Is our offensive roster good now?

Virgil

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

A lot of people on here have been harping on the offensive talent we don’t have and how we can’t win.  However, as our offensive line appears to be improving, Zay looking to be a #2, and if these young kids at WR keep it together, does our list of offensive needs shrink?

Besides a true #1 WR, what is our glaring needs?  And if that’s the case, what’s been the problem with the offense?  Is it QB play?  Did Daboll finally figure it out?  

I’m not being sarcastic or attacking any one thing, but it’s interesting how much things look to have changed in a week.  

For me, I’m looking for RB, TE, O-Line upgrades if they are BPA, but nothing that’s holding us back.  But I also am aware that it’s only been one week.  

Based upon the last 2 off seasons with McDermott (1 with Beane),  I expect in FA they will look to add additional pieces at center, guard, WR, and TE with mid level guys to allow the draft to be more of a BPA as much as possible.  

I expect they will analyze where they are falling in the draft and a group of eligible players in that area and make some choices in FA, but everything I have seen in the 2 years suggests they will try to address as many open spots as possible with mid level NFL guys and then not be forced to take any one position in the draft allowing them a bit of flexibility.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I'd switch RB and TE, but other than that I completely agree.

We can get by with Mills at RT if the other positions are addressed. We've done it for years now...etc 

Let Mills walk and sign JuWan James who is a better player and it also hurts an AFC rival.

We need in order: 
WR1  (Rd 1)

RG and C (Rd 2)

TE1 (Rd 2 or 3) 

RB1 (Rd2-4)

C or RG (whichever not addressed before)

Draft either OLB or CB if we can't get a top one signed in FA.

FA

OLB

EDGE/DE (pass rusher)

DT

CB

This changes if Allen doesn't show promise. Then it's Barkley time and an FA Vet with another QB in Rds 3-4 to develop.

Edited by BillsRdue

I have nothing to contribute to this thread. The only reason I clicked on it was because there were only two pages so far. While all the other threads have 10 plus pages rehashing the same stuff. I'm hoping you guys enjoy my noncontribution.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Absolutely not.

But if Teller becomes a decent starter, that's one more position that we don't have to address next year.

Still need a Center and RG. Still need WR talent. Still need a TE that can play without getting hurt every other snap (preferably a bigger, stronger one).

I'm about done with Clay!

1 hour ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

You're okay with Mills?  How so?  You don't go very far without a really solid OL and ours has been nowhere near that.

There's no way we are going to upgrade 3 positions on the oline in one off-season. Mills is serviceable.

And in case you haven't noticed, oline is a problem all around the league. That means every team is trying to upgrade, making it even harder to address it.

If you have 5 quality starters on the line, you have the best oline in the league, probably. Pretty much every line has holes, even in the good teams.

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Let Mills walk and sign JuWan James who is a better player and it also hurts an AFC rival.

Everyone is looking for linemen. The Bills aren't going to be able to sign all of the good ones. Other teams are going to be competing for them.

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

A lot of people on here have been harping on the offensive talent we don’t have and how we can’t win.  However, as our offensive line appears to be improving, Zay looking to be a #2, and if these young kids at WR keep it together, does our list of offensive needs shrink?

Besides a true #1 WR, what is our glaring needs?  And if that’s the case, what’s been the problem with the offense?  Is it QB play?  Did Daboll finally figure it out?  

I’m not being sarcastic or attacking any one thing, but it’s interesting how much things look to have changed in a week.  

For me, I’m looking for RB, TE, O-Line upgrades if they are BPA, but nothing that’s holding us back.  But I also am aware that it’s only been one week.  

NO!

C, G, RT, WR1, WR2, RB, TE that about sums it up.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

There's no way we are going to upgrade 3 positions on the oline in one off-season. Mills is serviceable.

I don't see why they couldn't try??

What else are they spending the $80Mil on?

Could see them Drafting OL high and signing two decent others in FA...

If you have 5 quality starters on the line, you have the best oline in the league, probably. Pretty much every line has holes, even in the good teams

They will probably have Dawkins and Teller starting next year and paying them $1.5 Mil between the two of them...

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

I don't see why they couldn't try??

What else are they spending the $80Mil on?

Could see them Drafting OL high and signing two decent others in FA...

They will probably have Dawkins and Teller starting next year any paying them $1.5 Mil between the two of them...

It's not just about the money. It's about supply. There aren't enough good olinemen to go around. If the Bills sign two decent ones to upgrade, that's a huge win. They can try to draft another couple and hope one of them pans out.

On offense, I want a stud LT (Move Dawkins to RT.) and a speed WR with more than just speed. I haven't given up on Kelvin Benjaman yet. He's still a #2, but it's not ridiculous to think he could rebound next year. Also, we must get a big upgrade at C andopen some competition at WR and TE. Some think Clay is terrible. He's not at all, but he'll never be another Gronk or Ertz. McCoy will be fine with more talent around him, but I'd like to get a power back as our #1 when we move on.

Just now, MJS said:

It's not just about the money. It's about supply. There aren't enough good olinemen to go around. If the Bills sign two decent ones to upgrade, that's a huge win. They can try to draft another couple and hope one of them pans out.

I think the key word is "upgrade"...

The current level is not too high at C and RG...

They have picked Dawkins and Teller relatively late so maybe they have someone in their scouting department that knows what they are doing...Maybe they could find another gem at the top of the 2nd or higher..

I think the answer to the threads question is a resounding NO.  The Jet's looked to much like a team playing in their 4th pre-season game for us to read to much into the result. 

It is fair to say that the offense showed improvement Sunday and that's a good thing.  But I have a nagging concern that we saw a Jet's defense tanking after the loss of their rookie QB.  Am I the only one that thought the Jet's D looked a little like ours did against Indy?  Let's face it the Indy game was the Buffalo defenses worst game IMO and at times they didn't seem to be trying very hard.  

3 hours ago, Mat68 said:

The talent is not top 25 on offense in the NFL.  I will say they have have some complementary pieces now.  Mitchell could fit a Tarik Cohen type role.  Match up nightmare and stretch the defense horizontally.  Foster flashed the ability to stretch the defense deep.  Zay looks like the best underneath Wr.  Benjamin drops big plays every week.  He plays football like he is 6-1.  For his size he is not winning 1 on 1 jump balls.  The offense should be able to move the ball and pick up first downs.  They have no margin for error.  If they catch balls they are ok.  A few drops will kill drives.

I dont totally agree with this. He does win them he just doesnt maintain possession to the ground.

Lets assume the best case scenario here and say that Zay Jones is a solid slot receiver (lets assume his play continues to be stronger over the last 6 games of the season) and lets assume that Wyatt Teller is a really good guard (once again if he plays well over the next 6 games you can feel more confident in that) there still exists a lot of holes on the offense. 

The team needs 2 WR's and a tight end of the future. The team needs 3 starters on the offensive line (C, RG, and RT) and the team also needs a young RB behind Shady. That's 5 starters the team needs on offense plus some youth at older positions. That's a lot of help the team needs. I am hoping that they sign a capable vet WR like Golden Tate and draft at least two WR's in the first three rounds. Then I hope they invest heavily at C and RG in free agency and spend a high pick at RT. Then in the mid rounds where you have extra picks you can draft backups for Clay and Shady while still cherry picking some depth at defense. 

Bottom line is that if Teller and Zay look like viable pieces on offense that makes things better but it doesn't mean the team is just one or two pieces away from fielding a good offense around Allen. 

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Yep size doesn't matter as much anymore for receivers. The rule changes have made it much easier to survive an NFL season. 10 years ago Tyreek Hill would have been destroyed but now defenders can't touch him until the ball is in his hands. I see Brown having a similar impact.

Zay says hi ??