Star is starting to show he was worth the $. Panthers really missing him.

JerseyBills

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

ESPN as well.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

5.1 ypa for Carolina. Tied for 2nd highest in NFL 

Where'd you get your info!?!

They don't have a historically bad offense who has started  4 QB in 10 games, including one rookie. If we just had a competent O, which both those teams have, the defense would benefit greatly. Our offense has been brutal for the most part. 

That's the offense rankings, not D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dorquemada said:

McD and Beane certainly seem to have an eye for Defensive talent, and Star has been a good addition.  I'm pretty disappointed in Murphy as he cant seem to stay on the field, which if I recall was the knock on him coming in?

'

yes

4 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Dallas just drafted a top 5 rb and traded a 1st for a WR. Carolina also drafted a 1st Rd RB and drafted a 1st Rd WR. So they put much more emphasis on their offense, and they are both in the middle of the pack. Our O has been abysmal, minus 2 games. 

Dallas drafted a RB 3 drafts ago. 

I don't know was the rest of your post has to do with what I said.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It seems to me that they are rebiulding the team in increments....this year....the defense (and drafting the franchise QB)

I am hoping that next year is the year that the offensive moves everyone wants are made

Would you say it’s logical to build the defense, select a qb and then wait a year to surround him with talent?

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Would you say it’s logical to build the defense, select a qb and then wait a year to surround him with talent?

I would not....but that doesnt mean I dont understand the situation.....

We have too much dead money this year....they tried to bring in a couple of guys that are having decent seasons this year and they turned us down.....I expect more of the same of that which is why our draft will be important.

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Also our rushing defense would be even better if our opponents don't have a 30 point lead at the start of the 2nd half.  Teams have just run in the 2nd half to close out games.

33 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

But none of that would matter if you don't have a decent OL....Your QB will be smothered in the backfield every play and even if he got around that he wouldn't have time to throw to that stud WR who can catch everything...

Edited by ganesh
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Almost identical to Polian’s formula except after the pass rusher who chases  the QB, he proritized the OT that could protect your passer from the guy that chases your QB. 

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Dallas drafted a RB 3 drafts ago. 

I don't know was the rest of your post has to do with what I said.

I guess my point was their offenses are much better and more consistent. It seemed like you were comparing our offense to theirs , but in reality Dallas averages 60 more ypg and Carolina averages 90 more ypg , so even though they don't have elite offenses, they are still much better than the current Bills O. That's basically all I was saying.

That is likely to change next year though,as we could spend the majority of our money on O and add the finishing touches to an already Great defense.

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It seems to me that they are rebiulding the team in increments....this year....the defense (and drafting the franchise QB)

I am hoping that next year is the year that the offensive moves everyone wants are made

Yeah I agree and I think those moves are definitely made. There's just not much glaring needs that needs to be added to the defense, so they can heavily focus on the offensive side. 

Beane has a ton of flexibility this off-season, when you really look at the situation, we're sitting pretty nice , you look at the Jests, the only team that'll have more cap space, has plenty of holes and nowhere near the flexibility as Buff. Beane   Can go bpa in the draft as well..

Edited by JerseyBills

17 hours ago, SoTier said:

Most irrelevant response of the year is above.

The reality is that stats are meaningless unless they translate into wins.  Wins and losses are the only stats that count at the end of the day.  Deal with it.   The Tampa Bay Bucs had 500+ yards of offense on Sunday and STILL lost 16-3 to the Washington Redskins.

People here are grasping for straws.. Don’t burst  their bubbles

Edited by CaptnCoke11

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Wow. I totally blew that one.  

Dohhhhh

It's still clear Star has an impact. Maybe the better way to look at is the change in ypa from last year?

Bills have gone from 4.3 to 4.0

Panthers from 4.0 to 4.4

His impact is about 1/3 of yard in both cases.

19 hours ago, SoTier said:

Exactly. The Bills are #1 in total defense but they're 3-7 and stinking for a top 5 draft pick, not being even as competitive as other bottom feeders like Cleveland, San Fran or Arizona.  The Panthers are #15 in total defense but they're 6-3 and would be a WC team if the playoffs began next week.    Which would you prefer?  Wins or stats?

FTR, the 9-1 KC Chiefs are #29 in total defense, the 9-1 New Orleans Saints are #23, and the 9-1 Los Angeles Rams are #13.

Except we have more wins than San Fran and Arizona.

It is no secret the Bills offense stinks. They have built defense first. Now you can disagree with that as a strategy in the modern NFL, I am even inclined to agree with that.... but the progress they have made defensively under McDermott from the mess he inherited is significant. They have to get better on offense. That much is obvious. This offseason is absolutely critical to the immediate future of the franchise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm guessing that this has already been brought up, but per Football Outsiders, Carolina is the #14 rush defense in the league versus Buffalo being #12. Buffalo has improved pretty dramatically from a year ago, but Carolina hasn't fallen off much at all. And both of their DTs are rated much higher by PFF than Star. It's really the pass defense where Carolina has struggled this year, which as we know, Star has almost zero impact on.

• Like (+1) 1