Matt Barkley (asking for a friend)

McBean

I like that he threw to a spot and let his receivers go after it. Maybe a teachable moment for the young Mr. Allen. However, that’s also a recipe for an interception disaster.  In fact, there were at least two interceptions that were dropped. 

Good attitude for a backup, but this method of winning is not sustainable. 

5 hours ago, Rico said:

Yeah, it’s obvious watching him yesterday that he doesn’t have a legit NFL arm. Still looked better though than EJ ever did.

Yep.  He doesn't have the arm, but seems to have a legit NFL head.   

I was very impressed with how well he saw the open receiver and made quick, decisive throws that were on time--not "pat, pat, pat, run around a bit, desperate heave" cluster-****'s like we've seen from too many Bills QBs in recent years...  

Barkley is good enough to win games with this defense. We have the best defense in the NFL and with Barkley as a QB can beat anyone on a good day with an adequate passing game, a very good running attack, and great defense. Allen makes the offense garbage. He is still to inexperienced to read defenses quickly.

Start Barkley until we lose again. And that could be a while. ?

42 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.  He doesn't have the arm, but seems to have a legit NFL head.   

I was very impressed with how well he saw the open receiver and made quick, decisive throws that were on time--not "pat, pat, pat, run around a bit, desperate heave" cluster-****'s like we've seen from too many Bills QBs in recent years...  

These kind of guys are teases. It’s better to hate him now before you’re forced to and then face palm yourself and scream WTF was I thinking into your bathroom mirror. 

5 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

There's a good chance Allen won't work out.

I agree he needs to play, but we've got to be prepared as a franchise for the possibility that Allen isn't the answer. The more QB's we kick the tires on, the better.

There's a good chance that he will work out and all you skeptics will have to shut your traps.  

I'm tired of all the clowns who think they're better at scouting than the Bills scouts & management who by all indications had a great 2018 draft.  

If you think you're that good at selecting players, put together a resume that an NFL team will look at and go work in the league.  Otherwise, show some faith in the current management and give their picks a chance.  They got the job because their qualifications are better than your qualifications-deal with it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

Barkley is good enough to win games with this defense. We have the best defense in the NFL and with Barkley as a QB can beat anyone on a good day with an adequate passing game, a very good running attack, and great defense. Allen makes the offense garbage. He is still to inexperienced to read defenses quickly.

Barkley, with yesterday, raised his td to int ratio to 10-18 and his qb rating to 63.

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There's a good chance that he will work out and all you skeptics will have to shut your traps.  

I'm tired of all the clowns who think they're better at scouting than the Bills scouts & management who by all indications had a great 2018 draft.  

If you think you're that good at selecting players, put together a resume that an NFL team will look at and go work in the league.  Otherwise, show some faith in the current management and give their picks a chance.  They got the job because their qualifications are better than your qualifications-deal with it.  

Haha.  This is the silliest argument ever.  While fans make plenty of mistakes, there are plenty of fans who could do better than the pros.  Look at Bill Polian’s son? How did his get his job? Hard work or his dad?  Rex Ryan’s son is the receivers coach for the Chargers.  Think he was just an amazing coaching talent or Anthony Lynn hired his friend’s kid?

6 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

He did well against the ***** Jets.

Let's not act like he tore up the 1985 Bears.

8 minutes ago, Kevin1778 said:

More hilarity from you. 

3 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I'm confused with the lack of arm strength crap.

Looked fine to me.  He was on the radio today and said a couple passes he put too much air under the pass.

In many cases too much air is a product of not enough arm to zip it in 

Just now, NoSaint said:

In many cases too much air is a product of not enough arm to zip it in 

There were guys wide open and a better ass might have been touchdowns in some cases.  Barkley played great for him but he is what he is.  I can’t imagine his arm in the wind at New Era.  But I think he bought him a shot at a backup job (still worse career numbers than EJ ?).

6 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Offensive line looked better b.c of Teller and the garbage team they were playing. 

Barkley had so much time to throw yesterday

Seems that many are going gaga over Barkley, but the Jets D can't compare to the Bears.  Yes, he had much more time than NP has ever had.  If the Jags were game planning for Barkley, I don't think the results would be impressive.  If Josh has an ugly game against Jags (and he probably will), everyone will be screaming for Barkley.  Josh is the future.  He needs the reps to get better.  While he needs to air it out like Barkley, he will not have the same time with the Jags.  The last 6 games will tell us a lot about Josh.  The Jags game will be tough for him, but he should impress against Miami, Jets, Detroit, and Patsies.

How did these WRs magically get “separation” yesterday? We converted 50% of 3rd Downs and kept the chains moving all day. Should have had 3 TD passes. How were the same guys that suck and never “get open” open all day? I mean, maybe if the QB knows what he’s looking at the guys are open? Maybe our WRs aren’t the problem all of the time? If we pick up right where we left off and rip off 30 against the Jags, maybe we are okay. If we go back to scoring 5-10 points every week again, maybe we open our minds a little bit about the QB position. I hope yesterday was just the beginning and we put up 35 a week with Allen. I guess we shall see

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

There were guys wide open and a better ass might have been touchdowns in some cases.  Barkley played great for him but he is what he is.  I can’t imagine his arm in the wind at New Era.  But I think he bought him a shot at a backup job (still worse career numbers than EJ ?).

There is the Andy Dalton line which is referred to as a baseline for average starting QB's.  Should we adopt the EJ line as the baseline for the average backup? 

8 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

How did these WRs magically get “separation” yesterday? We converted 50% of 3rd Downs and kept the chains moving all day. Should have had 3 TD passes. How were the same guys that suck and never “get open” open all day? I mean, maybe if the QB knows what he’s looking at the guys are open? Maybe our WRs aren’t the problem all of the time? If we pick up right where we left off and rip off 30 against the Jags, maybe we are okay. If we go back to scoring 5-10 points every week again, maybe we open our minds a little bit about the QB position. I hope yesterday was just the beginning and we put up 35 a week with Allen. I guess we shall see

The element of speed was added to the lineup with Foster and McKenzie that the Jets had to respect after the opening play.  That also opened up running lanes for <cCoy and Murphy.