Just heard an interesting Eli rumor (not Bills related)

Kirby Jackson

A guy that I work with is exetremely close to the Manning Family (Cooper is his godfather). He was telling me today that the Cowboys have been having casual conversations with Eli’s management if he becomes available. I’m fairly certain that’s tampering but these types of conversations must be pretty common. They think, with that OL, he would have a couple of years left.

This is also interesting as to where they must stand regarding Dak. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A guy that I work with is exetremely close to the Manning Family (Cooper is his godfather). He was telling me today that the Cowboys have been having casual conversations with Eli’s management if he becomes available. I’m fairly certain that’s tampering but these types of conversations must be pretty common. They think, with that OL, he would have a couple of years left.

I can't see the Boys paying Dak the (minimum) $25M/year starting QB salary.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I can't see the Boys paying Dak the (minimum) $25M/year starting QB salary.

My guess is that they wouldn’t extend Dak and would try to use Eli for a couple of years while finding “a franchise QB.” It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me but apparently that’s the case.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

So did the Bills. One win, or loss for that matter, can't blur your vision for the rest of the season and beyond.

It wouldn't blur my vision so much that I would give up on Dak Prescott for a 37 year old Eli.    They have a young QB, a solid oline and a great running game.   Bringing in Eli wouldn't make them a contender any more than the Giants are a contender in NY.   

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

It wouldn't blur my vision so much that I would give up on Dak Prescott for a 37 year old Eli.    They have a young QB, a solid oline and a great running game.   Bringing in Eli wouldn't make them a contender any more than the Giants are a contender in NY.   

If this is true, and I doubt it is, it would be a move to buy them time to find a young franchise QB and not have to pay Dak big money. If they can convince Eli to come in for a decent salary (maybe some additional perks from Jerry?) They think his play will be better behind a good line and buys them some time to transition to someone new and maybe a good mentor. I think the Giants would make a mistake letting him go and would keep him to play and mentor a QB they draft in the 1st next year and buy them some time before giving him the reins.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Well we all know when Jerry says something he always means it and sticks to his word. Didnt he say one time that a coach was safe then fire him like a week later?

20 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

My guess is that they wouldn’t extend Dak and would try to use Eli for a couple of years while finding “a franchise QB.” It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me but apparently that’s the case.

It only doesn't make sense if you still think that Dak Prescott is a good enough QB to warrant being paid $20-$25 million a year.  Personally, I don't think he is. 

Being a fourth round draft pick, I don't think that Prescott is eligible for an extension of his original rookie contract.  I think the Cowboys have to give him a new contract or he hits FA.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

....well Peterman is now available............

• Haha (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Boy that turned quickly.

Actually, Prescott hasn't been all that good.  After his outstanding rookie season, he's not played nearly as well since.  There have been lots of excuses made for Prescott but generally if QBs don't take a significant step forward after their rookie season (or their first season as a starter if they don't start as rookies), then they probably aren't going to become better.  Prescott hasn't gotten significantly better in his second and third year than he was a rookie.  He's not worth franchise QB money because he's not a franchise QB.  He's more of a Tyrod Taylor, Blake Bortles or Ryan Tannehill level QB -- a starter if a team doesn't have better.

36 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Is Dak the next Tyrod?

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Eli has a no trade clause and has already said he will not remove it. So unless that changes he isn’t going anywhere