Matt Barkley (asking for a friend)

McBean

Let me begin by saying this was going to get cluttered in the “start Allen or Barkley” thread so I wanted to create this on it’s own.

Serious question I’m asking that I generally want to know...

Has Matt Barkley ever been given a real chance to be a starting NFL QB?

The year we drafted EJ I wanted us to take Barkley. He had a great collegiate career at a top program. He was the #1 overall high school quarterback in the nation and I believe he started as a freshman.

This is not an OVERREACTION. I’m just intrigued by him the more I look into this because showcasing what he did yesterday can’t just be ignored.

Would love to hear from you all that know more about him than me.

Thanks 

Edited by McBean

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Let me begin by saying this was going to get cluttered in the “start Allen or Barkley” thread so I wanted to create this on it’s own.

The year we drafted EJ I wanted us to take Barkley. He had a great collegiate career at a top program. He was the #1 overall high school quarterback in the nation and I believe he started as a freshman.

This is not an OVERREACTION. I’m just intrigued by him the more I look into this because showcasing what he did yesterday can’t just be ignored.

Thanks 

Matt Barkley coming out of college had all the tools but never had a strong arm. So he fell in the draft and no he’s never been given a chance. But he’s never really earned one either. He has put up some decent yards but he throws more INTs then he does touchdowns. I believe he earned himself one more start. I mean if McBeane isn’t tanking like they say then you have to go with the hot hand. They wanted Allen to sit and learn anyway. 

• Like (+1) 4

The Bears started him a few games and despite throwing 300 yards multiple games  (as the announcers said 1000 times) he didn’t look that good. 

Capable backup type quarterback, surely zero starting potential would be my guess. Starting caliber quarterbacks are not free agents and let go from multiple teams and found in free agency. 

Maybe a team could miss, but no way multiple teams miss. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Even yesterday when he generally looked surprisingly good (especially compared to whet we’ve been watching lately) there were times where the ball lacked the zip you’d like to see full time. That said....THANK YOU for a glimmer of light in the darkness! 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, McBean said:

Thanks 

Yesterday was 2 dropped INT away from being a very average to below average game. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

Thanks 

I conceptually liked what Barkley did yesterday, but even that wasn't necessarily a great exhibition of throwing. He threw some nice balls, some 50/50 balls, and a couple that probably should have been picks but given the situations we were in, I really wouldn't have minded even if they had been INT's.

The 2 big things he did was make a concerted effort to throw the ball downfield and give our WR's the opportunities to make plays. I hope McDermott and Daboll don't try to beat that out of him. The rules in the NFL make those kinds of plays favorable, even if you don't have great WR's. You have to try to take advantage. We also have to try to develop at least a couple of these WR's. Give them some shots.

Ultimately though, I still think talent-wise that the guy's potential is as a solid backup. Even that we have to see if he can do something similar to this more often, but not at the price of sitting Allen down. I'm sure if he sticks around, some opportunities to start here and there will still come up. 

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

Yesterday was 2 dropped INT away from being a very average to below average game. 

From purely a stats perspective, yes. But I still would've liked his mindset from the beginning of pushing the ball downfield. One of those drops was on 3rd and 10 that he threw from what I believe was our 40 to around their 20 on 3rd and 10. I don't really mind taking chances like that, it's most likely going to end up being somewhat similar to a punt anyway. 

• Like (+1) 2

Barkley should have come out after his junior year as he would have been picked in the top 10. He would have been exposed and eventually been seen as a bust, but he would have made some coin in the process. 

Instead, he chose to stay in school (something I appreciate, btw), his senior exposed him, and then the combine and pro day workouts confirmed what scouts had suspected: he simply didn't have a major league arm. His high interception ratio bears that out as well. 

But as we all know, there is a lot more to the position than just an arm and Barkley showed that yesterday. Perhaps we've solved our backup QB problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

He started 6 games for the Bears in 2016.  Consecutive games I believe and I watched most of them and attended at least 1.  Much like yesterday he's a confident guy and willing to throw the ball vertically down the field.  He had a ton of picks, Peterman-like for all you Peterman experts out there.  His arm strength is clearly a weakness much like Nate.  It's doubtful any GM sees him as a potential starter.  Yesterday, however, was probably his best ever game of his career all things considered. What fans liked about him in Chicago was his confidence, willingness to attack the defense and he had good pocket presence.  He is marginal athletically and he made a lot of errant throws.  Personally I remember thinking that he was a young guy then and if he could cure his tendency to throw picks, he'd be a great backup.  The Bears felt otherwise and cut the cord with him. 

He's a well spoken guy, seems to be smart, shows leadership and has a damned the torpedos full speed ahead attitude on the field which are all good qualities.  Nowhere near the athlete that Josh is and maybe even a notch below Nate in that regard.  He looks a bit chubby to me, he's probably not in top shape right now.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, McBean said:

Thanks 

Funny you mention this.  I was actually quoted on this board as stating I hope the Bills run to the podium if he is there with our pick in the second round.  Could not believe he lasted to the fourth round.  Looks like I was wrong because no one has given him a chance to start since he came into the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, McBean said:

Thanks 

He is a good BACKUP.

• Like (+1) 1

He's decisive, which is part of the reason the offensive line "looked" so much better yesterday. Our first round QB should take note of that.

His skillset relegates him to backup. As others have pointed out, he easily could have thrown 2 picks. They weren't mental errors either. Both times he nearly threw a pick, it was an arm strength issue. You can't teach speed or arm strength.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

He's decisive, which is part of the reason the offensive line "looked" so much better yesterday. Our first round QB should take note of that.

His skillset relegates him to backup. As others have pointed out, he easily could have thrown 2 picks. They weren't mental errors either. Both times he nearly threw a pick, it was an arm strength issue. You can't teach speed or arm strength.

If he's a legit backup, that's still a nice addition. We need one.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Offensive line looked better b.c of Teller and the garbage team they were playing. 

Barkley had so much time to throw yesterday