Matt Barkley (asking for a friend)

McBean

2 hours ago, McBean said:

Let me begin by saying this was going to get cluttered in the “start Allen or Barkley” thread so I wanted to create this on it’s own.

Serious question I’m asking that I generally want to know...

Has Matt Barkley ever been given a real chance to be a starting NFL QB?

The year we drafted EJ I wanted us to take Barkley. He had a great collegiate career at a top program. He was the #1 overall high school quarterback in the nation and I believe he started as a freshman.

This is not an OVERREACTION. I’m just intrigued by him the more I look into this because showcasing what he did yesterday can’t just be ignored.

Would love to hear from you all that know more about him than me.

Thanks 

Throwing 8 TDs against 18 INTs doesn't warrant much of a chance...

Edited by matter2003

46 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s funny that I remember this particular game.  In 2013 EJ went 20-28 for 245 and 2 TDs with no INTs against the Jest. Good for  a 121.9 Passer Rating. Better stats than Barkley. Let’s not judge either him or Barkley on any one game.  Barkley might make a competent backup beyond this season. I’d sure take that, but it is still a stretch at this time. 

Stats are for losers, just like EJ. :)

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Before you get all “I told you so” on us, @Cripple Creek had Barkley on his radar well before his college days. You want info about Barkley or want to talk to someone who beat the perverbial “Barkley Drum” since 1992, talk to @Cripple Creek  

A drunkard’s dream if I ever did see one. 

• Haha (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Irrespective of the topic here, Barkely probably earned himself another 5-7 years as a backup in this league yesterday. 

He certainly looked viable yesterday, but he did get away with a couple of bad passes that easily could have been picks.   I hope he sticks to give the team a reliable mentor/spot starter who can fill in for Allen.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He certainly looked viable yesterday, but he did get away with a couple of bad passes that easily could have been picks.   I hope he sticks to give the team a reliable mentor/spot starter who can fll in for Allen.

Come on people!  Yes, he got away with a couple.  So does pretty much every starting QB in every game!  Give Barkley a break.  I'm amazed he even knew enough of the plays to run an entire game worth of offense.  It sure didn't look like a short leash to me.

Could Barkley have had a good game because there was no pressure? 

He could take chances downfield and play loose because if he failed, no one was going to blame him. This offensive roster "lacks talent," he only had six practices in the playbooks, etc. would have been used. It's a lot easier to let it sling when it really doesn't matter. 

28 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He certainly looked viable yesterday, but he did get away with a couple of bad passes that easily could have been picks.   I hope he sticks to give the team a reliable mentor/spot starter who can fll in for Allen.

With teams struggling to fill a starting role it's even harder to find a competent backup.   

Barkley probably would have been Bengals back up if he didn't get hurt in the preseason finale.   Another Bengals turn of events that helped Buffalo

3 hours ago, McBean said:

Let me begin by saying this was going to get cluttered in the “start Allen or Barkley” thread so I wanted to create this on it’s own.

Serious question I’m asking that I generally want to know...

Has Matt Barkley ever been given a real chance to be a starting NFL QB?

The year we drafted EJ I wanted us to take Barkley. He had a great collegiate career at a top program. He was the #1 overall high school quarterback in the nation and I believe he started as a freshman.

This is not an OVERREACTION. I’m just intrigued by him the more I look into this because showcasing what he did yesterday can’t just be ignored.

Would love to hear from you all that know more about him than me.

Thanks 

He completed 15 passes. It surely can be ignored in looking at his potential based on his overall career

10 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Barkley was excellent on Sunday. Pretty much a perfect game considering expectations.

But he could follow it up with a 5 interception game in his next start. That’s usually how this works.

It's pretty much the same if you haven't been bowling in years.  Your first game is great, but then muscle memory gives way to thinking too much and it's a mess.