Matt Barkley (asking for a friend)

McBean

18 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The element of speed was added to the lineup with Foster and McKenzie that the Jets had to respect after the opening play.  That also opened up running lanes for <cCoy and Murphy. 

Yeah, Foster wasn’t ever there when Allen or Peterman played... McKenzie il give you. Hopefully that really was it and the run opens up every week and we sling it all over. Maybe Teller made a big difference. Who knows? I hope Allen kills it. All I know I that if Allen plays a few games and we end up scoring 10 points a week again, the crowd is going to get restless. Then if somehow Barkley got back in and went right back to leading the offense to points, it won’t be good for Allen. I hope the kid plays real well. I just have thought all along he wasn’t ready and I think that more and more every time I see him play. It’s great to learn by playing but in a league where your time clock is running the second you get in....For your own good, you might want it to start after you know what you are doing. Otherwise you will be Blane Gabberting yourself from clipboard to clipboard before you know it.

Just now, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Yeah, Foster wasn’t ever there when Allen or Peterman played... McKenzie il give you. Hopefully that really was it and the run opens up every week and we sling it all over. Maybe Teller made a big difference. Who knows? I hope Allen kills it. All I know I that if Allen plays a few games and we end up scoring 10 points a week again, the crowd is going to get restless. Then if somehow Barkley got back in and went right back to leading the offense to points, it won’t be good for Allen. I hope the kid plays real well. I just have thought all along he wasn’t ready and I think that more and more every time I see him play. It’s great to learn by playing but in a league where your time clock is running the second you get in....For your own good, you might want it to start after you know what you are doing. Otherwise you will be Blane Gabberting yourself from clipboard to clipboard before you know it.

Not the new and improved Foster who can actually track a deep ball and catch it. 

I will say this, I always put Barkley into the smart-but-noodle-armed QB camp. But the bomb to Foster and the bullet to Zay in a really tight window for the TD kinda surprised me.  Maybe it was just  like the few rockets that Fitzy used to crank now and again before going back to the usual mediocrity, but those were some good looking passes.

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

How did these WRs magically get “separation” yesterday? We converted 50% of 3rd Downs and kept the chains moving all day. Should have had 3 TD passes. How were the same guys that suck and never “get open” open all day? I mean, maybe if the QB knows what he’s looking at the guys are open? Maybe our WRs aren’t the problem all of the time? If we pick up right where we left off and rip off 30 against the Jags, maybe we are okay. If we go back to scoring 5-10 points every week again, maybe we open our minds a little bit about the QB position. I hope yesterday was just the beginning and we put up 35 a week with Allen. I guess we shall see

Well put. Time will tell just what to make of yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I will say this, I always put Barkley into the smart-but-noodle-armed QB camp. But the bomb to Foster and the bullet to Zay in a really tight window for the TD kinda surprised me.  Maybe it was just  like the few rockets that Fitzy used to crank now and again before going back to the usual mediocrity, but those were some good looking passes.

I think Fitzpatrick may be the best recent analogy to Barkley.  I am guessing that Barkley would have games like yesterday with games like his bears games with multiple picks mixed in.   I think his ceiling is Andy Dalton level of play.  

Barkley has a below average arm, isn't a physically imposing passer, and a guy who doesn't move around much and isn't going to make any plays with his legs. 

He seems like the type of guy who should have carved out a role as a half decent backup, but for whatever reason that hasn't happened. 

Ultimately he was a 4th round pick for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

How did these WRs magically get “separation” yesterday? We converted 50% of 3rd Downs and kept the chains moving all day. Should have had 3 TD passes. How were the same guys that suck and never “get open” open all day? I mean, maybe if the QB knows what he’s looking at the guys are open? Maybe our WRs aren’t the problem all of the time? If we pick up right where we left off and rip off 30 against the Jags, maybe we are okay. If we go back to scoring 5-10 points every week again, maybe we open our minds a little bit about the QB position. I hope yesterday was just the beginning and we put up 35 a week with Allen. I guess we shall see

Agreed.

Yesterday really put into perspective how awful Allen, Peterman and Anderson have been for us this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

The Bears started him a few games and despite throwing 300 yards multiple games  (as the announcers said 1000 times) he didn’t look that good. 

Capable backup type quarterback, surely zero starting potential would be my guess. Starting caliber quarterbacks are not free agents and let go from multiple teams and found in free agency. 

Maybe a team could miss, but no way multiple teams miss. 

I mean besides Kurt Warner and Tony Romo but what did they ever do

Barkley's shown some potential early in his career. People make too much of INTs from a young player. Those are often the mistakes you make when learning and adapting to the NFL, especially if you're taking chances and trying to win. Some guys learn from it and get better, some don't At this point he could go either way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not the new and improved Foster who can actually track a deep ball and catch it. 

Foster has been getting open all year, including early in the season.

His issue has been drops and very poorly thrown passes that are either out of bounds or beyond his reach. 

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

His issue has been drops and very poorly thrown passes that are either out of bounds or beyond his reach. 

He was dropped to the PS earlier in the season for the very reasons I cited in the post you responded to.   He had chances to make plays, but did not. 

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

My guess is that he wasn't sent to the PS because of poorly thrown balls....

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Barkley reminds me of Fitzy. Good catch Brandon Beane. Good catch indeed. Definitely a guy I'd keep around, I'd probably give him a few more starts. No need to compromise Allen. It's not time yet.

Fitz is much better than Barkley.  

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

Barkley's shown some potential early in his career. People make too much of INTs from a young player. Those are often the mistakes you make when learning and adapting to the NFL, especially if you're taking chances and trying to win. Some guys learn from it and get better, some don't At this point he could go either way.

His interceptions aren’t mistakes. They are because of poor physical skills.

Yes he's taken and has a gorgeous wife. In case your "friend" wants to know.

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

His interceptions aren’t mistakes. They are because of poor physical skills.

Poor decision making too. Ya just don't throw it when you can't see over Bosa mid release

I know he got a small sample of starts with Dah Bears & didn't do terrible but after watching him the other day in our game the guy has got a great arm !

With that i mean he showed awesome touch on some passes he was able to drop the ball in places where only or mostly our guy only had a chance to get it & had plenty of arm strength when he decided he needed to go long !

Also given basically the same amount of time to learn the offensive scheme as Anderson did he put more of it together than D.A. did which is probably there reason why A.D. has only 1 good year at QB & his win/loss % upon getting here was 27/21over his career .

Barkley was a awesome find & i hope they keep him around & it wouldn't hurt my feeling if he was the starter after the bye I know the plan is to go back to Allen he is definitely the future of the team unless he just can't get any better than what we have already seen but with Barkley i feel better if he doesn't do better & they need to let him go back to learning from the bench as originally planned !! 

21 hours ago, Jobot said:

Exactly this.  My take from watching the game is he's too aggressive for having a below average arm.  Yesterday's performance would be considered an outlier if he were to play this way over a longer stretch.

Throwing a WR open requires aggressive play IMO. It helps to have an aggressive WR on the other end that at the very least helps his QB out by disrupting the DB making a play for the football (on errant throws or in tight coverage) Barkley is seeing the field very well IMO, and seemed for one game anyway to fit nicely into what Daboll is trying to do on the football field. 

Myself personally, huge Josh Allen fan. On the other hand I'm an even bigger fan of my Buffalo Bills football team and Barkley made my team look to good to ignore. I also think Allen might learn a few things watching Barkley operate the Daboll Offense.

Edited by Figster