Matt Barkley (asking for a friend)

McBean

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If he's a legit backup, that's still a nice addition. We need one.

No doubt. 

It's not a bad thing to find a viable backup QB in the middle of the season. Just trying to keep it in proper perspective. We've seen true garbage at QB and what kind of toll that takes on a team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Yesterday was 2 dropped INT away from being a very average to below average game. 

Exactly this.  My take from watching the game is he's too aggressive for having a below average arm.  Yesterday's performance would be considered an outlier if he were to play this way over a longer stretch.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Offensive line looked better b.c of Teller and the garbage team they were playing. 

Barkley had so much time to throw yesterday

You don't need to tell me about Teller.

Been a fan since the draft. Still, his decisiveness was a major factor in the lack of QB pressures.

Yesterday was a totally fun game with I was not expecting. But it was enjoyable in large part due to Barkley. I started watching half expecting a Peterman-type performance but was pleasantly surprised. Having said that, we cannot ignore his history and have to expect his performance will adjust downward. But it can still be good enough considering what we got out of Peterman and Anderson.

More broadly, though, I think McBeane accidentally stumbled and bumbled their way into an ideal situation for the QB stable for the long run. Allen as our franchise/starter, Barkley as backup and Anderson for the vet presence. Cut Nate asap

• Like (+1) 1

Guest K-GunJimKelly12

He took over for a bad Bears team in 2016 that was 2-8 when he took the reigns.  He played 6 games and although he went 1-5, there were a couple close losses and he threw for over 300 yards in 3 of those 6 games. 

He was the top QB recruit in the nation when he was a junior in high school and has the lifetime pedigree to play the QB position that few others have.  Despite his arm limitations, he is a guy that is going to be able to understand an run an offense they way the coaches want it to be run.  That can get you somewhere in this league.  He won't have any trouble understanding the offense and should be pretty good with the pre snap reads. 

I am not one of those guys that is going to say I think we found our QB, but I do think he is the perfect backup type to stick behind Allen.  He can step in and win games and if Allen fails, he may be good enough to take a respectable team around him to the playoffs and bridge the gap if we have to draft another QB high in the next couple of seasons.  As far as I'm concerned going into next season it should Allen as 1, Barkley as 2, probably sign another vet to bring into camp and draft another player with potential in the mid rounds if it is prudent. 

Edited by K-GunJimKelly12

29 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

He is a good BACKUP.

Which is something we didn't have before yesterday and team really needs. Ask the Eagles or SB XXV Giants or the El Perfecto Fish or The Greatest Show on Turf.

The kid had a great game. Best by any Bills QB BY FAR since Hotrod left town. He gives us the BEST chance to. beat Coach Moron.  Josh ain't going anywhere.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Which is something we didn't have before yesterday and team really needs. Ask the Eagles or SB DEV Giants or the El Perfecto Fish.

The kid had a great game. Best by any Bills QB BY FAR since Hotrod left town. He gives us the BEST chance to. beat Coach Moron.  Josh ain't going anywhere.

Lol with the season lost we might as well start Allen. Allen gives a better chance to win against the jags then Barkley ever will. Josh isnt learning on the sidelines he needs to play, we already know what Barkley is.

Edited by Boca BIlls
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boca BIlls said:

B.c Barkley is a backup QB.... Allen needs all the reps a young guy can get. 

I was specifically asking why you felt Allen gave us a better chance to win than Barkley ever could.

What has Josh Allen done as a professional QB to give you such confidence in that statement?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was specifically asking why you felt Allen gave us a better chance to win than Barkley ever could.

What has Josh Allen done as a professional QB to give you such confidence in that statement?

Josh never faced a team as bad as the Jets, yet he did what Barkley did against a good Minnesota team. Allen has a better arm than Barkley. 

Thankfully McDermott already said just now in his presser that Josh will be the starter.

3 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Josh never faced a team as bad as the Jets, yet he did what Barkley did against a good Minnesota team. Allen has a better arm than Barkley. 

Thankfully McDermott already said just now in his presser that Josh will be the starter.

There's a good chance Allen won't work out.

I agree he needs to play, but we've got to be prepared as a franchise for the possibility that Allen isn't the answer. The more QB's we kick the tires on, the better.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

There's a good chance Allen won't work out.

I agree he needs to play, but we've got to be prepared as a franchise for the possibility that Allen isn't the answer. The more QB's we kick the tires on, the better.

You need to draft another QB then... Barkley is not the answer which is who we are talking about so moot point in Allen either being the guy or not.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Before you get all “I told you so” on us, @Cripple Creek had Barkley on his radar well before his college days. You want info about Barkley or want to talk to someone who beat the perverbial “Barkley Drum” since 1992, talk to @Cripple Creek  

What? Did they date in high school or something? 

55 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yeah, it’s obvious watching him yesterday that he doesn’t have a legit NFL arm. Still looked better though than EJ ever did.

It’s funny that I remember this particular game.  In 2013 EJ went 20-28 for 245 and 2 TDs with no INTs against the Jest. Good for  a 121.9 Passer Rating. Better stats than Barkley. Let’s not judge either him or Barkley on any one game.  Barkley might make a competent backup beyond this season. I’d sure take that, but it is still a stretch at this time. 

26 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

It’s funny that I remember this particular game.  In 2013 EJ went 20-28 for 245 and 2 TDs with no INTs against the Jest. Good for  a 121.9 Passer Rating. Better stats than Barkley. Let’s not judge either him or Barkley on any one game.  Barkley might make a competent backup beyond this season. I’d sure take that, but it is still a stretch at this time. 

Well said.

If the Bills are seriously considering keeping Barkley as a long term backup I would not mind them starting him 1 more time.

I want JA to get reps too but if they want to "lock up" Barkley for say a 2 year contract another look may be prudent.

• Like (+1) 1

SO here is a player that was on no roster...and all of a sudden, the Bills have found their backup!

This board is lame!

And I admit, I have no idea about Barkley.  But this board gets excited for the smallest things.  that is how bad we have been for so long.