I have a mouse

Kirby Jackson

On 11/12/2018 at 9:54 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate rodents. I’ve set traps everywhere. Anyone have any recommendations on the best kind of traps or what I should do?

I have a damn mouse in my basement. Never had a rodent in my house before. 

Found out when I went to grab a loaf of bread from the basement and noticed that about 1/3 of the loaf had been eaten (on a side note, the rest of the loaf tasted good! j/k (... puke. )), then found tiny dropping that look like some small rodent that I ammunition is a mouse. He/she/it tore into a bag of organic fertilizer I had down there, too. 

I always avoid killing things (don’t even kill bugs. I catch and release...lol) but I don’t reqlly know how else to deal with a rodent. If I catch it, where do I release it? 

So I am going to buy some of those spring loaded traps. I have been told that they are the most humane way of killing it.

A friend told me to put some bacon grease on the little food pad. Said they can’t resist it. So I’m going to give it a try. Some with peanut butter and some with bacon grease. 

I'd call my brother screaming and babbling incoherently.  He's an exterminator and the conversation has gone like this, "GET OVER HERE NOW!!! I SAW A MOUSE." When he finds out it is outside, he does not rush over. ?

We have bait boxes outside (deer mice), and in the garage. Down the basement, we once had a vole (talk about creepy!) so he laid down boxes + sticky pads. Fortunately, that vole was the solitary type and didn't invite his friends in. 

As far as you having only one mouse, no you don't... you have a bunch of mice. You just don't know it. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I have a damn mouse in my basement. Never had a rodent in my house before. 

Found out when I went to grab a loaf of bread from the basement and noticed that about 1/3 of the loaf had been eaten (on a side note, the rest of the loaf tasted good! j/k (... puke. )), then found tiny dropping that look like some small rodent that I ammunition is a mouse. He/she/it tore into a bag of organic fertilizer I had down there, too. 

I always avoid killing things (don’t even kill bugs. I catch and release...lol) but I don’t reqlly know how else to deal with a rodent. If I catch it, where do I release it?

So I am going to buy some of those spring loaded traps. I have been told that they are the most humane way of killing it.

A friend told me to put some bacon grease on the little food pad. Said they can’t resist it. So I’m going to give it a try. Some with peanut butter and some with bacon grease. 

In your mother-in-law’s house, obviously.

You’re welcome. :flirt:

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I definitely put more than a pea sized lump of peanut butter. 

I don’t always put them against a wall. 

I guess I’ve learned something today. 

The good news is that I caught a tiny one last night.  I doubt that it was alone. More traps tonight. 

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

I definitely put more than a pea sized lump of peanut butter. 

I don’t always put them against a wall. 

I guess I’ve learned something today. 

The good news is that I caught a tiny one last night.  I doubt that it was alone. More traps tonight. 

One tip:  Go big first night!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I've had 2 mice episodes. 

The 1st one was when I came home one day & noticed my oatmeal packets had been emptied out.  I put glue traps in the kitchen cabinet along with plastic snap traps with peanut butter on them.  I ended up executing 6 mice total.  The 1st one appeared a little after I set the traps.  I opened up the cabinet and the mouse was staring at me eye to eye.  I panicked, got some oven mitts on and then made a glue trap sandwich of it, suffocating the mouse.  Some of the others died in the snap traps, some got stuck in the glue after the 1st one and I ended up killing them by using the  snap tracks to strangle them.  I always killed them with oven mitts on so they couldn't scratch or bite me.  The strangest one was one night I heard a banging noise coming from the kitchen. When I opened the cabinet I saw a mouse stuck in a glue trap with a snap trap on its ear.  It kept moving its head trying to shake off the snap trap and was banging either from that or hitting the trap with other traps.  I ended up putting on the mitts, taking the trap off its ear & strangling it with the trap.  

The 2nd incident was hands off.  I set a bunch of glue traps in a circle in my attic with peanut butter in the middle on another glue trap.  I also put the poison food up there & didn't return for a couple of months.  I ended up finding 2 in the glue traps, long dead (neither smelled).  Both had dragged the traps about 2-3 feet. One of them had its front legs on 1 trap & its back legs on another.  It must have really struggled trying to get out of the traps.  I don't know if any ate the poison food, left & died elsewhere,

I hope this post doesn't get the local PETA groups outside my house protesting. 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

ok you really want to catch this mouse?   

I love the "You can either leave the bucket empty,  or put water in it... to drown them.

At least with my gun idea they dont suffer.

Edited by Boca BIlls

21 hours ago, Wnybricky said:

We had a full blown rat in our kitchen drawer . Not fun. My wife said we had a rat . I thought she was being over dramatic. She wasn’t . I had to go get bigger traps . The peanut butter and a snap trap works fine. 

We had a chipmunk in our basement last summer. The cat chased it but couldn't catch it. A couple weeks later, I was checking the sump pump after a heavy rainfall, and I found a dead, bloated chipmunk in the sump hole.

• Like (+1) 1

There is a farm field behind our back yard and we get mice in the basement every fall. I got tired of setting the spring traps, so bought an electrocution box at Home Depot. Put a little bird seed in it, and it shocks the mouse to death. Clean and efficient, I just dump it out in the back, and something comes and takes them away at night.  So far I’ve shocked 8 mice this month.