7 reasons why Josh Allen could finish his rookie season on a high note

YoloinOhio

I think this paragraph provides a little insight as to why Daboll has earned the respect of his players and the coaches around him and why it is just too early to complain about him as an OC and play-caller:

"Entering the Jets’ game, Buffalo used the highest amount of unique offensive lineups in the NFL and the second-fewest percentage of plays ran featuring its most common lineup. What does that mean? No team in the NFL has ran more plays with different personnel packages than what the Bills have and there are very little tendencies to gather given the variety of plays ran from different groupings."

Now, I'm not always a fan of complexity and I certainly think it can be as much a detriment to the team as it is a benefit. But, this should slow the narrative that Daboll is just an incompetent designer of plays or calls a rudimentary game. However, IMHO, much of this complexity of looks IS due to the lack of play-makers they've had on the team and the difficulties on Offensive line. If / when the Bills address WR / TE / C / RT via FA and Draft next year, I could see some of the playbook being pared down a bit to make it easier on Allen with the presumption the play-makers have the ability to execute the plays without so much trickery or visual manipulation. Time will tell. But I've been a Daboll supporter and this insight gives me reason to continue in that same vein of thought. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I think this paragraph provides a little insight as to why Daboll has earned the respect of his players and the coaches around him and why it is just too early to complain about him as an OC and play-caller:

"Entering the Jets’ game, Buffalo used the highest amount of unique offensive lineups in the NFL and the second-fewest percentage of plays ran featuring its most common lineup. What does that mean? No team in the NFL has ran more plays with different personnel packages than what the Bills have and there are very little tendencies to gather given the variety of plays ran from different groupings."

Now, I'm not always a fan of complexity and I certainly think it can be as much a detriment to the team as it is a benefit. But, this should slow the narrative that Daboll is just a incompetent designer of plays or calls a rudimentary game. However, IMHO, much of this complexity of looks IS due to the lack of play-makers they've had on the team and the difficulties on Offensive line. If / when the Bills address WR / TE / C / RT via FA and Draft next year, I could see some of the playbook being pared down a bit to make it easier on Allen with the presumption the play-makers have the ability to execute the plays without so much trickery or visual manipulation. Time will tell. But I've been a Daboll supporter and this insight gives me reason to continue in that same vein of thought. 

With all due respect,I don’t really agree with this.  I think guys over complicate things.  As a result, players are thinking more than playing.  

Ive never questioned Daboll knowledge of football. I just don’t think he has ever demonstrated ever really being anything than a bad OC.  Some of the best offenses are pretty simple and generate a ton of big plays off very similar play designs.  Some coaches try to make football rocket scientist.  Find mismatches and exploit.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

Now, I'm not always a fan of complexity and I certainly think it can be as much a detriment to the team as it is a benefit. But, this should slow the narrative that Daboll is just a incompetent designer of plays or calls a rudimentary game. However, IMHO, much of this complexity of looks IS due to the lack of play-makers they've had on the team and the difficulties on Offensive line. If / when the Bills address WR / TE / C / RT via FA and Draft next year, I could see some of the playbook being pared down a bit to make it easier on Allen with the presumption the play-makers have the ability to execute the plays without so much trickery or visual manipulation. Time will tell. But I've been a Daboll supporter and this insight gives me reason to continue in that same vein of thought. 

Wow. That is very interesting if nothing else . I think we got a glimpse vs the Jets  of what Daboll would like to accomplish on a weekly basis and I believe a big reason was adding speed in Foster and McKenzie.  We have 6 more games to see if they can be consistent and apart of the Os future. Zay has looked much improved all year and showed he can be counted on when getting targets. And what do you know , Shady looked like it was 2011 with a competent pass game in front of him. I loved the play calling this week and again, I think we were just sorely lacking speed out there , which really limited what we could do on offense.

• Like (+1) 1

If he does start vs the Jags they better treat Ramsey the way they treated Adams last week.  Don't put the ball anywhere near him.  Keep using Benji as a decoy and go to Zay and Foster.    Feed McCoy and get the ball out quick.  But Allen has to get more accurate on the deep ball.  That opening play to Foster took the Jets by surprise and we had them off balance pretty much all game long after that.   We have to do something like that again early vs the Jags. 

27 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

With all due respect,I don’t really agree with this.  I think guys over complicate things.  As a result, players are thinking more than playing.  

Ive never questioned Daboll knowledge of football. I just don’t think he has ever demonstrated ever really being anything than a bad OC.  Some of the best offenses are pretty simple and generate a ton of big plays off very similar play designs.  Some coaches try to make football rocket scientist.  Find mismatches and exploit.

I believe I understand your point, and essentially we agree as I went on to say I don't think it's intended to be that complex but is essentially borne out of necessity due to the lack of talent. In other words, it's a lot of smoke and mirrors simply because half of the Offense isn't where they need to be as far as talent and abilities are concerned. I also went on to say that I think 2019 will be quite different in terms of that complexity and how Daboll schemes the Offense. So, essentially we agree on the larger philosophy just maybe disagree with Daboll's decision to use complexity to present an illusion to get around the lack of talent on Offense.

All of that said, I was reading about one of the former Patriot players who are now in the media i.e. Bruschi or McGinest  etc., talk about how Belichick would install all new plays and designs every year. He went on to say / write (honestly I can't remember if I read it or heard it, man I'm getting old) that this is a reason why the Pats have a tendency to come out slow each year because they're still perfecting and working through the new wrinkles every year. He said it's how they stay fresh and that the Pats get better as the season goes for this same reason. I offer that just as food for thought about being over complex and multiple changes. 

1 hour ago, BmarvB said:

Well, the table is set for him with the remaining schedule. The odds of a breakout are in his favor. It's up to him to make it happen.

Why are the odds of a breakout in his favor?

Has he improved on the slowest release in the NFL? Have his inaccuracies been fixed?

Barkley, of all people, played far better than anything Allen has showed, so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Like A Mofo said:

It's time to go back to Allen. Barkley has proven worthy to be signed through 2019 to give some stability to the #2 slot.

Schedule sets up nicely for Josh, and with possible inclement weather on the horizon, we need to see how Josh handles the elements.

He couldn't handle 60 and sunny.

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

I honestly think I'd keep rolling with Barkley.  Let Allen learn more until we are completely out of it.

Ahhhh, we are not mathematically out, I guess, but maybe....anyhow, realistically we are completely out of it.....smell the coffee!!

2 hours ago, NewEraBills said:

I honestly think I'd keep rolling with Barkley.  Let Allen learn more until we are completely out of it.

100% no doubt about it. if at any time things start heading south, by all means go to josh....but if barkley can get us a win against the jags (and i think he's the best chance), then take it from there. ya gotta think about the rest of the team and the object is to win.  this jags defense is going to be mean.  barkley might back them off a bit vs. them teeing off on our rookie.  just start getting wins one at a time.

2 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Now, I'm not always a fan of complexity and I certainly think it can be as much a detriment to the team as it is a benefit. But, this should slow the narrative that Daboll is just an incompetent designer of plays or calls a rudimentary game. However, IMHO, much of this complexity of looks IS due to the lack of play-makers they've had on the team and the difficulties on Offensive line. If / when the Bills address WR / TE / C / RT via FA and Draft next year, I could see some of the playbook being pared down a bit to make it easier on Allen with the presumption the play-makers have the ability to execute the plays without so much trickery or visual manipulation. Time will tell. But I've been a Daboll supporter and this insight gives me reason to continue in that same vein of thought. 

I'm hoping that means he learned something from Belichek and puts an original game plan in place each week which is tailored to the defense he's facing.  Whether or not we have the personnel to execute is another matter.

• Like (+1) 2