11-12: McDermott's Bye Week Presser at 1:30 PM ET - Josh Allen Will Start Week 12 vs. JAX If Healthy

26CornerBlitz

8 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

100%... wonder why he’s never caught on, you know beyond the ‘eyeball test’ & ‘he sux’ rhetoric 

In doing cursory research to try to answer your question I stumbled upon this gem. Man I love Wikipedia sometimes!

9kBK7Qa.jpg

And Wikipedia has already corrected it... :(

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Haha (+1) 5

2 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

My guess is they'll cut Peterman and then put him on the PS. Allen will be the starter and Barkley the backup. Anderson will be the 3 and inactive on game day.

No sense in the practice squad. The Bills would have to let someone go to make room. Just time to cut the cord.

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

You think it's believable that Allen went from all but being the starter yesterday to needing more than two more weeks? 

Not really.  but that does not mean they will not say they want him at 105% before sending him back out there.  Just my opinion.

I don't think today's comments by McDermott were remotely unexpected, and I also don't think they mean Allen will start.

Until they start practicing for the Jags game and Allen is taking all the 1st team reps and is no longer listed as "limited," McDermott's out remains Allen's injury.

I would like to see Allen starting for the last 6 weeks.

But what's great now is that I'm not utterly disgusted by the alternative option.

The UCL is a tricky injury. It's not common for QBs. And when he got injured and got his 2nd opinion on it, the Doctor didn't definitively say Allen wouldn't need what ultimately amounts to Tommy John's surgery. I think if we see Allen against the Jags, it's because he's 100% healthy and doesn't risk making his UCL injury worse.

I thought for sure Allen would start yesterday and was shocked when Barkley was named the starter instead and Allen was deactivated.

That says Allen's obviously not 100%... and maybe not that close to 100% given the appearance of naming a guy who just signed with your team 10 days before as your starting QB. 

Luckily that worked out.

I don't know why people put any credence in anything McDermott says. He's not a straight shooter about a lot of things.

Actions speak louder than words, and the real answer comes when we start practicing for the Jags. Anyone know when that is? 0:)

I don’t necessarily agree with this decision. I can understand getting Allen more reps, but I think Barkley deserves another shot against a slightly better at this point team than the Jets. Not to mention I’m quite sure the defense would advocate starting Barkley given his performance with very little time to prepare. 

As Beane said, they have no plans to tank and while Allen may be the future, it wouldn’t be fair to the defense to accept possibly losing more games for the sake of Allen getting more reps. 

I think giving Barkley at least the start against the Jags would be ok, and if he stinks up the joint, then give Allen the rest of the season

Edited by buffalo2218

As long as Allen is healthy, he is the starter. Love that McD did not equivocate on this.

Allen is the team's future franchise QB and he should play as much as possible this season - when the Bills are obviously not competing for a playoff spot. No pressure.

Yesterday's game showed the staff is trying out a bunch of youngsters: Foster, Teller, Wallace. They might be the future, so might as well see what they can do. Let them make mistakes.

Same with Allen. Let him loose. Who cares if he throws some picks? He'll learn.

The nucleus of this team going forward is:

Milano
H. Phillips
Tre White
T. Johnson
Edmunds
Dawkins
Teller
Foster
Jones

And Allen.

Only Dawkins is more than a 2nd year player.

Add in a few veterans like Hughes, McCoy, Star, Alexander, and a few wildcards like McKenzie and Wallace...and this team will be vastly improved next year - especially with a couple of keep FA signings and a new draft class.

This year, start and play the youngsters. Give Allen reps.

The Process is working.

• Like (+1) 1

From McDermott's WGR Interview:

McDermott on Allen being ruled out vs. NYJ - I would say he was close. The signs started to present themselves that he wouldn't be able to go.

McDermott on Allen's injury - No setbacks. Just a natural progression of a player coming back from injury and we knew we had the bye coming up.

McDermott - I was around a situation in Philly years ago where AJ Feely came in and won some games for us, but when the starter was back, the starter played.

McDermott - Josh is our starter. He'll remain our starter, when healthy. Although I thought Matt did a great job, Josh is the starter.

McDermott - When you look at young QBs, you have to take it with a grain of salt. There will be bumps in the road. It's all about Josh's development and experience.

McDermott on Allen's last performance vs. Houston - Thought he was playing his best game of the year, made his best throw of the season on the play he was injured.

McDermott on having 4 QBs - There's not a whole lot of teams that carry four. Have to try and re-balance the board here as things settle down.

Mike Rodak

r449827_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

It appears as if journeyman quarterback Matt Barkley's successful debut as the Buffalo Bills starter will be limited to one outing.

"Josh is our starter when healthy, and his development is important for him and for us as we move forward, getting experience," McDermott said. "You've seen a lot of quarterbacks this season play, and it's important that he gets as many reps as he can get in live game action."

Allen is 2/3 as a starter, and has missed four games since spraining his right throwing elbow. The first-round draft pick began testing his arm on Nov. 2, and spent all of last week practicing on a limited basis. He wasn't ruled out from playing against the Jets until Saturday.

I'm glad McDermott made it clear that Allen was starting if healthy - we don't need to be playing head games with our young QB .  I know some folks think this gives McDermoot an out if he wants to go with Barkley but I don't buy that.  There is a possibility that Allen regresses on his injury and if he does he shouldn't play.  But if he's healthy he will play and McDermott confirmed that today. 

Letting Peterman go was also the right move and indicates that they're confident Allen will be able to go. 

As far as Barkley goes, it's important that we may have found a competent back-up.  We have to many other needs on offense to be wasting time on securing a back-up QB.  But let's be honest here, Barkley's maximum upside is Kyle Orton and that translates to a whole bunch of 7-9 & 8-8 seasons.  We've had 20 of these with ONLY ONE playoff appearance to show for it.  Allen was an attempt by the organization to break this cycle.  It was a risky pick but they did it for Allen's upside.  Whether that upside is anywhere near what we think it is can ONLY be determined on the field. 

I can't say I'm surprised. This does support what I've been saying which is that wins are secondary this year. They think Allen can be a franchise QB and Barkley can't so regardless of who gives the team a better chance to win they will start the potential franchise QB. I hope the receivers and line can keep it up the rest of the season.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Let the conjecture continue.

Next Monday when they practice is when we get the first legitimate clue as to whether Allen or Barkley starts against the Jags.

I don't know why everyone doesn't take every single thing McDermott says with a grain of salt.

Remember last year after the Saints game when McDermott said "Tyrod's our starter," only to stupidly bench him for the same guy that McDermott today said he was "still confident in" hours before cutting him? :lol:

Yeah, I like McDermott. But I believe very little of what he says.

9 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
0ap3000000987511_thumbnail_200_150.jpg
Buffalo Bills coach Sean McDermott said rookie quarterback Josh Allen will resume the starting role if he is healthy following the bye week. Allen missed the past four games with an elbow injury

You forgot the "if healthy" part, which is pretty critical.

Biggest Injury Questions for All 32 teams in Week 11

Josh Allen (elbow) healthy and back in the starting lineup when they return from their bye week to host the Jaguars in Week 12. One question will be whether top tight end Charles Clay(hamstring) is able to play after missing last Sunday's win over the Jets. He was listed as week-to-week and did not practice before that game. -- Mike Rodak