Is our offensive roster good now?

Virgil

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

A lot of people on here have been harping on the offensive talent we don’t have and how we can’t win.  However, as our offensive line appears to be improving, Zay looking to be a #2, and if these young kids at WR keep it together, does our list of offensive needs shrink?

Besides a true #1 WR, what is our glaring needs?  And if that’s the case, what’s been the problem with the offense?  Is it QB play?  Did Daboll finally figure it out?  

I’m not being sarcastic or attacking any one thing, but it’s interesting how much things look to have changed in a week.  

For me, I’m looking for RB, TE, O-Line upgrades if they are BPA, but nothing that’s holding us back.  But I also am aware that it’s only been one week.  

QB is the elephant in the room.  Besides that C/G, 2 WRs, and TE really need to be upgraded in 2019. 

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Two WRs(one true number 1), C, RG, RT(keeping Mills wouldn't be the end of the world, but he is still a below average starter), a RB, and a TE(Clays on his last legs).

Bare minimum a number one WR, another solid starting WR, and a legit starting C, and RG. IMO. 

Agree. And you can find upgrades easily at all of these in the draft and through FA in a single year. They won't gel in a year but with exception of a good WR and maybe a good RT, none of those will cost a ton. 

This draft has good talent at tackle, guard, and WR assuming the Bills are in the top 12. Best player available will work just fine at positions of need. 

Hardest thing to find will be TE but a top TE is a unicorn anyways. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

I agree.  But what’s your list of offseason prioritiy?

Also agreed 

1) Improve the oline. They are the biggest liability. Allen can’t be running for his life every play.

2) we need a stud WR for Allen to throw to. A number 1.

3) RB is good. Oline will help there. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not sure where they are getting the WRs from. Pretty poor FA class and I don't believe it's a strong draft for it either. They'll need to get creative and hopefully swing a trade. 

I see 4 WRs in the first round in 2019 mock drafts. I don't follow NCAA football but that indicates plenty of options. 

No problem trading down either if they get good compensation. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

A lot of people on here have been harping on the offensive talent we don’t have and how we can’t win.  However, as our offensive line appears to be improving, Zay looking to be a #2, and if these young kids at WR keep it together, does our list of offensive needs shrink?

Besides a true #1 WR, what is our glaring needs?  And if that’s the case, what’s been the problem with the offense?  Is it QB play?  Did Daboll finally figure it out?  

I’m not being sarcastic or attacking any one thing, but it’s interesting how much things look to have changed in a week.  

For me, I’m looking for RB, TE, O-Line upgrades if they are BPA, but nothing that’s holding us back.  But I also am aware that it’s only been one week.  

You say you are aware it’s only been one week... but are you?

Edited by NoSaint

3 hours ago, fansince88 said:

I dont totally agree with this. He does win them he just doesnt maintain possession to the ground.

He is bottom half in the NFL in contested catches.  For a slow talk wr that's all he has. The plays he doesnt make the catch the defense wins.

Edited by Mat68

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

TE, RG,  #1 WR are the highest needs

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

It's nowhere near "good".  t's near the bottom of the NFL. A lot of teams have 3 WR's better than Zay on their roster right now and I would bet some might have 4.

It's not good yet.

I'd say we have 2 WRs we can bring back next year - Zay and Foster

We have 1-2 TEs - Croom and Thomas (who is UFA at the end of the year). It seems like time to cut bait with Clay if we can get out of his deal. Finding a versatile TE will not be easy - you can end up overpaying like we did for Clay. 

We only have the left side of the O-line in Dawkins and Teller. Maybe they talk themselves into one of the other 3 lineman, but we need at least 2 starters.

I am good with a Josh Allen/Barkley situation, although as Thad Lewis proved a backup QB can fall of the map in the offseason. 

I don't see much changing in the backfield and think Murphy could break out next year. 

Need serious WR and OL help. Plus probably TE as well. Even if Teller becomes a solid starter you still need at least a new starting center and another guard. A RT prospect wouldn't hurt either. I'm not too worried about RB. I think they have good depth there and can probably add someone decent during FA. Plus Daboll is obviously a pass oriented OC to begin with.

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

I don't know if RB would be a top need, just my theory but look at the Giants record and where they took Saquon in the draft. Not knocking the kids talent, but behind a bad line, on a team that cannot stretch the field and make you pay for man coverage, even a great back can be kept in check.

The reverse is true too, behind a good line on a team that can stretch the field, even an average RB can look great.

No idea what free agency will look like, but the pundits are saying the draft is deep for WR and O-Line so I would like to see an impact WR taken early. I am not big on taking linemen early in the 1st rd (still have nightmares of Mike Williams eating his way off the Bills roster and out of the league), but if there is a really good road-grader o-lineman later that can man either RG or RT spots grab-em as both of those could use upgrades/depth.

I am meh on our current roster of centers, and would not mind the Bills picking up a decent TE prospect or savvy vet if one is out there. Colts GM Ballard and Reich got a steal plucking Eric Ebron from Detroit and teaming him with Luck - results speak for themselves. I am pretty much over Clay - the guy has mad skills when on the field, just hurt as often as he plays and it seems like every season.

Depth at DB, and depth for DL...not getting the warm fuzzies that Trent Murphy can stay healthy and contribute and I know that Kyle is a competitor to his core, he is not getting any younger.

I don't have a crystal ball or anything but 3 times announcers mentioned Teller just bull rushing defensemen 5+ yards down the field on run plays. I do not have a crystal ball but I think Teller is a beast and having a stable LT LG C helps a lot. I think if I am Mc D. I keep pulling people off practice squads to work on the right side of the line.

Priorities right now? if it were offseason FA?

I would get that #1 FA WR and NOT through draft. we need a #1 now and we should draft one and have it be bust. Talent positions is where we should spend our FA money.

WR, DT, OLB in FA

Then draft R1 OL, R2 WR, R3 OL, R4 RB/TE

I see BPA thrown out there often but if we have to reach a little bit to shore up this offensive line? Then I am all for it.

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

It was the Jets. And a QB for the Bills nobody had any video on.

We still have the same needs. RT, RG and C are major needs, along with slot receiver. A couple of years ago, Clay was getting open all the time. I don't see that anymore, so unless Croom really gets better, TE could stand an upgrade as well.

If Teller continues looking good, that's one need met, IMHO. Other than that, still the same needs, I think.

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Still need a guard RT and probably center, really need a TE and a top WR. Need a RB but those guys are easy to find. It

It's good to see the new kids progressing.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

We played the jets