Munchin’ on some Crow

billsfan_34

20 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Between the rotation, paying Murphy and Hughes, I don’t know how you can have 30 mil locked up there.  

You cant keep both Murphy and Lawson in 2020...

Lawson is cheap next year on the last year of his rookie deal.. depending on how the FA market works out for the Bills next year, I would lean towards keeping Murphy next year and choosing Lawson over Murphy for 2020... Cutting Murphy after this season will only save them about $3.5M and I think they are going to struggle to spend all the money they have in any case...

Also need to think about drafting someone to replace Hughes ( possibly take a later round flyer on someone in 2019, and if that doesn't work pick someone high in 2020)..

Although I'm hoping they might extend Hughes another year or two....

I think he has done well too, but I don't see Beane picking up his option. I bet they can find someone else to do his job for cheaper. I mean, he doesn't offer a ton rushing the passer, does he? That's the skill you pay money for.

There are a lot of guys who can set the edge and contain the run.

12 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The Bills would definitely be overpaying at 10/11 mil for a DE not particularly good at rushing the passer, but he's 24 years old and seems to be gaining confidence. Maybe the pass rush will come with time. I still don't trust him enough to give out a long term deal even if it would save us $ next season. That's why I'd lean towards picking up that extension with no future liability if it doesn't go well in 2019.

While the option makes sense in terms of the perspective of evaluation - I still think you could extend him for cheaper or even for a two/three year deal though without committing too much long term. He's only just started to come around, and was drafted for an intended role in a 3-4 defense AND had a shoulder injury. We can certainly pick up the option as it is the safest route albeit tres costly, but if he does continue to develop along this thread now is the cheapest we'll ever be able to negotiate here. 

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think he has done well too, but I don't see Beane picking up his option. I bet they can find someone else to do his job for cheaper. I mean, he doesn't offer a ton rushing the passer, does he? That's the skill you pay money for.

There are a lot of guys who can set the edge and contain the run.

It would be smart to do just that as the Bills have plenty of cap space in '19 and '20.  You factor in the unreliability of Trent Murphy, there's even more reason to keep him around. 

8 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

While the option makes sense in terms of the perspective of evaluation - I still think you could extend him for cheaper or even for a two/three year deal though without committing too much long term. He's only just started to come around, and was drafted for an intended role in a 3-4 defense AND had a shoulder injury. We can certainly pick up the option as it is the safest route albeit tres costly, but if he does continue to develop along this thread now is the cheapest we'll ever be able to negotiate here. 

I was mistakenly under the impression the option was for 2019.

I wouldn't hate a modest extension, but it's not a huge priority and that would kind of mean Lawson was betting against himself. Not sure where either the Bills or Lawson are on that.

Probably best to let it play itself out at this point. If he suddenly becomes a dynamic player, he's still under team control for 2 more years. If not, they part ways or deal with it then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

It’s hard to justify paying some these guys when McDermott rotates his line so much.  I think he’s done a great job in run support and containment, but his pass rush doesn’t really jump off the page.  

Usually, as a outside lineman, you need to have the sack number to get paid.  

Between the rotation, paying Murphy and Hughes, I don’t know how you can have 30 mil locked up there.  

It is tough, but didn't they switch his role more to the three-technique? Granted, before Murphy got hurt...again and they switched him back to end.

I thought it was him committing to the three-tech switch and buying in that turned it around for him in McD's defense, and that's where he's shown his ability as a pass rusher - since the three tech is a brute force/power DT to handle double teams and act as the primary interior pass rusher. While I too feel like Shaq's biggest contribution so far has been against the run, but I have seen him in the backfield being disruptive as of late. I wonder, if given more time in that role, if we'll see him continue to be disruptive. 

To me personally, I feel like JPhillips provides more of that three tech role now, and Lawson should be moved to the edge with Murphy. I'd honestly dump Murphy as the guy can't seem to stay healthy and doesn't contribute enough when he is to justify his contract. Our line is going to need help this offseason, believe it or not, but in a draft with supposedly great dline depth I'm okay with either situation. 

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

It’s hard to justify paying some these guys when McDermott rotates his line so much.  I think he’s done a great job in run support and containment, but his pass rush doesn’t really jump off the page.  

Usually, as a outside lineman, you need to have the sack number to get paid.  

/\ this

43 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was mistakenly under the impression the option was for 2019.

I wouldn't hate a modest extension, but it's not a huge priority and that would kind of mean Lawson was betting against himself. Not sure where either the Bills or Lawson are on that.

Probably best to let it play itself out at this point. If he suddenly becomes a dynamic player, he's still under team control for 2 more years. If not, they part ways or deal with it then.

I've always liked the kid - tough to come into the league needing surgery and have to prove your worth as a round 1 pick. Guy has really committed to the defense and team he came back to after the surgery as well in switching his 3-4 familiarity and dominance to a 4-3 and new front-7 scheme. I give this guy a ton of credit and would like to see him become a longterm Bill and contribute, but you're right, it's not the immediate priority and anything can happen next year.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ctk232 said:

It is tough, but didn't they switch his role more to the three-technique? Granted, before Murphy got hurt...again and they switched him back to end.

I thought it was him committing to the three-tech switch and buying in that turned it around for him in McD's defense, and that's where he's shown his ability as a pass rusher - since the three tech is a brute force/power DT to handle double teams and act as the primary interior pass rusher. While I too feel like Shaq's biggest contribution so far has been against the run, but I have seen him in the backfield being disruptive as of late. I wonder, if given more time in that role, if we'll see him continue to be disruptive. 

To me personally, I feel like JPhillips provides more of that three tech role now, and Lawson should be moved to the edge with Murphy. I'd honestly dump Murphy as the guy can't seem to stay healthy and doesn't contribute enough when he is to justify his contract. Our line is going to need help this offseason, believe it or not, but in a draft with supposedly great dline depth I'm okay with either situation. 

I'd absolutely dump Murphy and agree with every other point here. J Phillips was a find.

I think one of the few encouraging things about this season has been the emergence of some young players.  The Jets game has been the culmination of that (so far) with meaningful contributions from Milano, Zay Jones, Shaq Lawson, Logan Thomas, Robert Foster, Levi Wallace, Wyatt Teller and Jason Croom, along with some of the usual suspects (Harrison Phillips, Dion Dawkins, Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds.  Interestingly, Buffalo started the season with one of, if not the oldest rosters in the league, but apart from a handful of veteran stalwarts (Kyle Williams, Lorenzo Alexander and Jerry Hughes) it is the youngsters who are really starting to shine.  They are going to be a really solid core moving forward.