Bills Release Peterman

Steptide

Having Peterman anywhere around the team is a bad idea. No practice squad, please!

He can have nothing but a negative effect on the players psyche.

Just seeing him must roil the blood of some of the players, and bring negativity to others state of mind. 

Edited by OJ Tom

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

From what I've read, he's a very smart guy. Unfortunately that doesn't always translate to on field play. Maybe he has a future in coaching or a front office some where. I honestly wish him the best. Kid's dedicated his entire life to this game, up until this point. I don't want him on the team anymore, but if he ends up learning from his mistakes, going somewhere else and becoming a dominant, or even serviceable QB I'll be happy for him. 

It's true that coaching could be an option. If it playing bug eats at him, the other leagues. 

Kind of weird that if he had been on a team with established QBs, he'd never seen game time field, but would have collected quality paychecks for much longer with his brains and good practice/pregame showings. Having some real chances with the Bills basically cost him money! 

2 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

It's true that coaching could be an option. If it playing bug eats at him, the other leagues. 

Kind of weird that if he had been on a team with established QBs, he'd never seen game time field, but would have collected quality paychecks for much longer with his brains and good practice/pregame showings. Having some real chances with the Bills basically cost him money! 

That's an odd way of looking at it, but true. Look at all these guys who's only accomplishments were backing up Brady* for years, but when finally given their chance, did nothing. 

Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

Few QB's have been thrown into a crappier position, and few have been as respectful and classy through it all.

From being thrown to the wolves in their first game starting, to being made the scapegoat and getting yanked half way through the first game of the season, it's clear the coaching staff did him no favors. And for someone to have their lifelong dream turn into a national joke, it's an unfortunate thing to experience. Being witness to it is one thing, but actually living it must be excruciating. Not saying he never had opportunities, only those opportunities were marred by issues outside of his control.

And to see fans celebrate your career's end must be exceptionally difficult after all the effort & work spent to get to this point, and after truly embracing the city when you arrived here. To think last April he was probably elated to even be selected to play in the NFL, and think at worst he'd have to sit a few years & work his way up by default of being a 5th round pick. Now, a year and a half later, here he is likely done forever...partly due to his own performance, and very much to do with the misfortune of being drafted by the Bills. 

That 5th round pick also happened to be a result of a trade with the Cowboys. I'd imagine if Peterman was selected by the Cowboys, his career would've gone much, much differently.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Peterman for giving his all and embracing the city, and I'm sorry for the way fans treated you and the way your career ended. Best of wishes.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Best of luck to him in his future endeavors.

Few QB's have been thrown into a crappier position, and few have been as respectful and classy through it all.

From being thrown to the wolves in their first game starting, to being made the scapegoat and getting yanked half way through the first game of the season, it's clear the coaching staff did him no favors. And for someone to have their lifelong dream turn into a national joke, it's an unfortunate thing to experience. Being witness to it is one thing, but actually living it must be excruciating. Not saying he never had opportunities, only those opportunities were marred by issues outside of his control.

And to see fans celebrate your career's end must be exceptionally difficult after all the effort & work spent to get to this point, and after truly embracing the city when you arrived here. To think last April he was probably elated to even be selected to play in the NFL, and think at worst he'd have to sit a few years & work his way up by default of being a 5th round pick. Now, a year and a half later, here he is likely done forever...partly due to his own performance, and very much to do with the misfortune of being drafted by the Bills. 

That 5th round pick also happened to be a result of a trade with the Cowboys. I'd imagine if Peterman was selected by the Cowboys, his career would've gone much, much differently.

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Peterman for giving his all and embracing the city, and I'm sorry for the way fans treated you and the way your career ended. Best of wishes.

Yes and no.

Look at the history of the NFL. There are a ton of random QB's that start a game here or there every year. Guys like a Mullins in SF or Tuel with Bills a few years ago and so on.

Two differences. 1) They are better than NP. 2) The coaches dont put them out there over and over if it is clear they should not be. 

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Yes and no.

Look at the history of the NFL. There are a ton of random QB's that start a game here or there every year. Guys like a Mullins in SF or Tuel with Bills a few years ago and so on.

Two differences. 1) They are better than NP. 2) The coaches dont put them out there over and over if it is clear they should not be. 

I get what you mean, but I can argue significant differences & advantages they had over Peterman. And I agree, coaches should not be putting guys out there over & over again if it's clear they shouldn't be, but our coaches not only failed him in development, they failed the team by failing to sign a veteran mentor/place-holder for Allen, and traded away our other QB for nothing before the season started.

1) Mullens started his first 2 games at home against a 1-6 Raiders team (0-4 on the road), ranked 24th in total defense, and followed that up against a 1-7 Giants team at home (1-3 on the road), ranked 19th in total defense. 

Peterman started his first 2 games on the road traveling across the country against a Chargers team that began the season 0-4, but had gone 3-2 in their last 5 games, with the 2 losses coming against the Patriots on the road (only losing by 8 ) and the Jaguars on the road in OT (only losing by 3), the two teams that were in the AFC Championship game. The Chargers had the 3rd ranked passing defense, and were 3rd best in takeaways. Prior to that, the Bills hadn't won a game at San Diego/LA since 1981, and since then are 3-10 overall against them.

To top it off, he also had to face the Bills former Offensive Coordinator and Head Coach Anthony Lynn, who knew damn near everything about our offensive players. To add even more to the uphill battle, he began the game without our #2 WR in Jordan Matthews, our LT Cordy Glenn was out for the 2nd straight game, our starting Guard John Miller was out, Charles Clay was still dealing with a leg injury that had him out for several weeks, and Kelvin Benjamin got injured on his first reception of the first drive & was carted off the field.

Following that, his next start was against a bad Colts team at home. Should be the perfect opportunity to show how capable he is right? Too bad it was in a blizzard...  And let's not downplay the significance of that weather, it was awful. Somehow in spite of all that, he still managed to be the best QB in that game, but the odds were not in his favor.

2) Tuel only started one game, and he had a very good surrounding cast in his games, quite the opposite of Peterman. Buffalo had the #2 rushing offense, and quite a few weapons. I'm not even sure why you brought up Tuel though, he didn't do well, played less games, and was out quicker than Peterman. Yes, he fits the "random QB that starts a game here or there," but that's what backups are supposed to do. Peterman was outright named the starter for the season, then made to be the scapegoat for the team's failure half way through week 1. That's a weak ass move, and shows the kind of foresight & decision making McDermott has, and now we're supposed to trust him to properly develop Allen into even a semi-decent NFL player? 

Anyway, all I'm saying is the deck was stacked against him, and it's remarkable just how poorly his career was managed by those in charge. Yes, he failed to execute too, but to expect a 5th round rookie to come in & save the day under those conditions, then follow up the next year by truly destroying any chance at proper development was really unfair.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1