If Zay pans out, McD's first two drafts are awesome

1 hour ago, dubs said:

What does that have to do with what we are talking about. Jeez. I swear, it’s impossible to have a reasonable discussion on this board nowadays. 

The OP’s point was that if Zay keeps coming along, the 2017 and 2018 draft are looking good. 

I made add a joke/prediction that someone would try and argue that because the Bills didn’t draft Mahomes in 2017, McDermott should be fired and he’s the worst ever. 

The Dude/Jeffismagic bit and made that point and claimed that Mahomes was considered a “generational” talent. 

I proved he he was not by citing multiple predraft articles that explained how he was viewed at the time, which was very risky with lots of upside.  Maybe I should have provided examples of what generational talents are right before a draft, like Andrew Luck, John Elway, Conor McDavid, Zion Williamson, LaBron James. My bad. 

I also made the the point that given the FO situation and the fact that McD was new, no person in their right mind could expect him to draft a QB prospect like Mahomes in the first round. 

Dude said, I knew. 

You said what you did. 

Now I’m going to go put a cork on the end of a fork and start sending that and eye patches to members of TBD.

https://tenor.com/view/stevemartin-cork-fork-funny-gif-5689634

The point is you’re second guessing Mahomes, who had 50+ tds his last year in college based on what?  Mel Kiper’s early mocks???? There were draft “experts” who had Allen as a mid round pick.  Are the Bills stupid for taking him 7 overall?

one of the best offensive coaches traded up to take Mahomes.  Sort of looks ok now.   He was a rawer first round prospect but he has a generational arm. 

30 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I have. Getting high before games really helps. Peterman throws a pick and then you giggle. Weed is a must before Bills games. 

The Peterman experiment was hilarious in a terrible sort of way.  The only Bills game I couldn’t watch the last few years was the Chargers game.  I think I was being pranked with his ints.  Wish him well though.

Interesting thing about drafts - seem to wind up crapshoots

Donohoe:

2001 draft was solid - Clements, Schoebel, Henry, R Edwards, J Jennings 

2002 draft was terrrible - M Williams, J Reed, Denney

2003 draft was ok - McGahee, Kelsay, McGee, Crowell, Haggan

2004 draft was bad - Losman, Evans

2005 draft was terrible - Parrish

Levy

2006 draft was ok - Whitner, K Williams, and some mediocre guys

2007 draft was ok/good - Lynch, Poz, Edwards

Brandon

2008 draft was bad - McKelvin, S Johnson

2009 draft was ok - Wood, Byrd, Levitre

Nix

2010 draft was awful - Spiller, Troup, Wang

2011 draft was ok - Dareus, A Williams, Shephard, Searcy

2012 was ok - Gilmore, Glenn, Bradham

Whaley

2013 (Nix too) draft was ok or bad - Manuel, Woods, Alonso, Goodwin

2014 draft was terrible - Watkins, kouanjio, P Brown

2015 draft was bad - Darby, Miller

2016 draft was bad - Lawson, Ragland, Washington

McBeane

2017 ? - White, Jones, Dawkins, Milano

2018 ? - Allen, Edwards, Phillips

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, The_Dude said:

No, I’m not using hindsight. We had an awful QB situation, we had a generational talent fall to us, and the man that thought Nate Peterman is NFL caliber passed on Mahomes for an extra first and a cover 2 CB. That’s stupid. That’s a stupid move. It’s fair to criticize.  

A lot of teams passed on Mahomes.   You act like the dude was some slam dunk Andrew Luck prospect.   Maybe we should be mad for passing on Brady, Rogers, Brees, and Wilson while we're at it.  We had shots at those guys too.  I wonder if Cinci is glad they took John Ross with Mahomes still on the board.   Geez dude.

McShay on Mahomes in college:

Can be inconsistent in his approach. Needs to play inside the offense and show more discipline. Too eager to go big game hunting. Ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble. Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm. Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice. Operates from a narrow base and allows his upper body and arm to race ahead of his feet. Has a dip and wind-up in his standard release. Explosive delivery and follow-through causes some throws to sail. Needs better touch on intermediate and deep balls. Carries ball a little low in the pocket. Impatient. Will leave pocket prematurely rather than standing in and winning in rhythm. Better as a scrambler than pure runner. Looked a little less mobile in the open field this season.

37 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I have. Getting high before games really helps. Peterman throws a pick and then you giggle. Weed is a must before Bills games. 

i agree.   it's also a must before pee wee football games, man are they hilarious.....  (sorry to my little nephew jimmie, but when you grow up and read this post, you'll be giggling too)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

A lot of teams passed on Mahomes.   You act like the dude was some slam dunk Andrew Luck prospect.   Maybe we should be mad for passing on Brady, Rogers, Brees, and Wilson while we're at it.  We had shots at those guys too.  I wonder if Cinci is glad they took John Ross with Mahomes still on the board.   Geez dude.

Can be inconsistent in his approach. Needs to play inside the offense and show more discipline. Too eager to go big game hunting. Ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble. Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm. Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice. Operates from a narrow base and allows his upper body and arm to race ahead of his feet. Has a dip and wind-up in his standard release. Explosive delivery and follow-through causes some throws to sail. Needs better touch on intermediate and deep balls. Carries ball a little low in the pocket. Impatient. Will leave pocket prematurely rather than standing in and winning in rhythm. Better as a scrambler than pure runner. Looked a little less mobile in the open field this season.

i agree.   it's also a must before pee wee football games, man are they hilarious.....  (sorry to my little nephew jimmie, but when you grow up and read this post, you'll be giggling too)

McShay ?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

I like your post — that said, I thought Mahomes was a superior prospect to Luck. There were a few of us. 

5 hours ago, ngbills said:

Donohoe:

Levy

Brandon

Nix

Whaley

McBeane

I feel like bad was because we didn't keep them. Goodwin, Woods, Watkins, Brown, Darby, and Ragland are all doing well in the NFL. I'd split up that McBeane too, because Beane wasn't here for the 2017 draft. 

11 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I would hope that they run the 2019 offseason with an eye toward 2020 and free agents they will be looking to sign/extend.   2020 will be Tre White's 4th year they shouldn't wait just give him an extension then.  I would be ok with giving Shaq some mid level money to stay he's earning his pay now.   But if he wants 70 million I wouldn't hesitate to move on.   

I agree that they can't spend all their money in 2019 as they have to be smart to roll over some money to extend players in 2020 and 2021. However they have to make a push to fill out the offense via free agency and possibly fill a major defensive need. Remember that after 2019 some big contracts expire, Shady, Clay, and Hughs all expire and Trent Murphy's deal is also easy to get out of. Outside of Star the team doesn't have any major 2020 commitments at the moment. The teams cap is very well managed for the future even if they add several big contracts in the 2019 off-season they will be able to add more space as big contracts fall off after 2019. 

6 hours ago, ngbills said:

Donohoe:

Levy

Brandon

Nix

Whaley

McBeane

Donohoe was a pretty bad drafter, great at free agency acquisitions but terrible at drafting, outside of 2001 he did not have one single good draft, I would give him a 3.5/10 for drafting. The Levy/Brandon Era was a little bit better, they seemed to miss on early picks but ***** or just do OK on higher picks. 2009 and 2007 were good or above average drafts but 2006 and 2008 were bad. I would give Levy/Brandon a 5.5/10 for drafting. 

Nix was better in his 3 drafts 2010 was one of the worst drafts this team has ever had but 2011 netted 3 defensive starters and 2012 netted 2 defensive starters and a big piece along the O-line. I would give Nix a 7/10 for drafting from 2010 to 2012. Had the 2010 draft not been so terrible he probably would have been one of the better drafters in the league at that time. 

Whaley was awful at drafting kind of similar to Donohoe as he was really good at free agent acquisitions. 2013 was subpar, Woods and Kiko were good players, Goodwin obviously a talent but hurt while he was here. 2014 was a mess, Watkins was a good player but the cost to trade up was too high, the only other player to emerge from that draft was P.Brown who was a decent starter. 2015 was his best draft as Darby was a good player and Miller had two good years to start his career. 2016 was pretty dam bad as Lawson is the only player remaining and the jury is still out on him. I would give Whaley a 2.5/10 for drafting. 

McBeane's two drafts have good early returns esp the 2017 draft which looks like it could have netted 3 key starters and possibly 4 if Zay pans out. 2018 is hard to tell some good talent but way too early to tell.