Week 10 Hindsight: Was the AJ McCarron Trade a Good One?

Rigotz

Hindsight: Was the AJ McCarron Trade a Good One?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Hindsight: Was the AJ McCarron Trade a Good One?

• Yes (AJ to Raiders for a high 5th Round Pick)
    • No (AJ the Starter/Backup in Buffalo)

After week 10, we know 3 new things:

- Raiders pick will likely be top 3, which makes the 5th rounder more valuable.

- Matt Barkley might be a decent backup / interim starter.

- Nate Peterman is not a decent backup / interim starter.

Curious where you all fall on this one now.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it was the wrong move at the time. Up until yesterday it was still the wrong move. Even if Barkley becomes a decent asset it was poor judgement to move McCarron and rely on Peterman. The QB situation over the last month has been an embarrassment for the organization.

• Like (+1) 3

AJ would not have been the difference in any of our losses if his preseason performance (and limited action versus SF on Thursday) was any indication. A high fifth for a guy that will be lucky to still be in the NFL in a few years is a big win for us. 

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

Neither AJ nor Peterman was the answer and never would be. Bills went cheap dumping TT's 16m and looking for a quick fix while they went after their franchise QB. Smart money would have signed Teddy B.  Barkley wasn't available until a few weeks ago, so we can't factor that in.  DA should have been here in camp. They had to measure the little 3 (JA/AJ/NP) against a vet to see what they had. AJ's play was so bad, that we couldn't even get a read on how pathetic Peterman was until the bullets started flying. By then it was too late and we lost the season.  

We all shuffled the blame from the OL, WR, TE and even the OC trying to figure out what went so wrong. Barkley let us see al plainly see that it was QB play and a few bad apples (KB/Clay,Ducasse) that were causing the problems. Now that we have fixed what we could, it's time to move forward full speed ahead and get as many wins as possible. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I voted no because for a professional football operation, they showed an astounding lack of planning for a worst case scenario and an absurd amount of what I'd call "blind faith" in Nate Peterman.

What if Peterman sucks?

What if we don't want to play Allen or he's hurt?

Out of moves on the chess board, they had to go out and grab a guy off a golf course (Anderson) and a guy who hadn't played in over two years (Barkley). 

IMO, highly paid NFL executives shouldn't be reduced to doing those things IN season.  

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I voted no because for a professional football operation, they showed an astounding lack of planning for a worst case scenario and an absurd amount of what I'd call "blind faith" in Nate Peterman.

What if Peterman sucks?

What if we don't want to play Allen or he's hurt?

Out of moves on the chess board, they had to go out and grab a guy off a golf course (Anderson) and a guy who hadn't played in over two years (Barkley). 

IMO, highly paid NFL executives shouldn't be reduced to doing those things IN season.  

Shhh. You can't question them on that. According to the Billievers they know what they are doing. Trust the process cause next season they are going to fix the offense. 

I myself can't trust them in fixing the offense after seeing how they evaluated the QB situation this season. 

2 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

Neither AJ nor Peterman was the answer and never would be. Bills went cheap dumping TT's 16m and looking for a quick fix while they went after their franchise QB. Smart money would have signed Teddy B.  Barkley wasn't available until a few weeks ago, so we can't factor that in.  DA should have been here in camp. They had to measure the little 3 (JA/AJ/NP) against a vet to see what they had. AJ's play was so bad, that we couldn't even get a read on how pathetic Peterman was until the bullets started flying. By then it was too late and we lost the season.  

We all shuffled the blame from the OL, WR, TE and even the OC trying to figure out what went so wrong. Barkley let us see al plainly see that it was QB play and a few bad apples (KB/Clay,Ducasse) that were causing the problems. Now that we have fixed what we could, it's time to move forward full speed ahead and get as many wins as possible. 

There's a lot of good here. But especially the point that if Peterman showed us more in the preseason than AJ, how exactly does anyone expect that retaining AJ would have gone any differently/better? I get going into the season with NP and JA only was an issue and we likely should have picked up DA at that time if we could have, or someone else for contingency, but the fact that NP beat out AJ in preseason says everything.

Caveats? One game from Barkley doesn't all of a sudden prove this all to be true. Our OL is still atrocious and our WR corps depleted - I'm not sure we've seen an NFL TE on the roster for quite some time either. 

The other point in reference to this post - it's still too early to tell whether it was good or bad. We haven't picked our guy in the 5th yet with the raiders pick so long term we may actually end up being okay and it'll be a complete non-issue when we create a perennial playoff contender. Even if we don't, there's no pointing to this as the exact reason why as keeping AJ wouldn't have set us up in any different a position as a result. Short term? Likely hurt us only because we didn't replace him and put too much faith in Peterman to carry the team. But even then, I wonder exactly just how different things would've been if we kept him on the roster. My guess is not much at all.

15 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

With a $5M salary and given that he was unable to beat out Peterman in practice or the pre-season games, trading McCarron was absolutely the right move.

You are right about this.  So the real question is given the potential veteran FA QB's available at the time did they make an error in judgement by signing McCarron and being put into a position where trading him for a 5th and taking a $2.1M dead cap hit was the best option?   Given the drafting of Allen was an older veteran 'mentor' (e.g. D. Anderson) a better option from the start of the season?  My view, they screwed the pooch with their handling of the QB position from the start but maybe, just maybe they stepped in it with Barkley.  But with just one game against the Jets the jury is still out on that.

7 hours ago, klos63 said:

I think it was the wrong move at the time. Up until yesterday it was still the wrong move. Even if Barkley becomes a decent asset it was poor judgement to move McCarron and rely on Peterman. The QB situation over the last month has been an embarrassment for the organization.

Maybe you forgot how AJ getting owned by 3rd string defenses in the preseason?  If you are going to fault Beane, it should be for not having a better plan once AJ and then Peterman weren’t going to work out.   But the trade of AJ was actually a good move 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it was a completely fine move. Some people seem to forget that AJ was not good in the preseason. He likely would have played no better than Derek Anderson had he started. Which is probably the same train of thought Beane and McDermott had. If you can get any asset for a completely replaceable player, you do it. 

Edited by Bills2ref

38 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Maybe you forgot how AJ getting owned by 3rd string defenses in the preseason?  If you are going to fault Beane, it should be for not having a better plan once AJ and then Peterman weren’t going to work out.   But the trade of AJ was actually a good move 

I'm not saying AJ was the savior, but he was also playing with 3rd stringers. We saw with Peterman and Allen really that preseason games aren't a good indication for regular season performance. The coaches shouldn't get fooled by preseason games, that's what fans do. We can probably agree they botched the QB situation this season.

51 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Kind of surprising to see 32% of people still saying it's a bad trade. What would the benefit be of having McCarron right now?

Perhaps the previous few weeks wouldn't have been historically poor offensive performances and maybe we would have beaten Houston too.  He might not have ruined so many fans Sunday's watching horrendous QB play.  Do you want  a chance to win games or don't you?

• Like (+1) 1