Star is starting to show he was worth the $. Panthers really missing him.

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They are 6-3, we are 3-7.  

We can all look at the standings and pull that gem of wisdom out.  The post was about the quality of improvement in the Bills run defense and how Star has aided in that development.  His counterpoint about the dip in the Carolina run D was to make a comparison and to support the contention that Beane made an excellent signing.

i assume that your idiotic post was your pathetic attempt at sarcasm and if so, that's pretty sad.

Now let's see if you have the football knowledge or the intellectual accumin to respond to me.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But it’s also about modern football.  Star is really good at his role.  But the truth is paying big money to one dimensional DT in a passing league isn’t the best use of team resources and doesn’t have a major impact on your team.  

We are in decent cap shape but if Allen, Dawkins, a receiver ever get their second contracts, you would never pay a DT what Star is making.  

He hasn’t been healthy in 3 years.  Not likely to get better with age.

C.Bisc, I kind of get what you're saying about modern football and kind of don't.  

While it's a passing league, you still need a run D.  You won't stop many drives without a run D.

And despite our offense continually giving the ball back to our opponents (turnovers, 3-and-outs), we're leading the league in 2018 in defense.  In other words, the Bills are fielding a modern defensive unit.  We're not giving up a lot of passing yards.  We're not giving up a lot of rushing yards.  Overall, we're only allowing 4.9 yards per play which is very good. 

And Star is playing an effective role in that defense.  If a lesser man was in Star's place, our D wouldn't be as good.  The 11 guys out there have to fit together in a complimentary way.  Right now they do.  I wouldn't chose to mess with that unless we can upgrade somewhere.  

And his cost is bearable given that we have $90 mil available next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JerseyBills said:

This was our biggest signing in FA last year and largely deemed a bad , overpaid signing by national and some local media. While his numbers might look that way to the average fan , he has made a huge impact in what was a pretty putrid run D last year. 

While Buf sits in the middle of the pack in total rush yards allowed, they are 3rd in the league in ypc given up ,at 3.8 per carry. He has mainly done what he's supposed to do , eat space and free up his teammates and young up n coming LB to make the play. He's not flashy but he was a necessity for this scheme to be effective in the run game.

On the flip side , it looks like he's being sorely missed in Car. Even with alot of big names and pro bowlers in that front 7 , they currently have given up the 4th most rushing yards in the league and are tied for 2nd most at giving up 5.1 ypc! They are also tied for 3rd worse giving up 12 rushing TD , compared to 7 by Buffalo. 

Just wanted to show some love to Star and Beane . In his first full off-season as GM , the cash strapped Beane made Star his highest paid FA and while not a sexy pickup by any means, he is a big reason we are currently the #1 ranked defense and a muchhhhh improved rush defense. We all know the secondary is young and will have years to grow together but the front 7 quietly is flexing its guns. 

Minus Kyle and Lorax , this is a group that will be together for a few years themselves and Murphy (if able to stay healthy) and Star were great additions. Milano is on the verge of being a superstar. Edmunds has made rookie mistakes but the D just plays better with him. Shaq seems to have finally turned the lights on and is extremely versatile.  Both Phillips look to be great additions and Hughes is just a beast. Probably the most underrated DE in the league. With only 5.5 sacks, he's 3rd in the league in QB pressures , and has mastered the art of stripping the ball. Just wanted to give the front 7 much deserved props. 

Just imagine this defense with an offense that isn't consistently putting them in bad field position , consistently going 3& out and actually giving them a lead to play with. They can be an elite , championship defense for a few years. Mr. Beane will have plenty of opportunity to make that a reality this upcoming off-season .

Great post!! The Defense has really come together. We will lose a key piece at the end of this year when Kyle retires but I think with all the other pieces in place, they will be okay. I could not imagine what this team would be like if we had decent receivers and Allen never got hurt.  KB and Peterman are a joke. Glad to see Peterman got cut yesterday. The offensive line seems to be really start to come together and jell as well. Milano definitely seems to be becoming a stud and Edmunds is already a stud. He is amazing at working laterally on the LOS and shooting into gaps and closing distances with RB's. 

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are correct. As the OP states he was giving the DL and Star some "love" for an otherwise sorry season with how the offense has been performing. With all the cap space next year, I can see Beane adding a stud WR or two and a few top tiered O-Linemen to give Allen some trustworthy targets. As i states above, KB is a joke, but I will say that Zay Jones seems to have really made the adjustment into the NFL game after the poor showing last year and has got the lights on now as well. Robert Foster seems to be a gamer for sure after the showing he gave last week but I will hold off judgment for sure since we were playing the Jets last week. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Where the heck did "Murphy is a great addition" come from?

When he plays he’s pretty good for 7ish mil per. 

5 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Jags are middle of the pack on run D. I'd rather pay Star's salary. 

Hes earned his keep. Stood out in jets game a number of times. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Exactly. The Bills are #1 in total defense but they're 3-7 and stinking for a top 5 draft pick, not being even as competitive as other bottom feeders like Cleveland, San Fran or Arizona.  The Panthers are #15 in total defense but they're 6-3 and would be a WC team if the playoffs began next week.    Which would you prefer?  Wins or stats?

FTR, the 9-1 KC Chiefs are #29 in total defense, the 9-1 New Orleans Saints are #23, and the 9-1 Los Angeles Rams are #13.

Edited by SoTier
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Laziest response of the year goes to....

Most irrelevant response of the year is above.

The reality is that stats are meaningless unless they translate into wins.  Wins and losses are the only stats that count at the end of the day.  Deal with it.   The Tampa Bay Bucs had 500+ yards of offense on Sunday and STILL lost 16-3 to the Washington Redskins.

58 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

We can all look at the standings and pull that gem of wisdom out.  The post was about the quality of improvement in the Bills run defense and how Star has aided in that development.  His counterpoint about the dip in the Carolina run D was to make a comparison and to support the contention that Beane made an excellent signing.

i assume that your idiotic post was your pathetic attempt at sarcasm and if so, that's pretty sad.

Now let's see if you have the football knowledge or the intellectual accumin to respond to me.

Wow, ❄️ is sensitive.  Stop being a baby and name calling.

the point was that Star isn’t impacting either team’s big picture significantly.  The Panthers were 6-2 and got killed on a short week road game.  The problem with a guy like Star is you can gsmeplan him if the field.  The Pats played the Vikes, who had the #1 run defense.  Rather than run against it, they came out in multiple receiver sets and just threw all the time and blew out the Vikes.  

Additionally, we have been killed in a bunch of games, especially in the 1st half.  The Bears game was over at halftime and they just went super conservative and ran very predictable run plays to milk the clock.  

Finally, Star plays less than half of the snaps.  This is like when people got hyped when we signed Brandon Spikes.  But he saw his snap counts go down every year because the league is changing.  Star is good at his job.  But paying $10 million for a guy who plays half of the snaps seems like a bad investment. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

the point was that Star isn’t impacting either team’s big picture significantly.  The Panthers were 6-2 and got killed on a short week road game.  The problem with a guy like Star is you can gsmeplan him if the field.  The Pats played the Vikes, who had the #1 run defense.  Rather than run against it, they came out in multiple receiver sets and just threw all the time and blew out the Vikes.  

Additionally, we have been killed in a bunch of games, especially in the 1st half.  The Bears game was over at halftime and they just went super conservative and ran very predictable run plays to milk the clock.  

Finally, Star plays less than half of the snaps.  This is like when people got hyped when we signed Brandon Spikes.  But he saw his snap counts go down every year because the league is changing.  Star is good at his job.  But paying $10 million for a guy who plays half of the snaps seems like a bad investment. 

Even with Star in at 10 million next year we still have 90 million in cap space along with 10 more draft picks.

Defensive linemen play in a rotation and I do marginally see your point in spending high dollars on a player that is part of a 4 player rotation.

But, it's also important to grow a culture on defense of being big and physical and that's something the Bills were lacking last year after Dareus was given away to Jacksonville.  Star was brought in to do the same job at 6 million less per year, and I'm ok with that.

I'm not sensitive, I'm a sports fan, a Bills fan and use this site to add viable commentary and not respond to some snarky post comparing records.

Honestly, I can't stand people who don't put effort into everything they do, and your post I guess just bugged me because you took a posters well thought out post, then disrespected it.

So I in turn not only stood up for the original poster, but also gave you a kick in the groin to get your head straight

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The Pats played the Vikes, who had the #1 run defense.  Rather than run against it, they came out in multiple receiver sets and just threw all the time and blew out the Vikes.  

So you're saying the Vikings forced the Patriots into a 1 dimensional offense, and because they couldn't stop the pass that means stopping the run was a waste? We did the same thing and held their offense to 16 points through 3 quarters. An average offense would have beat the Patriots on MNF. In part because our run defense was stout.

16 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

At the beginning of the year, folks were lamenting that Star was a bad signing. He's clearly not that, though I think one can plausibly argue he is overpaid for what he offers. When you say look at the records, I believe that is missing the larger point, though it has some obvious initial power. Everyone knows the team is 3 - 7. Yet the past week suggests (albeit against a weak and demoralized opponent) that a merely competent offense combined with a superior defense is a likely playoff team. Star is contributing to a superior defense. The narrative that Beane is terrible at free agency is mitigated when a player turns out to be useful.

Edited by Dr. Who

18 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Most irrelevant response of the year is above.

The reality is that stats are meaningless unless they translate into wins.  Wins and losses are the only stats that count at the end of the day.  Deal with it.   The Tampa Bay Bucs had 500+ yards of offense on Sunday and STILL lost 16-3 to the Washington Redskins.

lol!

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

This was our biggest signing in FA last year and largely deemed a bad , overpaid signing by national and some local media. While his numbers might look that way to the average fan , he has made a huge impact in what was a pretty putrid run D last year. 

While Buf sits in the middle of the pack in total rush yards allowed, they are 3rd in the league in ypc given up ,at 3.8 per carry. He has mainly done what he's supposed to do , eat space and free up his teammates and young up n coming LB to make the play. He's not flashy but he was a necessity for this scheme to be effective in the run game.

On the flip side , it looks like he's being sorely missed in Car. Even with alot of big names and pro bowlers in that front 7 , they currently have given up the 4th most rushing yards in the league and are tied for 2nd most at giving up 5.1 ypc! They are also tied for 3rd worse giving up 12 rushing TD , compared to 7 by Buffalo. 

Just wanted to show some love to Star and Beane . In his first full off-season as GM , the cash strapped Beane made Star his highest paid FA and while not a sexy pickup by any means, he is a big reason we are currently the #1 ranked defense and a muchhhhh improved rush defense. We all know the secondary is young and will have years to grow together but the front 7 quietly is flexing its guns. 

Minus Kyle and Lorax , this is a group that will be together for a few years themselves and Murphy (if able to stay healthy) and Star were great additions. Milano is on the verge of being a superstar. Edmunds has made rookie mistakes but the D just plays better with him. Shaq seems to have finally turned the lights on and is extremely versatile.  Both Phillips look to be great additions and Hughes is just a beast. Probably the most underrated DE in the league. With only 5.5 sacks, he's 3rd in the league in QB pressures , and has mastered the art of stripping the ball. Just wanted to give the front 7 much deserved props. 

Just imagine this defense with an offense that isn't consistently putting them in bad field position , consistently going 3& out and actually giving them a lead to play with. They can be an elite , championship defense for a few years. Mr. Beane will have plenty of opportunity to make that a reality this upcoming off-season .

Not sure where you got your stats, but according to espn, Bills have gone from 25th last year to 8th this year in rushing ypa; whereas Carolina has fallen from 11th last year to 16th currently this year. 

Certainly a big move for the Bills, but not as dramatic for the Panthers. 

2 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

Their offense is better. We're comparing our defenses, not quarterbacks or offenses. C'mon man.

Well, when we cut a guy creating large dead money - and replace him with a high priced guy that’s debatably better.... we’ve created a situation where there’s not as much money to spend on offense. 

Would you rather dareus and a high end offensive lineman or wr,  OR just star?

2 hours ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

This Jordan Phillips character has been a really nice addition as well. Murphy has been pretty good when healthy. As to the OP’s point... we heard a lot in the offseason about how Star wouldn’t be a huge presence on the stat sheet, but would make everyone better around him. That’s pretty much what we’ve seen. Star has been very effective in his role.

This... I really think the Jordan Phillips pick up was huge

12 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Well, when we cut a guy creating large dead money - and replace him with a high priced guy that’s debatably better.... we’ve created a situation where there’s not as much money to spend on offense. 

Would you rather dareus and a high end offensive lineman or wr,  OR just star?

Dareus gave up though. All the talent in the world but he quit on us. He is the Kelvin Benjamin of DTs. My MD jersey went in the trash. No joke.