Star is starting to show he was worth the $. Panthers really missing him.

JerseyBills

22 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

This was our biggest signing in FA last year and largely deemed a bad , overpaid signing by national and some local media. While his numbers might look that way to the average fan , he has made a huge impact in what was a pretty putrid run D last year. 

While Buf sits in the middle of the pack in total rush yards allowed, they are 3rd in the league in ypc given up ,at 3.8 per carry. He has mainly done what he's supposed to do , eat space and free up his teammates and young up n coming LB to make the play. He's not flashy but he was a necessity for this scheme to be effective in the run game.

On the flip side , it looks like he's being sorely missed in Car. Even with alot of big names and pro bowlers in that front 7 , they currently have given up the 4th most rushing yards in the league and are tied for 2nd most at giving up 5.1 ypc! They are also tied for 3rd worse giving up 12 rushing TD , compared to 7 by Buffalo. 

Just wanted to show some love to Star and Beane . In his first full off-season as GM , the cash strapped Beane made Star his highest paid FA and while not a sexy pickup by any means, he is a big reason we are currently the #1 ranked defense and a muchhhhh improved rush defense. We all know the secondary is young and will have years to grow together but the front 7 quietly is flexing its guns. 

Minus Kyle and Lorax , this is a group that will be together for a few years themselves and Murphy (if able to stay healthy) and Star were great additions. Milano is on the verge of being a superstar. Edmunds has made rookie mistakes but the D just plays better with him. Shaq seems to have finally turned the lights on and is extremely versatile.  Both Phillips look to be great additions and Hughes is just a beast. Probably the most underrated DE in the league. With only 5.5 sacks, he's 3rd in the league in QB pressures , and has mastered the art of stripping the ball. Just wanted to give the front 7 much deserved props. 

Just imagine this defense with an offense that isn't consistently putting them in bad field position , consistently going 3& out and actually giving them a lead to play with. They can be an elite , championship defense for a few years. Mr. Beane will have plenty of opportunity to make that a reality this upcoming off-season .

I like the signing and I liked the fact that he was a space eater.

However, yeah, I am surprised that Carolina appears to missing him that much.  Of course they will make the playoffs, but they aren't winning their division and they are beating the Rams or Saints (or maybe even Minnesota) and THAT is what it is all about for that franchise right now.

I loved this signing he (Star)was on my wish list along with drafting his brother or cousin what ever he is.

The play of both Phillips and the ageless Meatball  leaving it all on the field every week has also been noticeable.

Another CB,DE and some LB depth and that side of the roster is set.

BTW anyone who says stopping the run is old school in a passing league doesn't get the concept.

Stop the run make the other team one dimensional and get after the QB.

This philosophy works 9.5 times out of 10 or 148 2/3rds % using Big Poppa Pumps math ;)

Edited by JMF2006

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It was obvious to everyone who followed the Bills closely enough that coaching was the problem on defense under Rex and his brother. 

Im not a fan of how they've handled the personnel on offense and offense in general  to this point, but McDermott can coach defense. 

They are essentially banking on this offseason to get just about everything on the offense fixed. Bold strategy. 

I agree - it is bold... it might very well prove to be unwise. But I don't think that is a stick to bash the defense with.  They have done a good job there. That is pretty well established.

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I'm guessing that this has already been brought up, but per Football Outsiders, Carolina is the #14 rush defense in the league versus Buffalo being #12. Buffalo has improved pretty dramatically from a year ago, but Carolina hasn't fallen off much at all. And both of their DTs are rated much higher by PFF than Star. It's really the pass defense where Carolina has struggled this year, which as we know, Star has almost zero impact on.

Why are you bringing logic into an emotional debate?

19 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I guess my point was their offenses are much better and more consistent. It seemed like you were comparing our offense to theirs , but in reality Dallas averages 60 more ypg and Carolina averages 90 more ypg , so even though they don't have elite offenses, they are still much better than the current Bills O. That's basically all I was saying.

That is likely to change next year though,as we could spend the majority of our money on O and add the finishing touches to an already Great defense.

Of course I was comparing their offenses.  But offenses score points, not yards, and those teams, like the Bills, struggle to score points---yet their nDefenses don't struggle to prevent their opponents from scoring points.

On 11/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

But it’s also about modern football.  Star is really good at his role.  But the truth is paying big money to one dimensional DT in a passing league isn’t the best use of team resources and doesn’t have a major impact on your team.  

It is if teams ram the ball down your throat for a couple hundred yards a game. Modern football includes running and stopping the run.