I have a mouse

Kirby Jackson

I live in the middle of a cornfield, so mice right after the harvest cannot be avoided...

I tie a bit of butcher string through the opening on the trigger and then smear peanut butter on it (standard wood/spring kill trap). This will make sure you don't have a set trap where they steal the peanut butter (field mice are super tiny and don't always set off the trap). They have to tug on the string to get all the PB off of it, and subsequently die quickly.

Good luck

50 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I hate rodents. I’ve set traps everywhere. Anyone have any recommendations on the best kind of traps or what I should do?

Many years ago, when my grandfather was put into a nursing home, I took on the task of cleaning his house.

It was infested with mice.  I don't even know how he lived there.

Anyway, my parents called Orkin.  They explained to me that mice don't see well, so they always stay near to the walls - hence placing the traps there.

The only thing I don't like about the glue traps is that the mice don't die.  They're just stuck.  You can't free them, so you have to kill them.  Or they die of heart attacks.  They did the job, but it was not fun.  I bought a gun that shot "large BBs," so I could put them out of their misery.

If poison is an option (no kids or pets), then I'd place that along the floor boards near the wall.  At least they'll die faster.

• Like (+1) 2

I had two in my basement last year around this time.  The cat cornered both of them long enough for me to come by with a length of 1x2. A quick pop in the head ended things fast. Those little guys can't take much of a knock. I didn't have any snap traps around. They work great.  I won't use poison because my cat gets everywhere and the mice just die in the walls and stink for a few days. 

Edited by snafu

Texted you.

Brief: If you have pets or care about animals - do t use poison. 

Sticky traps are no fun, messy, and can cause suffering

Kill traps designed just for mice are way to go.  

Tractor supply and Lowe's have best selection I've ever seen 

37 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Many years ago, when my grandfather was put into a nursing home, I took on the task of cleaning his house.

It was infested with mice.  I don't even know how he lived there.

Anyway, my parents called Orkin.  They explained to me that mice don't see well, so they always stay near to the walls - hence placing the traps there.

The only thing I don't like about the glue traps is that the mice don't die.  They're just stuck.  You can't free them, so you have to kill them.  Or they die of heart attacks.  They did the job, but it was not fun.  I bought a gun that shot "large BBs," so I could put them out of their misery.

If poison is an option (no kids or pets), then I'd place that along the floor boards near the wall.  At least they'll die faster.

Gun seems kind of messy.  Just drown then in a 5 gallon bucket.  Glue trap and all.

I am not exactly PETA's best friend, but clean and effective.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Gun seems kind of messy.  Just drown then in a 5 gallon bucket.  Glue trap and all.

I am not exactly PETA's best friend, but clean and effective.

These large BBs didn't penetrate skin.  Kind of like a mini wrecking ball.