7 reasons why Josh Allen could finish his rookie season on a high note

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, The Process said:

9-7...playoffs

i know i said this in another thread but,  think about it.....the pats are beatable. if they lose to minn, / pitt /  at miami or in any way lose 3, it could come down to us beating them at ne

for the division?   yum   9-7 may not get us a wc but it could get us the division no?  not to mention they are the only team with a winning record right now, that we face going forward.

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I'm hoping that means he learned something from Belichek and puts an original game plan in place each week which is tailored to the defense he's facing.  Whether or not we have the personnel to execute is another matter.

i believe this is what's happening.  we've needed for so long a coordinator that game plans by week/opponent.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Why are the odds of a breakout in his favor?

Has he improved on the slowest release in the NFL? Have his inaccuracies been fixed?

Barkley, of all people, played far better than anything Allen has showed, so far. 

He has an easier schedule now than it was when he started

We'll find that out when he's back on the field

Yes, Barkley looked real goo but he's not the future for the bills. His performance gave Allen a lot to learn from. Let's just hope he did learn.

4 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Playoffs.  Technically we are still alive.  9-7 could get a team in.

It'll be interesting when people start running playoff scenarios, if the Bills can go on a run.

Even with a win streak, I'd say their odds are super slim because of the losses to AFC opponents. It'd be very tough to win a tie-breaker.

Edited by LeGOATski

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

100% no doubt about it. if at any time things start heading south, by all means go to josh....but if barkley can get us a win against the jags (and i think he's the best chance), then take it from there. ya gotta think about the rest of the team and the object is to win.  this jags defense is going to be mean.  barkley might back them off a bit vs. them teeing off on our rookie.  just start getting wins one at a time.

I also look at it this way, Barkley is a good model for Josh.  He showed poise in the pocket.  He didn't second-guess his throws.  He used the pocket.  Allen needs to see and learn these things.  The offense works wonderfully when the QB plays within these dynamics.  I don't want Allen to go back out there second-guessing throws, being late, running around playing backyard football hoping something sticks.  He has to get rid of that.  The argument can be made that he has to play out of it, I agree, but also, I'd rather see that happen when we are completely out of playoff contention.

It's so Billsy that they would finally find a QB who can competently run the offense and then immediately bench him.

Whatever happened to playing the guy who gives you the best chance to win?

That's not Josh Allen at this time, unless something's drastically changed behind the scenes.

They're operating under the philosophy that this is Josh Allen's team for better or worse. I understand that to some degree, but I believe this could be managed in a way that they wouldn't damage Allen's ego by starting Barkley again.

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's so Billsy that they would finally find a QB who can competently run the offense and then immediately bench him.

Whatever happened to playing the guy who gives you the best chance to win?

That's not Josh Allen at this time, unless something's drastically changed behind the scenes.

They're operating under the philosophy that this is Josh Allen's team for better or worse. I understand that to some degree, but I believe this could be managed in a way that they wouldn't damage Allen's ego by starting Barkley again.

Zero reason to play Barkley if Allen is healthy.

They invested a 1st and 2nds into Allen. You play your large investment

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

i know i said this in another thread but,  think about it.....the pats are beatable. if they lose to minn, / pitt /  at miami or in any way lose 3, it could come down to us beating them at ne

for the division?   yum   9-7 may not get us a wc but it could get us the division no?  not to mention they are the only team with a winning record right now, that we face going forward.

i believe this is what's happening.  we've needed for so long a coordinator that game plans by week/opponent.

Before the Jets game, this team was on pace to be one of the worst offenses in the history of the National Football League.

Before this season, Daboll was a failed OC in not one, not two, but three stints.

Let's maybe not overreact to one game against a bad team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

Barkley also showed there is enough talent on the offense that its capable of putting up points and moving the ball. I expect Allen should be able to put up at least 150 yards passing and throw for a TD minimum. 

In my opinion, this is not what it showed. He threw what should have been two picks and we were playing a team that has checked out on their HC. If those were picked, it was a poor showing. As it is, the numbers were pedestrian in today’s NFL. 

I do agree with what was mentioned earlier  about Daboll, though. The jury is still out on him as in all his pro gigs, he was working with bottom of the barrel talent. At UA, he ran a great O. I would hope they give him next year. 

4 hours ago, Kemp said:

Why are the odds of a breakout in his favor?

Has he improved on the slowest release in the NFL? Have his inaccuracies been fixed?

Barkley, of all people, played far better than anything Allen has showed, so far. 

The odds of a breakout are in Allen's favor because the article writer and many Bills fans inhabit an alternative universe where the Bills ALWAYS win.

His decision-making, reading the field and defense, making adjustments, and getting rid of the ball quickly will matter more than this list. He's bad at reading the opposing D and that's a huge challenge. He's indecisive with where he wants to go with the ball. This isn't about the rest of the team, it's Allen, plain and simple. This is a league where the best QBs, in all honesty, do tons of damage knowing right away, before the snap, where they want to go with the ball and rip it. Not being able to do that or waiting for a guy to be wide open is a major flaw. Not sure he can learn much in 4 weeks but we'll see.

22 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It'll be interesting when people start running playoff scenarios, if the Bills can go on a run.

Even with a win streak, I'd say their odds are super slim because of the losses to AFC opponents. It'd be very tough to win a tie-breaker.

well give the chargers one spot and hope the other tie would be the titans....then maybe...hoping to see ne lose 3 more before we play them again.

teams come out of nowhere and hand them a loss here and there and i think there's now somewhat of a print for teams to follow.

they could lose to minny / pitt and miami plays them tough down there.  we could be playing for the division.  wouldn't that be a story....

On 11/13/2018 at 8:12 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

With all due respect,I don’t really agree with this.  I think guys over complicate things.  As a result, players are thinking more than playing.  

Ive never questioned Daboll knowledge of football. I just don’t think he has ever demonstrated ever really being anything than a bad OC.  Some of the best offenses are pretty simple and generate a ton of big plays off very similar play designs.  Some coaches try to make football rocket scientist.  Find mismatches and exploit.

If what you say is true, I am surprised that he has not learned anything from Belichek.  Belichek's offense are pretty simple...quick throw, catch and run.  

On 11/13/2018 at 8:23 PM, NewEraBills said:

I honestly think I'd keep rolling with Barkley.  Let Allen learn more until we are completely out of it.

I agree.  Otherwise, the Bills would do a dis-service to the rest of the team while still not eliminated officially from the playoffs (Because we don't know if Allen can play better than what Barkley showed on Sunday, at this juncture)

On 11/13/2018 at 7:25 AM, BigBuff423 said:

I believe I understand your point, and essentially we agree as I went on to say I don't think it's intended to be that complex but is essentially borne out of necessity due to the lack of talent. In other words, it's a lot of smoke and mirrors simply because half of the Offense isn't where they need to be as far as talent and abilities are concerned. I also went on to say that I think 2019 will be quite different in terms of that complexity and how Daboll schemes the Offense. So, essentially we agree on the larger philosophy just maybe disagree with Daboll's decision to use complexity to present an illusion to get around the lack of talent on Offense.

All of that said, I was reading about one of the former Patriot players who are now in the media i.e. Bruschi or McGinest  etc., talk about how Belichick would install all new plays and designs every year. He went on to say / write (honestly I can't remember if I read it or heard it, man I'm getting old) that this is a reason why the Pats have a tendency to come out slow each year because they're still perfecting and working through the new wrinkles every year. He said it's how they stay fresh and that the Pats get better as the season goes for this same reason. I offer that just as food for thought about being over complex and multiple changes. 

I hope that is certainly the case for what we have seen pre-Jets, but even with a roster devoid of talent, OC's more than often scheme to simplify the playbook to maximize what skill is present. We also can't think of "complexity" in terms of quantity of lineups - you can achieve complexity in an offense while running very few lineups (i.e. Rams and Chiefs, looking at the chart from the article this seems to hold true). It's an analogous example, but one of the biggest criticisms of Rex's defensive scheme was that it was too complex for the defense and personnel we had, and once he began to simplify his scheme we saw players making plays. While I'm glad to see Daboll isn't lacking offensive knowledge, it's easy to argue that over-complicating an offense to curtail it's mostly young roster with little to no talent is not an effective strategy given the first 9 games of the season.

I'm all for changing up the book year to year given the right team, and of course adjustments take time. But the Pats also had a set franchise HOF QB that could handle the constantly changing scheme each year, and lead his players through the offseason changes and over the early season hump. All with the support and guidance of a HOF coach. We had a QB controversy and ultimately a rookie project not intended to start this year, with an offense that never really got to learn the book as a result, and all with an OC in his first year with the team. I think the section of the article referencing Daboll even pointed more to the fact that he should be looking to dial in his offense and start picking which packages/formations/lineups work and fit the talent level of the roster. That being said, I'm of the opinion that you first need to establish continuity and chemistry within a roster before increasing the levels of complexity in the schemes for either offense or defense, and that complexity is not effective as a workaround for a hapless offensive roster - many of whom are young rookies and some undrafted at that. 

In reference to the article - I'm not sure I exactly agree with the premise. While the topic at hand was to provide seven reasons why Allen could have a great end to the season, the author's argument, as I've understood it, is that because the environment around Allen has gotten progressively "better" since his injury, he could in turn progress equally so. To me that seems circumstantial correlation at best, and while having a better cast around him can certainly help Allen, there's no tangible argument to determine causality. Might be an unpopular analogy, but it's like saying that Trump might become an actual President given the appropriate advisors around him. While we showed flashes of competency for one week against a division rival with the same record, I've yet to see true progression in an offense where half/most of the roster will not still be on the team in the next year or two.

Edited by ctk232