Week 10 Hindsight: Was the AJ McCarron Trade a Good One?

Rigotz

Hindsight: Was the AJ McCarron Trade a Good One?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Hindsight: Was the AJ McCarron Trade a Good One?

• Yes (AJ to Raiders for a high 5th Round Pick)
    • No (AJ the Starter/Backup in Buffalo)

I don't think he is any kind of difference maker.  Buffalo drafted Wyatt Teller in the fifth round in 2018.  He's suddenly looking like a pretty good pick.  A fifth for McCarron might product a pretty good contributer to the Bills next year and longer.

11 hours ago, JimKellyTryouts said:

AJ would not have been the difference in any of our losses if his preseason performance (and limited action versus SF on Thursday) was any indication. A high fifth for a guy that will be lucky to still be in the NFL in a few years is a big win for us. 

You do realize that AJ McCarron looked positively Barkley-esque in some of his infrequent starts in Cincy?  For example:  Here's his first ever start: 15-21, 192, 115.6 QB rating. 

What Barkley's start proves to me is this: if we had gone into the season with a reasonably competent NFL QB as our starter, we actually could have been competitive this year, just like we were last year. As it is, it's been a squandered opportunity - a half-assed rebuild, a flaccid PeterTank, whatever you want to call it. So yes, it was a mistake.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You do realize that AJ McCarron looked positively Barkley-esque in some of his infrequent starts in Cincy?  For example:  Here's his first ever start: 15-21, 192, 115.6 QB rating. 

What Barkley's start proves to me is this: if we had gone into the season with a reasonably competent NFL QB as our starter, we actually could have been competitive this year, just like we were last year. As it is, it's been a squandered opportunity - a half-assed rebuild, a flaccid PeterTank, whatever you want to call it. So yes, it was a mistake.

Well yeah, he was much better set up for success in Cincinnati (great OL, running and receiving weapons, coaching, the whole shebang). The years he did took ever were the peak of that team. I'm still inclined to think he wouldn't be good enough to elevate our level of play from loss to win in most - if not all - our games though. 

22 hours ago, Rigotz said:

After week 10, we know 3 new things:

- Raiders pick will likely be top 3, which makes the 5th rounder more valuable.

- Matt Barkley might be a decent backup / interim starter.

- Nate Peterman is not a decent backup / interim starter.

Curious where you all fall on this one now.

Getting a 5th rounder for a guy who wasn't good enough in pre season to beat out Peterman when we were most likely going to cut him anyways? I'd say that was a heck of a deal imo.

5th round draft pick for someone who may not ever play again in the NFL? Sign me up!

12 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Any time you can get a 5th round pick for a QB that couldn’t beat out Nathan Peterman for the job, it’s a good trade. 

“AJ wasn’t who we thought he was”, speaks volumes. 

Bingo!

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Any time you can get a 5th round pick for a QB that couldn’t beat out Nathan Peterman for the job, it’s a good trade. 

“AJ wasn’t who we thought he was”, speaks volumes. 

Yeah. AJ is better than Peterman (who isn’t) but he didn’t show it this preseason and he won’t have made a big difference either way.  A 5th round pick is way more than he is worth.  

The problem was going into the season with just Peterman and a Allen and not signing a vet QBs right away.

14 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I didn't vote because I'm not going to succumb to peer pressure, but I'll take the pick over AJ. We don't need him on the roster in order to post pics of his gf.

downloadfile-5.jpg

She’s pretty for Alabama. ?

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

It's not possible to judge it because we haven't seen him play this season. If he didnt get injured he would have probably still been here and played, but the injury made him lose ground and the Bill's decided they liked the draft pick more.

He was losing ground before he got hurt, too. 

14 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Maybe you forgot how AJ getting owned by 3rd string defenses in the preseason?  If you are going to fault Beane, it should be for not having a better plan once AJ and then Peterman weren’t going to work out.   But the trade of AJ was actually a good move 

People here are forgetting a lot of things in their quest to show they are the smartest people in the room.  Bridgewater sat unsigned for a while because teams were unsure if he was fully recovered from his injuries and he has not played a string of games to show he can take being pounded on week after week.  The Bills were kind of in flip a coin mode for the QB's that were out there and what was known about each one.

On 11/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, klos63 said:

I think it was the wrong move at the time. Up until yesterday it was still the wrong move. Even if Barkley becomes a decent asset it was poor judgement to move McCarron and rely on Peterman. The QB situation over the last month has been an embarrassment for the organization.

I agree 150% !!

Peterman's regular season performance made it the wrong move. I'm no advocate for McCarron and don't blame the FO for being fooled. Peterman definitely won the preseason and fooled everyone.

Right move at the time. Wrong move in hindsight. McCarron showed he's a stable, if unspectacular QB in his past real game action.

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Peterman's regular season performance made it the wrong move. I'm no advocate for McCarron and don't blame the FO for being fooled. Peterman definitely won the preseason and fooled everyone.

Right move at the time. Wrong move in hindsight. McCarron showed he's a stable, if unspectacular QB in his past real game action.

I've said this before, it's one thing to fool that fans, it's a problem when the coaches get fooled.