Is No. 1 Ranking Legit or a Mirage?

45 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Total D

# 25 total points allowed

# 19 points per game allowed

The #25 is based on some teams having played one less game. Both stats include pick 6's, fumbles returned for TD's, kicks returned for TD's, and safety's. Removing the TD's and safety's scored when the defensive unit was not on the field the Bills are a respectable 12th in points allowed.

1 minute ago, RememberTheRockpile said:

The #25 is based on some teams having played one less game. Both stats include pick 6's, fumbles returned for TD's, kicks returned for TD's, and safety's. Removing the TD's and safety's scored when the defensive unit was not on the field the Bills are a respectable 12th in points allowed.

Yes people have mentioned 1 more game. 

That does not change the average points per game or yards per game #s.  

They play great then they play like hey are not great.  

I am glad they have a high ranking.  

Shut down the next 5 of 6 opponents and I’ll buy in ? 

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yes people have mentioned 1 more game. 

That does not change the average points per game or yards per game #s.  

They play great then they play like hey are not great.  

I am glad they have a high ranking.  

Shut down the next 5 of 6 opponents and I’ll buy in ? 

The average points per game given up for the Bills team is 25.1 putting them at #19.

The average points per game given up by the Bills defence is 22.1 putting them at # 12. 

The discussion was/is about the Bills defense.

1 hour ago, billspro said:

It really doesn’t matter what you believe. Statistically they are the best D in football. 

I'm not trying to be a negative nancy here but this is a really illogical statement...based on what statistics? What stats weigh more than others? What do those stats actually mean? Do they translate into in game performance? How can we have the best Defense statistically yet be 23rd in red zone and 19th in points against? How can we allow teams the best starting field position ever seen in the NFL since 2010 and not have our yards per game allowed be affected? Conversely, how does our piss poor offense affect those red zone and points against stats as well?

The reality is this, the only statistic that really matters in real-time application for how good a team is is their record; W's and L's.  While this is in reference to the defense, statistics can certainly help to recognize trends and disprove myths, but examining through a lens lacking context and causality will produce misleading results.

Don't get me wrong, we have a very good defense, but they are not the best in the league. 

Edited by ctk232

1 hour ago, billspro said:

It really doesn’t matter what you believe. Statistically they are the best D in football. 

The offence is responsible for a lot of the points against. Turnovers, 3 and outs, and pick sixes are a big factor in points against.

That’s on the offence. Any time the offence has shown up we have held the other team under 14 points.

The offense has absolutely nothing to do with red zone efficiency.

When opponents get the ball inside the 20, they score touchdowns 80% of the time, which is amongst the worst in the league.

There's no way to spin it. That's a problem that needs to be addressed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

It's so nice seeing the negative people around doing their best to poo-poo the one bright spot on the team.

Kudos to you all. Kudos indeed!

I for one love the D this year.  I think saying #1 D can be misleading is all.  I certainly dont take anything away from the D this year.  Imagine if they were awful along with the mostly awful O.  Yikes.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

When opponents get the ball inside the 20, they score touchdowns 80% of the time, which is amongst the worst in the league.

Fret not, it's quite the illogical claim to say the bills are statistically the best defense in the league - even with our YPG allowed. Here's another - the Bills have allowed opponents the best starting field position ever in the NFL since 2010...that can't contribute to our YPG allowed ranking at all....

I think much of the responses to logic here come with the implied connotation that we're being negative about the only positive part of the team, when in fact I think we all agree our defense is very good to great? With some degree of error in defining what is "great" v. "very good" of course. Some of us just choose to look at it this through different lenses and gauge our opinions and expectations accordingly, and not hang on to the only grain of positivity in an otherwise dismal season. I don't care if we have the best defense in the league as long as the whole team plays the way it did Sunday on every Sunday - firing on all cylinders. 

Edited by ctk232
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Fret not, it's quite the illogical claim to say the bills are statistically the best defense in the league - even with our YPG allowed. Here's another - the Bills have allowed opponents the best starting field position ever in the NFL since 2010...that can't contribute to our YPG allowed ranking at all....

I think much of the responses to logic here come with the implied connotation that we're being negative about the only positive part of the team, when in fact I think we all agree our defense is very good to great? With some degree of error in defining what is "great" v. "very good" of course. Some of us just choose to look at it this through different lenses and gauge our opinions and expectations accordingly, and not hang on to the only grain of positivity in an otherwise dismal season. I don't care if we have the best defense in the league as long as the whole team plays the way it did Sunday on every Sunday - firing on all cylinders. 

Right. Nobody is saying the defense isn't good.

The Pollyanna crowd seems incapable of seeing any flaws in the defense because the narrative is that the defense is perfect. Far from it.

In order to address a problem, one has to acknowledge said problem. I learned that in AA. I decided not to address the problem, but that's not relevant here.

Edited by LSHMEAB

2 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

They did have a poor start to the season. I find red zone D is a lot like turnovers, it comes in waves through out the year. They have improved a lot and I expect that to continue as the season goes on. They are too good at everything to have a bad category.

39 minutes ago, billspro said:

They did have a poor start to the season. I find red zone D is a lot like turnovers, it comes in waves through out the year. They have improved a lot and I expect that to continue as the season goes on. They are too good at everything to have a bad category.

To quote Seinfeld, that's what makes it so vexing.

There's a huge difference between 3 and 6,7,or 8. It's something they need to be better at. From a personnel standpoint, they could really use an additional dynamic edge rusher to fill Lorax's role. Love the guy, but he's very close to the finish line.

What I see is this. If our zone blitz scheme can generate pressure with only rushing 4 this D is elite. If they can't get there(like against Baltimore, first half against SD and Indy), there are some holes to be found. Not huge holes but holes where teams can move the ball on us.

The D should continue to improve as the rookies and especially Edmunds gets more comfortable.  This D is pretty damn good. 5 of the last 6 teams have under 160 yards passing against is. That's unheard of these days and I dont care what the score is. Also the Bills have only given up over 400 yards once the whole season as well which is really impressive in its own right.

Football Outsiders DVOA which takes all kinds of variables into account on a per play basis ranks us 2nd in the NFL behind Chicago on defense.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, thurst44 said:

Not really true in gauging whether it's a truly great defense as if we have the worst drive start point (as i believe we do), that impacts ppg. For example, if the opponent picks the ball off at the 20, the D pushes them back to the 27 in a 3 & out, we give up 3 pts, but that's not really the defense's fault. I'm not saying that ypg are more indicative.

Exactly.

Points Allowed is probably 25 - 40% offense and STs. Hell, Peterman has thrown three pick-sixes this year. Should those 21 points really be counted against the defense? In no way.

Yards Allowed is virtually all on the defense.

12 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I actually looked this up the other day.  Average starting field position for our opponents is the 32 yardline or thereabouts according to the website.  Couple that with having way more time on the field than most and that shoots that theory down.  I had the same one, which is why I looked it up.

However, the website I looked at could be wrong.  I have to try and find a better website that I trust, but don't have time right now.

Try FootballOutsiders. Their drive stats are excellent.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestatsdef2018

And yeah, the Bills defense gets the third-worst average drive start in the league this year, a huge handicap. Not only that, but the average defense has faced 102 drives so far this year, while the Bills defense has faced 114, another major disadvantage. 4th-worst in the league.

While the offense gets the 7th best drive starts combined with the third-most total drives, a huge advantage.

The defense is very good, and the offense is handicapping them considerably. But nobody should need stats to tell them that. It's clear to the naked eye.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1