I have a mouse

Kirby Jackson

I was at the store today and they had those TomCat traps, so I picked up a 2 pack. 

When I got home I put a little peanut butter on them and set them in the 2 places where I had noticed the mouse has chewed into something - near the bag of fertilizer on the floor, and up on the shelf where I kept the bread. 

Less than an hour later I decided that maybe I should move the one up on the shelf to down on the floor, and there was the little mouse dead inside the trap. Talk about fast! 

I know it had to be done but I still feel a little bad about killing it. lol 

Too bad I still don’t have my pet python. Would have at least served a purpose by feeding him. I think I may throw it out behind my garage and let one of the stray cats in the area at least get a meal out of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2018 at 9:54 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate rodents. I’ve set traps everywhere. Anyone have any recommendations on the best kind of traps or what I should do?

traps dont work. Had to use rat poison. Had to buy it online, for some reason couldn't get it in the stores.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:58 PM, snafu said:

I had two in my basement last year around this time.  The cat cornered both of them long enough for me to come by with a length of 1x2. A quick pop in the head ended things fast. Those little guys can't take much of a knock. I didn't have any snap traps around. They work great.  I won't use poison because my cat gets everywhere and the mice just die in the walls and stink for a few days. 

never have had them stink

On 11/13/2018 at 5:10 AM, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Burn your house down and start anew.

This!

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Some time between going to work at about 8:00 AM and coming home at 12:30 I got the mouse!! Finally!!! It was in one of those plastic snap traps with the jaws.

Pics plz. Poor Jerry.

Edited by YoloinOhio

On 11/16/2018 at 4:43 AM, Max Fischer said:

Find out where they come in and fix that first.  Otherwise, you'll never solve the problem. 

No doubt.  I had to move my stove to find out they were coming in through a hole in the wall where the electrical cord went.  Stuffed it full of steel wool, which is one of the few things the little buggers won't chew through, and haven't seen one in years now.  Hantavirus is nothing to mess around with.  

On 11/16/2018 at 6:43 AM, Max Fischer said:

Find out where they come in and fix that first.  Otherwise, you'll never solve the problem. 

If you live in an area with field mice trying to seal up your house will drive you crazy because there's almost no way to do it. Those critters can squeeze through a hole smaller than a dime and can chew through just about anything, including metal. The sooner you realize it's almost impossible to "mouse-proof" your house and focus on just catching/killing what gets in the better off you'll be. My wife freaks out over mice and always wants to make sure none get into the house - I told her that was impossible but I would do what I could to take care of any that get in - 2 cats and lots of spring traps do the trick.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

No doubt.  I had to move my stove to find out they were coming in through a hole in the wall where the electrical cord went.  Stuffed it full of steel wool, which is one of the few things the little buggers won't chew through, and haven't seen one in years now.  Hantavirus is nothing to mess around with.  

3 hours ago, Pete said:

cat, snake, or a Jack Russel Terrier

Years ago came home with my wife and kids all freaked out - there was a black snake in our kitchen.  Figured out it came in through hole in the subfloor for the sink drain.  Next day find out there was a mouse in the kitchen - realized then that the snake came in after the mouse.

There's a big black snake that I see every once in a while around my house - I leave it alone - know it is taking care of any mice (also took out a bird in a tree one day - that is a whole other story)

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Some time between going to work at about 8:00 AM and coming home at 12:30 I got the mouse!! Finally!!! It was in one of those plastic snap traps with the jaws.

Are you asking for a recipe? 

11 hours ago, The Avenger said:

If you live in an area with field mice trying to seal up your house will drive you crazy because there's almost no way to do it. Those critters can squeeze through a hole smaller than a dime and can chew through just about anything, including metal. The sooner you realize it's almost impossible to "mouse-proof" your house and focus on just catching/killing what gets in the better off you'll be. My wife freaks out over mice and always wants to make sure none get into the house - I told her that was impossible but I would do what I could to take care of any that get in - 2 cats and lots of spring traps do the trick.

You must be vigilant and do whatever it takes to stem the flow. I get that it’s nearly impossible to be 100% successful but no amount of traps and cats will slow the steady rise of your mice population unless you continually plug the holes. It’s worth getting an expert or you will forever have mice. 

Edited by Max Fischer

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’m devastated to report that I caught another one overnight!! The exterminator will be coming today and I am also looking at a new house at 10 AM CST (seriously). 

These are just Ben's scouts.  When they don't come reporting back to Ben, Ben comes looking for them.  Get out now.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:35 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have this horrible memory of my sweet Sicialian gramma chopping in half with garden pruners a mouse caught in one of these glue traps.

Did she then grind it up and put it in the sauce?