If Zay pans out, McD's first two drafts are awesome

I would still prefer Glenn at LT. I think he is a clear upgrade over Dawkins. It's more the additions judged against who they replaced that I'm interested in. There are a lot of former Bills performing well in other places, so it's probably too early to judge. Plus, I want McD fired because every third game is a blowout.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

the number of players (and the picks) traded to get the picks which were packaged to move up to 7 needs to be factored in. 

Yeah I wonder how the draft would have looked if we had just signed Cousins or even gave the job to Teddy Bridge and stayed put, not drafted a qb at all.  We would have had two more picks in the mid second round and the first pick of the 3rd round.

9 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Thats true.   Maybe bringing in someone to help evaluate QBs would be the right move I don't know.    I see the foundation they have laid here and i just don't want it blown up because they missed on the QB position.    

Like I said, that's how it goes in the NFL. Miss on a QB you don't win.  Fail to hit on a QB and you keep losing until you get fired.  New regime comes in and typically that means new schemes that do not fit all current personnel and a house cleaning ensues like the one we just witnessed. 

26 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think if Allen doesn't pan out we go back and draft another QB.   No reason to let everything to go waste and start another rebuild when they have the roster to be competitive.  

I liken it back to the 90s Steelers.   They were a QB away for years, pretty much from 1992-2004.  But they didn't fire Cowher, they kept at it until they got their QB.    

Based upon what we’ve seen so far, I hope this would be how the Bills handle it. IF Allen doesn’t pan out, I’d give these guys at least one more shot at finding the right guy. 

Even under the best circumstances, picking a QB is a crap shoot. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Da webster guy said:

I know there are varying degrees of involvement by coach McD with each of the picks in the past two drafts, but now that Zay has somehow emerged as a good receiver our last two years we have

TreD

Zay

Dawk

Milano

Last year

Josh

Tremaine

Harry

Taron

Teller

Obviously Josh is the wildcard here, but currently this is 9 starters in two years through the draft.   Almost half of the 22 man starting team in two years, all under rookie deals.   I don't have time to look it up, but that's likely tops in the league, nine starters who are either rooks or sophomores.  There's a little Whaley influence, and Beane obviously, but if McD has been significantly involved in these past two drafts like they say he has, it's a very encouraging sign that we have a knack for identifying and developing the right kind of players here.

Hows about no. Passing on Mahomes makes his first draft awful any way you slice it. 

40 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If Allen doesn't pan out McDermott and Beane might not be with the team and as you should all know by know, new front offices bring their own way of doing things and want their own hand picked personnel.  Essentially they bring their own processes. 

Pegula has to be aware of the hopeless cycle of the last 15 plus years here of turning over the HC and/or GM.  I would think barring collapse he will avoid doing that.  Pegula had to take last Sunday's performance especially by the defense as McD has not lost the team.  Can't be terrible/awful to stick with a coach within reason ala the Bengals.  I have not heard of a spike in suicides amongst Bengals fans in Northern Kentucky and Southern Ohio.  

Here is the thing with bad teams. It easier to start lesser quality players you drafted. You could start 20 draft picks from the past two years and that does not mean the draft was a home run. It they are showing it on the field immediately maybe. Or after a few years legit players. This has been a debate forever - the current coaches always start their draft picks and then we say how good they drafted. Then after a few years the guys are not better and no longer starting. Rinse and repeat. 

Not saying the drafts are bad. Just that the logic of using if they start is faulty. 

43 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

Hows about no. Passing on Mahomes makes his first draft awful any way you slice it. 

Just as the all knowing dubs predicted.

1 hour ago, dubs said:

I’m bracing for the inevitable Mahomes comment followed by fire Beane (even though he wasn’t on staff but apparently was running the draft from Carolina or something like that). 

?

Wow the leaps people can make. Zay had an ok game. Teller has one start. Dawkins is a starter but certainly not elite LT.  Edmunds has not played great but is so raw. Harrison has not played many snaps but DT is so hard to transition from college to pros. 

Just to be clear even people like myself that have criticized Zay never said they couldn't improve. 

As others have said it is all on Allen. If he is a franchise QB no one will care how much they gave up. Same for Edmunds. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I would still prefer Glenn at LT. I think he is a clear upgrade over Dawkins. It's more the additions judged against who they replaced that I'm interested in. There are a lot of former Bills performing well in other places, so it's probably too early to judge. Plus, I want McD fired because every third game is a blowout.

If the Bills are smart, they'll draft a tackle high (or sign a top free agent) and move Dawkins to RT.  When a team is rebuilding, every third game can be a blowout.  It's called patience.

Edited by Formerly Allan in MD

1 minute ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Wow the leaps people can make. Zay had an ok game. Teller has one start. Dawkins is a starter but certainly not elite LT.  Edmunds has not played great but is so raw. Harrison has not played many snaps but DT is so hard to transition from college to pros. 

Just to be clear even people like myself that have criticized Zay never said they couldn't improve. 

As others have said it is all on Allen. If he is a franchise QB no one will care how much they gave up. Same for Edmunds. 

Just like when players get off to slow starts the real test is 3 years in.  The future looks bright for a lot of these picks but if they don't continue to develop then this draft assessment changes in a hurry. 

Kiko and Preston Brown looked super promising year one.  Aaron William's rookie year was great.  Karlos Williams got off to a hot start. 

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Just like when players get off to slow starts the real test is 3 years in.  The future looks bright for a lot of these picks but if they don't continue to develop then this draft assessment changes in a hurry. 

Kiko and Preston Brown looked super promising year one.  Aaron William's rookie year was great.  Karlos Williams got off to a hot start. 

Weird I remember Aaron Williams being a disaster his rookie year, he only got good when we moved him to safety in his second year.

Also: Zay Dion and Teller are all mediocre to serviceable. The quality players are all on one side of the ball. If McBeane can have the same kind of success drafting offensive players then we could be in business. A lot of it will be on Josh's shoulders.