If Zay pans out, McD's first two drafts are awesome

Guest K-GunJimKelly12
7 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

So he's a legit NFL WR1 or WR2 on a playoff caliber team?

I don't think he's there just yet.

I find it very doubtful he'll ever be a legit number 1 but I think he is a legit #2 right now.  He dropped a lot of passes last year but he ain't anymore.  He gets open a lot and he has been very consistent for as bad as the offense has been around him.  I was hugely down on Zay when the season started and thought he was likely a bust but I was wrong.  Stick him in a good offense where there is a true number one on the other side and he will look great. 

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

If Allen pans out the drafts were awesome.  If he doesn't they're not looking so hot.

I think if Allen doesn't pan out we go back and draft another QB.   No reason to let everything to go waste and start another rebuild when they have the roster to be competitive.  

I liken it back to the 90s Steelers.   They were a QB away for years, pretty much from 1992-2004.  But they didn't fire Cowher, they kept at it until they got their QB.    

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Soda Popinski said:

I think if Allen doesn't pan out we go back and draft another QB.   No reason to let everything to go waste and start another rebuild when they have the roster to be competitive.  

I liken it back to the 90s Steelers.   They were a QB away for years, pretty much from 1992-2004.  But they didn't fire Cowher, they kept at it until they got their QB.    

If Allen doesn't pan out McDermott and Beane might not be with the team and as you should all know by know, new front offices bring their own way of doing things and want their own hand picked personnel.  Essentially they bring their own processes. 

Just now, Jauronimo said:

If Allen doesn't pan out McDermott and Beane might not be with the team and as you should all know by know, new front offices bring their own way of doing things and want their own hand picked personnel.  Essentially they bring their own processes. 

I hope we don't fire them for picking a QB that didn't pan out if that happens.   The smart thing to do is to keep moving forward not grenade the whole thing.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I have to agree with the OP.  There have been some good pickups in the past 2 drafts.

While these guys all seem to be good picks - I guess what we don't know is if they are great yet, just too early to tell.  Are they good because they are on "this" team full of general crappiness?  Or are they good enough that on most other teams they'd be starters?

Don't get me wrong, I like all those players named.  I think Zay seems to have figured out his niche.  If we had a competent #1 - this team would go much further.  I don't lament letting Sammy go, sometimes a player just has to move on and his shelf life on the Bills was up.

Trusting the Process.

Just now, Soda Popinski said:

I hope we don't fire them for picking a QB that didn't pan out if that happens.   The smart thing to do is to keep moving forward not grenade the whole thing.  

That is literally why Whaley is no longer with the team and Beane and McDermott are here.  That's how it goes in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

But on this board he needs to be fired immediately, the guy is a bum, he's not worth keeping, why does he still have a job, OMG the dude sucks as a coach, & Bean is the worst GM ever in the NFL he couldn't find talent in the dark if all 5 fingers on one hand were flash lights !!!!! 

BLAH BLAH BLAH !! Shows us what a lot of Bills fans know about football in general ...

That is literally why Whaley is no longer with the team and Beane and McDermott are here.  That's how it goes in the NFL.

I disagree Whaley was gone for much different reasons than just EJ not working out.    There was in fighting with the coaching staff, poor salary cap management, getting rid of popular players like Fred Jackson, wasting draft picks.  Totally different scenario. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

No whaley isnt here because he doubled and tripled doen onManuel, ruined the cap, couldnt articulate an 11th grader sentence, and generally caused a rift between multiple coaches.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Bill_with_it said:

No whaley isnt here because he doubled and tripled doen onManuel, ruined the cap, couldnt articulate an 11th grader sentence, and generally caused a rift between multiple coaches.

2 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I disagree Whaley was gone for much different reasons than just EJ not working out.    There was in fighting with the coaching staff, poor salary cap management, getting rid of popular players like Fred Jackson, wasting draft picks.  Totally different scenario. 

So in other words he wasted draft picks and botched the QB position.  The other issues are a product of losing.  And if Allen doesn't pan out....

Hopefully you can connect the dots.

5 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

I'd like to see them take another stab at QB. It's the smart move. Not in the 1st round though of course, but I'm open to a 2nd round pick. Keep Barkley onboard as well. 

5 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

I generally agree with your sentiment, however, assuming Allen is a miss, he wouldn't be the only QB they mis-evaluated during their tenure.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I generally agree with your sentiment, however, assuming Allen is a miss, he wouldn't be the only QB they mis-evaluated during their tenure.

Thats true.   Maybe bringing in someone to help evaluate QBs would be the right move I don't know.    I see the foundation they have laid here and i just don't want it blown up because they missed on the QB position.    

• Like (+1) 2

Looks good. The biggest mistake this regime made was the handling of the QB situation and loyalty to Peterman. They never brought in anyone good enough to compete and wasted time with the NP/AJ fiasco, which cost them 2-3 wins this year. The good thing is that this seems to be corrected and Peterman is finally off the roster (for now)  I don't care if he stays on the practice squad but Barkley should be the #1 or #2 for the foreseeable future with either another vet as the #3 or a development guy