Just heard an interesting Eli rumor (not Bills related)

Kirby Jackson

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....well Peterman is now available............

Nope. My sources say Chucky has been on the phone with Nate’s agent working out a deal. My sources have been wrong before though, as I consider an educated guess sometimes as a reliable source.

Edited by drf1835
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

If this is true, and I doubt it is, it would be a move to buy them time to find a young franchise QB and not have to pay Dak big money. If they can convince Eli to come in for a decent salary (maybe some additional perks from Jerry?) They think his play will be better behind a good line and buys them some time to transition to someone new and maybe a good mentor. I think the Giants would make a mistake letting him go and would keep him to play and mentor a QB they draft in the 1st next year and buy them some time before giving him the reins.

Well we all know when Jerry says something he always means it and sticks to his word. Didnt he say one time that a coach was safe then fire him like a week later?

This is a fairly unique draft coming up as most teams I can think of either have a QB or have a developmental guy right now so the market is kind of soft for the draft, it's not a great draft but there will be NFL QBs in this draft.   I really liked what I saw from the kid from Oklahoma State Saturday.   500 yards passing is no joke, even if Oklahoma's defense is.  He'd be a 2nd rounder if I were looking.   

I don't think the Giants are getting rid of Eli until after 2019. I think that the Giants draft a top QB and have Eli be the place holder for 2019. Then they dump Eli for the young QB in 2020. But I do think that if the Giants were to outright cut or trade Eli he would probably land in Jacksonville (They are in desperate need of a QB and his old Giants coach is the President there) or Denver (They too will have a young QB who could maybe use a veteran mentor, plus if that defense adds a piece or two they could be good enough to make a push with competent QB play.)

The Cowboys are going to stick with Dak for at least one more season as the starter. He has shown some improvement from his Sophomore season and he still has one year left on his rookie deal. The Cowboys would be more so in the market for a veteran backup which Eli would fit but probably not be interested in. Besides Denver or Jacksonville I am not sure what other QB thirsty teams would want Eli.

The teams in 2019 that will probably be in the market for a QB

Giants

Denver 

Jacksonville 

Possibly Oakland if they trade Carr 

Dolphins 

Redskins (they are fine with Smith in the short term maybe they want a QB prospect to develop).

Bucs (If they are moving on from Winston)

I am not sure why the Giants would move on so quickly if they can have Eli be the veteran mentor for a rookie at least for a season. 

56 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

No doubt it's attractive in terms of destination, but you'd have to scratch your head as to why they aren't doing so well. Eli isn't great, but it's the OL there that really has problems. Combined with a bit of a coaching/FO nightmare, plus a toxic locker room and team chemistry, it doesn't sound like the most idyllic of destinations for a QB looking for a winning job.

Granted, they have more resources to argue than we do at present.

The Giants are a bit of a mess but the potential is there. They have a dynamic running back, one of the best receivers in the league, a young tight end with potential, and a decent WR 2 in Sheppard. Their O-line sucks and Eli might be shot but if you get a QB in there and add 2 pieces to the O-line they might have one of the best offenses in the league. Of course the defense is pretty horrid. 

Given how the Giants passed on Darnold to take Barkley they want to win asap and I could see them trading for Carr as Oakland with pick 1 could fully reset and take a QB and get a haul for Carr. I could see the Giants trading their top 5-10 pick, plus a couple of mid round 2019 picks, and a 1st in 2020 for Carr, Oakland's 2019 2nd, and a 3rd in 2020. The Giants would still have 2 early 2nd round picks in the draft to address the O-line and they get a young QB on a fairly affordable contract. Oakland swaps a early 2nd for and top 5 pick but also gets some mid round picks to add to their draft and gets a 1st in 2020 only having to give up the Bears 3rd to do so. 

Of course the Giants could just do the sensible thing and draft a young QB and stick with Eli for one more year but I think the Giants want to win asap for some reason. 

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

So Dak is not good now?  I cant keep up

He's struggled for a long time. Last year he regressed a lot, and this year seems no different.

Basically the NFL has adjusted to him (like it always does) and Dak has not elevated his game to continue to compete.

You can only get by on pure athleticism for so long in the NFL. Once your tendencies are well documented, you have to really learn the mental side of the game (route combinations, schemes, recognizing defenses, presnap adjustments, tempo, hot routes, etc.)

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A guy that I work with is exetremely close to the Manning Family (Cooper is his godfather). He was telling me today that the Cowboys have been having casual conversations with Eli’s management if he becomes available. I’m fairly certain that’s tampering but these types of conversations must be pretty common. They think, with that OL, he would have a couple of years left.

This is also interesting as to where they must stand regarding Dak. 

Would Eli play for jerruh? I could see Denver trying for one more shot of aged manning majic 

2 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Maybe they feel someone will be available and they will be in a position to draft the future. They have pieces in place to entice a quality FA. Maybe a Derek Carr or a Jameis Winston shakes loose?

I'm not a Carr fan.  He seems to be on the same level as Prescott, Tannehill, Bortles, et al.   Why would anyone describe Jameis Winston, a QB who lost his starting job to Fitzmagic, as "a quality FA"?

2 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

This is why I thought the Giants blew a prime opportunity to draft a QB this year. I don't care how much of a playmaker Barkley is. They should have drafted a QB with their first pick

Looked more like Trentative this past weekend

Maybe they didn't like Darnold, Allen or Rosen.  Drafting a QB prospect at #2 that you don't really believe in just because you need a QB is beyond stupid. 

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Eli is an interesting one. I'm not sure of his career stats but never thought of him as a top tier QB, yet he has those 2 Super Bowl rings and I will always love him for beating Brady each time. It'll be interesting to see what's said when it comes time for his HOF eligibility. I'm sure loads of people would say he should go in, I personally don't. But again, that's based on me not looking at his career stats. I never believed Warner was a HOFer either but there you go

Eli has always been "streaky", perfectly capable of playing crappy for a stretch and then getting "hot" and going on a tear.  That's what happened in both of his SB seasons.  In one of them, IIRC, he was on a season long hot streak.  In the other, he got hot toward the end of the season and into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Needle said:

Do you honestly think so? I think he has been brutal for awhile now. 

I just meant how much man love there was for Dak here @TBD. A lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over not drafting him. I guess it's okay we didn't now.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I just meant how much man love there was for Dak here @TBD. A lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth over not drafting him. I guess it's okay we didn't now.

Derek Carr is the same way. He’s in that tier IMO. He isn’t some franchise savior. He’s an acceptable QB.

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Oh yeah, so many of our fellow fans are batting .1000 with their recollection of who they liked each draft.