If Zay pans out, McD's first two drafts are awesome

14 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....I'd bet McBeane already has a plan to defer some of that 80 to 2020 (think he can do it) and knows who the UFA's will be...just a thought............

I would hope that they run the 2019 offseason with an eye toward 2020 and free agents they will be looking to sign/extend.   2020 will be Tre White's 4th year they shouldn't wait just give him an extension then.  I would be ok with giving Shaq some mid level money to stay he's earning his pay now.   But if he wants 70 million I wouldn't hesitate to move on.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, teef said:

the way you propped him up, you were very wrong.  he has a good game or two, and you think he's solid?   do you think the jags feel they're good at the qb position?  at some point posters need to move on from mahomes.  continually bringing it up is just a sorry look.  even if you liked him, who cares?  he's on the chiefs, everyone has vented, be a big boy and move on already.  you're like a jilted girlfriend.

Ill move on when McDermott is fried. When we have a franchise QB, I’ll move on. 

And, I was right in that we needed to ditch EJ after his first year and the best option in the draft was Bortles. I was right on both those accounts. 

15 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

1. No, I will not move on. I love hated McDumbass since that awful night. 

2. Bortles was the closet thing to a miss I’ve ever committed. And how wrong was I? Did he not throw for over 300 the other day? Did he not get his team deep into the playoffs last year? Was he not the best QB in that class? Was I correct in wanting to move on from EJ before a lot of people were? 

I know good QBs when I see them. 

Im better at it than scouts, especially Bills scouts, and any person unfortunate enough to follow my ramblings over the years can’t deny that. 

Everybody brings up Bortles with me. But how wrong was I? 

You're our hero.  We bow down to you.

One question though.  Given your brilliance shouldn't you have a job in the league?

22 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Ill move on when McDermott is fried. When we have a franchise QB, I’ll move on. 

And, I was right in that we needed to ditch EJ after his first year and the best option in the draft was Bortles. I was right on both those accounts. 

so...what's the end game here?  do you want us to all realize your football acumen?  i'm just not sure why bringing something up again and again, even when it's not the topic of discussion, is helpful.  i'm just not sure anyone cares.  

at the end of the day, when i think of the dude and football evaluations, all i remember is how you did the same nonsense with bortles.  bortles this and bortles that.  again and again.

1 hour ago, teef said:

so...what's the end game here?  do you want us to all realize your football acumen?  i'm just not sure why bringing something up again and again, even when it's not the topic of discussion, is helpful.  i'm just not sure anyone cares.  

at the end of the day, when i think of the dude and football evaluations, all i remember is how you did the same nonsense with bortles.  bortles this and bortles that.  again and again.

No, well maybe. I'd like for people to quit arguing with me, and to quit having blind faith in a coach that cannot evaluate offensive talent. Clearly, there's a case to be made that McDermott is clueless offensively. 

What I want is a freaking QB. That's it. I just want a freaking QB. Maybe it's Allen? Hopefully. If not, I'll get my wish and McDermott will get fired.

But yes, I'm better at this than the Bills. Also, I find it funny when Bills fans say Bortles sucks. Look at the crapfest we've rolled out for 20 years.

23 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

No, well maybe. I'd like for people to quit arguing with me, and to quit having blind faith in a coach that cannot evaluate offensive talent. Clearly, there's a case to be made that McDermott is clueless offensively. 

What I want is a freaking QB. That's it. I just want a freaking QB. Maybe it's Allen? Hopefully. If not, I'll get my wish and McDermott will get fired.

But yes, I'm better at this than the Bills. Also, I find it funny when Bills fans say Bortles sucks. Look at the crapfest we've rolled out for 20 years.

no one is arguing with you.  the only arguments you get are because you repeatedly bring up the same topic, even when it isn't being discussed.  and we all need to  get over this absurd notion that people are blindly accepting mcdermott and staff.  most are skeptical and want to see how this plays out.  most of us are being adults about this, and would like to see improvements the off season before deciding love or hate for this new staff.

if you like to think you're better than this than the bills...fine.  if that props up you life to make you feel better, have at it.  i personally never heard you once mention that you wanted mahomes.  i sure did hear that  you want bortles over and over again, so excuse me if i'm not impressed with your qb evaluation.  i'm not sure anyone is.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, teef said:

if you like to think you're better than this than the bills...fine.  if that props up you life to make you feel better, have at it.  i personally never heard you once mention that you wanted mahomes.  i sure did hear that  you want bortles over and over again, so excuse me if i'm not impressed with your qb evaluation.  i'm not sure anyone is.

No, it does the opposite. It does NOT make me feel better that I could do a better job than McBeane (only when it comes to picking players, not coaching) because I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of Bills football. I just want touchdowns again. I was 12 when Jimbo retired. I'm 34. I've seen a lot of suck, and the Bills brad of football isn't even NFL caliber. It doesn't make me feel better to see the Bills making the same mistakes year after year. It enrages me to the point where I don't know if my love for the Bills is now exceeded by my hate for the Bills for 20 years of awful football. It does NOT make me feel better -- it makes me feel hopeless. 

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

No, it does the opposite. It does NOT make me feel better that I could do a better job than McBeane (only when it comes to picking players, not coaching) because I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired of Bills football. I just want touchdowns again. I was 12 when Jimbo retired. I'm 34. I've seen a lot of suck, and the Bills brad of football isn't even NFL caliber. It doesn't make me feel better to see the Bills making the same mistakes year after year. It enrages me to the point where I don't know if my love for the Bills is now exceeded by my hate for the Bills for 20 years of awful football. It does NOT make me feel better -- it makes me feel hopeless. 

My god the delusion...you’re not better at “this” than Beane/McDermott or any other talent evaluator the Bills’ have had over the course of the drought or their whole history for that matter. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

i'm 41 and i've seen all the same things.  it's not worth getting upset over at all.  i didn't even watch the last two games because of it, (i wish i saw the jets game though).  being angry at the bills is a complete waste of time.  once the sport isn't fun, just don't follow for a while.  on top of that, we all knew it would be a down year.  i certainly didn't know it was going to be this level of awful, but i do think it's temporary.  at this point we know what the team is, and the posters who are constantly complaining are doing so because they simply love to B word.  i'm waiting to see how this plays out into 2019.  we're all too old to get angry about it.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The_Dude said:

No, I knew. 

How? Because when you watch Mahomes he can throw darts with pinpoint accuracy, off balance, and from multiple platforms. Meaning the dudes arm is so talented his footwork doesn’t matter and he can squeeze balls into double coverage that other guys can’t because of his accuracy. So he doesn’t have to be great at reading defense or footwork. Because he’s a better version of Favre. So I knew. 

No, you didn't. People can evaluate all available factors and make educated guesses; however, nobody can know for certain how any given athlete will perform in the future. Anyone claiming to have such an ability is either extremely arrogant or a fool.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm 41 and i've seen all the same things.  it's not worth getting upset over at all.  i didn't even watch the last two games because of it, (i wish i saw the jets game though).  being angry at the bills is a complete waste of time.  once the sport isn't fun, just don't follow for a while.  on top of that, we all knew it would be a down year.  i certainly didn't know it was going to be this level of awful, but i do think it's temporary.  at this point we know what the team is, and the posters who are constantly complaining are doing so because they simply love to B word.  i'm waiting to see how this plays out into 2019.  we're all too old to get angry about it.

teef.....official zen master of TBD. Well said. Yeah, I'm still the guy that throws the remote. I'm out for this season. Cancelled DirecTv. Cable is a waste of money and I aint payin another dime for this. Maybe next year. Hopefully Allen shows a little somethin. 

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

No, you didn't. People can evaluate all available factors and make educated guesses; however, nobody can know for certain how any given athlete will perform in the future. Anyone claiming to have such an ability is either extremely arrogant or a fool.

For an arrogant fool I'm right a lot. Like a lot. 

On 11/13/2018 at 10:49 AM, MJS said:

That's partially true, but I think the number of other good players is impressive.

Is it anymore impressive than Whaley?  We had SB talent minus the qb.  Odds are we are finishing with a worse record than any year under the previous regime.  

Also, one of the biggest knocks on Whaley was trading up in the draft.  These regime has done this 3 times - Allen (not a fan of the pick but I’m ok with trading up for a qb), Edmunds (I like him a lot but will he be that much better than Darius Leonard who went in the 2nd), and Zay (playing better but could have not traded up and taken JuJu or Kupp).

its all about the qb.  Other positions aren’t that hard to find.  Hell, the Jauron teams could always find 7 wins.  

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

Ok, let’s say Beane somehow could magically run the draft from Carolina and took Mahomes.. Does Mahomes come with KC’s OL, RB’s, WR’s and TE’s or are we assuming he’s still GOAT status throwing to KB and Charles Clay? 

I have no doubt he would have better than a 63 qb rating.  

1 minute ago, The_Dude said:

teef.....official zen master of TBD. Well said. Yeah, I'm still the guy that throws the remote. I'm out for this season. Cancelled DirecTv. Cable is a waste of money and I aint payin another dime for this. Maybe next year. Hopefully Allen shows a little somethin. 

Hopefully, you can find a way not to be that guy. Seriously. I think most of us have been there at one point or another; however, if you can find a way to follow them that doesn't trigger such a level of frustration, it would be so much more enjoyable. :beer:

13 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Hopefully, you can find a way not to be that guy. Seriously. I think most of us have been there at one point or another; however, if you can find a way to follow them that doesn't trigger such a level of frustration, it would be so much more enjoyable. :beer:

we've all been there.  i'm just don't with letting the bills get me angry.  it wasn't even until the last 5-6 years that i've hit that point.  it's much more "pleasant" to follow the team now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

Agreed. 

Also and plus - the original point was that saying Mahomes was considered a “generational prospect” is flat out revisionist history. He flew up draft board post season during combines and was thought of as a physically gifted prospect that had poor footwork, came from a college offense that produced big numbers but not good pro QBs, and was extremely reckless with his throws. 

NFL GMs has him as high as mid first all the way down to a 4th rounder as late as mid-April!  Expecting a new coach using lame duck GM/staff insight to take a guy like that is hilarious and shows me dude has no idea what he’s talking about and only cares to tell people he doesn’t know on a message board that he rated Mahomes as a “generational” prospect. Pathetic really. 

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

Agreed. 

Also and plus - the original point was that saying Mahomes was considered a “generational prospect” is flat out revisionist history. He flew up draft board post season during combines and was thought of as a physically gifted prospect that had poor footwork, came from a college offense that produced big numbers but not good pro QBs, and was extremely reckless with his throws. 

NFL GMs has him as high as mid first all the way down to a 4th rounder as late as mid-April!  Expecting a new coach using lame duck GM/staff insight to take a guy like that is hilarious and shows me dude has no idea what he’s talking about and only cares to tell people he doesn’t know on a message board that he rated Mahomes as a “generational” prospect. Pathetic really. 

We took a 56% project quarterback from Wyoming, which we traded up for.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We took a 56% project quarterback from Wyoming, which we traded up for.

What does that have to do with what we are talking about. Jeez. I swear, it’s impossible to have a reasonable discussion on this board nowadays. 

The OP’s point was that if Zay keeps coming along, the 2017 and 2018 draft are looking good. 

I made add a joke/prediction that someone would try and argue that because the Bills didn’t draft Mahomes in 2017, McDermott should be fired and he’s the worst ever. 

The Dude/Jeffismagic bit and made that point and claimed that Mahomes was considered a “generational” talent. 

I proved he he was not by citing multiple predraft articles that explained how he was viewed at the time, which was very risky with lots of upside.  Maybe I should have provided examples of what generational talents are right before a draft, like Andrew Luck, John Elway, Conor McDavid, Zion Williamson, LaBron James. My bad. 

I also made the the point that given the FO situation and the fact that McD was new, no person in their right mind could expect him to draft a QB prospect like Mahomes in the first round. 

Dude said, I knew. 

You said what you did. 

Now I’m going to go put a cork on the end of a fork and start sending that and eye patches to members of TBD.

https://tenor.com/view/stevemartin-cork-fork-funny-gif-5689634

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dubs said:

Agreed. 

Nah, its not that revisionist.  Or its only revisionist for those who didn't think he'd amount to much. 

Because they couldn't see past the footwork, they'd overlook the accuracy he has. Because of the system he was in, they overlooked his playmaking ability..especially his ability to improvise. It goes on and on.

Well, you were wrong about him. More importantly, McD was ...well..horribly wrong. 

Accept it.

20 minutes ago, dubs said:

:)

It doesn't matter where Todd McShay might have had him rated, or where some kid from SBNation might have had him rated.

To Andy Reid, he was actually a generational talent. He's said so.

If Bruce Arians is to be believed, and I don't doubt him, he also wanted him. I think he's said something like, he'd still have his job today.

NO wanted him. He was to be Drew Brees' successor.

If you notice something about those three franchises. 

Three places that know the value of a good QB.

Three places/people that don't take a QB high very often.

Three places/people that saw things in him that the amateurs didn't see.

Teams that knew QB's wanted him.

THOSE are the ratings that matter. Not the ratings that come off some fan blog or the lips of a Mel Kiper.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have. Getting high before games really helps. Peterman throws a pick and then you giggle. Weed is a must before Bills games. 

• Haha (+1) 1