Wild eyed optimist moment

RochesterRob

Just looking at the AFC standings.   We have two games to play against the second place Dolphins who are only two games ahead of us.  Baltimore who owns a tie breaker is only a game and a half ahead.  Titans who we own a tie breaker with looks to be firmly in second place in the South.  Dark shadow in the silver lining is the Chargers are firmly in second place in the West and uncatchable at this point unless they collapse.  Certainly a mountain of work ahead for the Bills and no guarantees of anything but until I looked I expected more gloomy news.  With a decent chance at the second Wild Card do we just throw in the towel on playing for today?  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Just looking at the AFC standings.   We have two games to play against the second place Dolphins who are only two games ahead of us.  Baltimore who owns a tie breaker is only a game and a half ahead.  Titans who we own a tie breaker with looks to be firmly in second place in the South.  Dark shadow in the silver lining is the Chargers are firmly in second place in the West and uncatchable at this point unless they collapse.  Certainly a mountain of work ahead for the Bills and no guarantees of anything but until I looked I expected more gloomy news.  With a decent chance at the second Wild Card do we just throw in the towel on playing for today?  

"decent chance"

3 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

They beat the jets dude :)  Better than losing (unless you are a "tanker"), but not exactly a superbowl indicator :)

Nobody said Super Bowl or easy to do.  Just get into the playoffs.  Competent QB play would tell us the state of the rest of the offense.  Maybe Allen will surprise when he is reinstalled but I am not holding my breath on that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I’d be far happier if Allen looked like The Guy for the rest of the year than if we snuck into a wild card. 

I'd be happy if we did both.  But the point of the thread is until I looked at the standings this morning I had not given much thought to the AFC playoff picture.  I just assumed it was down right impossible and I am not kidding myself.  It is going to take a lot of work and luck to make it happen.  

3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I'd be happy if we did both.  But the point of the thread is until I looked at the standings this morning I had not given much thought to the AFC playoff picture.  I just assumed it was down right impossible and I am not kidding myself.  It is going to take a lot of work and luck to make it happen.  

Lots of work, and LOTS of luck. Of course, you never know which Bills team will show up from week to week! 

GO JOSH! 

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Assume you're right and they somehow get to 8-8 or 9-7.  Is that really want you want?  Highly unlikely they will get anywhere close to #1 overall, but would be happy with a top 10 pick which typically translates to 5 maybe 6 wins.  I'd be happier with that.

1 minute ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Assume you're right and they somehow get to 8-8 or 9-7.  Is that really want you want?  Highly unlikely they will get anywhere close to #1 overall, but would be happy with a top 10 pick which typically translates to 5 maybe 6 wins.  I'd be happier with that.

We would get to 8-8 or 9-7 because we would not be as bad as we thought we were.  No guarantees of a high pick hitting.

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

Nope

Just now, Skins Malone said:

I'll just be happy if our offense can continue to improve.

This, of course, but it's going to chap our collective ***** if the Bills miss the playoffs by a game and we all sit around remembering the Houston game (or others!) where our Buffalo Bills grasped defeat from the jaws of victory

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

This, of course, but it's going to chap our collective ***** if the Bills miss the playoffs by a game and we all sit around remembering the Houston game (or others!) where our Buffalo Bills grasped defeat from the jaws of victory

I just need to see more.  Our offense has been terrible up until yesterday.  Was it a fluke...I don't know.  

1 minute ago, Skins Malone said:

I just need to see more.  Our offense has been terrible up until yesterday.  Was it a fluke...I don't know.  

who knows!  this is the least predictable Bills team i can remember.  I would have bet $5000 against them yesterday, but because I'm not a complete moron, i didn't

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, dorquemada said:

who knows!  this is the least predictable Bills team i can remember.  I would have bet $5000 against them yesterday, but because I'm not a complete moron, i didn't

Tell me about.  I was not expecting that yesterday.  At least not that kind of dominance.  Every facet of the game was clicking for the Bills

To make the playoffs the Bills are going to have to run the table to get to 9-7 which with 6 games left (including one against the Pats) just isn't likely to happen. Even if the Bills go 5-1 and get to 8-8 (which is unlikely) that's not likely to get you into the playoffs. I think the Bills split the Fish games, lose to the Pats, split the Lions and Jags games, and likely beat the Jets again. 

Pending on if they sweep the Jets the team will finish 5-11 or 6-10. Don't be a prisoner of the moment because they curb stomped a poor team that came out flat. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

To make the playoffs the Bills are going to have to run the table to get to 9-7 which with 6 games left (including one against the Pats) just isn't likely to happen. Even if the Bills go 5-1 and get to 8-8 (which is unlikely) that's not likely to get you into the playoffs. I think the Bills split the Fish games, lose to the Pats, split the Lions and Jags games, and likely beat the Jets again. 

Pending on if they sweep the Jets the team will finish 5-11 or 6-10. Don't be a prisoner of the moment because they curb stomped a poor team that came out flat. 

I bet you cheered for darth vadar at the end of Star Wars

• Haha (+1) 1