo-Niagara metro area has grown at almost twice the national average over the past decade (21.7% vs 12.5%).    A net increase of nearly 30,000 people, of whom about three-quarters have an Associate's degree or higher...

You sound like Cuomo. Take a break from it. It’s comical. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, uticaclub said:

Massive tax breaks. The plant had tax breaks that expired in 2017 & without them can’t be as profitable 

Nope, totally irrelevant to the $750 million company New Era has become...

46 minutes ago, mrags said:

You sound like Cuomo. Take a break from it. It’s comical. 

Don't play economist if you ain't got the skills, bud.   You'll just embarrass yourself...

Edited by Lurker

50 minutes ago, Lurker said:

So.   You got nothing.

Move along, nothing to see from you...

You are sitting there trying to make an argument that people are moving away from NYS because they are cold. Has nothing to do with the highest taxes in the nation. Has nothing to do with the ridiculous laws in the state. 

Then have the nerve to say to say the reason Amazon moved their 2nd headquarters to nyc doesn’t have a tthig to do with the $1.5Billion dollars they are receiving for moving there. 

How about its its not a shock that NYC is the largest port on the east cost and 3rd largest in the country. Seattle and Tacoma are also top 10. 

But keep thinking whatever you want. Your making yourself look extremely intelligent. We are all in awe of your economic knowledge. 

13 minutes ago, mrags said:

How about its its not a shock that NYC is the largest port on the east cost and 3rd largest in the country. Seattle and Tacoma are also top 10. 

Lol!   Largest port.    You think they're hiring 25,000 stevedores to unload ships?

God, you're funny.   Intentionally or not...

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Lol!   Largest port.    You think they're hiring 25,000 stevedores to unload ships?

God, you're funny.   Intentionally or not...

I’m very sorry. I will admit that I’m not extremely versed on economic topics as I could be. I do not have the knowledge and vocabulary to speak on the subject. 

I admit I was also wrong about you and saying you sound like Cuomo. He knows what he is talking about, he’s just shady as hell. 

No, you sound more like Ocasio-Cortez, because you make it sound like you have an idea of what you are talking about. But really you have absolutely no clue. 

I’ll just stop arguing with you on the subject. Keep thinking that $1.5 billion, and the largest shipping port on the east coast have nothing to do with Amazon coming to NYC. And while your at it, keep thinking the main reason people leave NY is because of the weather. 

38 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’ll just stop arguing with you on the subject. 

Good.   Get yourself another beer and go back to nodding your head to whatever the talking heads on Fox have to say.

This thread is like whack-a-mole.   The level of willful ignorance and "conventional wisdom" about the economy is a sad reflection of why the country is heading down the path to mindlessness...   

Come to think of it, that's pretty much where TSW is headed as well...

Edited by Lurker

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Good.   Go back to watching Fox before you do any more damage to your reputation...

Yeah. I’ll get right on that 

keep thinking that $1.5B didn’t have any influence at all on Amazon moving to NYC. 

Just curious.... if $1.5B is a drop in the bucket to Amazon, why would they even accept it? You claimed it’s like taking a 5 minute break in the executive washroom. Clearly they accepted the donation. Clearly they accepted the tax cuts. If it’s not significant at all, why bother? Oh yeah! Because it influenced their decision. 

Its ok Ocasio-Cortez. Sooner or later you’ll figure it all out. 

14 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Cuomo and his cronies look out for NYC. They got a huge tax break.

Shhh....

dont tell Ocasio-Cortez that. He’s making an argument. 

18 minutes ago, mrags said:

Just curious.... if $1.5B is a drop in the bucket to Amazon, why would they even accept it? You claimed it’s like taking a 5 minute break in the executive washroom. Clearly they accepted the donation. Clearly they accepted the tax cuts. If it’s not significant at all, why bother? Oh yeah! Because it influenced their decision. 

Do your really think $1.5 billion (over ten years, no less) is important to a company with $200 billion in revenue?     That's like paying the typical U.S. household (median income ~$61,000) roughly $50 per year for ten years if they move to one of the highest cost cities in the country.    Think that would influence their decision?

It's not even real money.   NYS gave them credits against future tax liabilities.   In other words, nothing from any budget or derived from existing taxpayers.   

And the $38 billion (yes, billion with a B) in total wages and salaries paid to the 25,000 new Amazon workers over the next decade will cover that $1.5 billion in foregone tax revenue multiple times over.    Easy decision for NYS and NYC.

Back to the original point of this thread--New Era closing its Derby plant.    The easy fart in the wind opinion is that high taxes were the reason for the closure.   Nobody says NYS is a business paradise.   But consider this--the total payroll of that Derby plant including benefits is around $12.5 million a year.    New Era's total revenues are $750 million.   In other words, that plant's payroll expense equaled 1.7% of revenue.    Essentially nothing.

While I feel for those losing their jobs, the sad reality is that they were a fly on the butt cheek of an elephant.    New Era moved on and didn't need to have that plant any more, regardless of tax liability, tax breaks or anything else...