Wyatt Teller: Pancake Papi

23 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

This kid is good. I'm glad he's finally getting burn. The Panthers found a steal in Andrew Norwell a few years ago and that's who Wyatt Teller reminds me of. You can take LG off the draft board if he has a good finish to the season.

Definitely- hopefully we see the same over the course of the next 6 games. Center is a position of need wether fa or draft.

20 hours ago, K-9 said:

Outstanding debut as a starter to say the least. It helped that the offense was in manageable down/distance most of the game and the defense had to respect that. 

Not sure I understand the criticism for not starting him earlier. While his run blocking has always been strong, he was a mess in pass protection in preseason and it was obvious he needed work in that area. And the shear amount of learning and playbook study required for an OLman, especially for rookies, is a lot to absorb as well. Looks like his technique has improved greatly; certainly enough to earn the coaches' confidence moving forward. As much as we want to castigate Castillo, his work with Teller and the improvement seen would suggest he's not as clueless a coach as we might think. 

Nice post. This pretty much explains why it was 10 games before the kid got a shot. Even the highest rated college OL prospects face a pretty steep learning curve coming into the NFL just because college offenses rarely, if ever, require their OL to put their hand in the dirt. And things in college schemes are so simplified so teams can play at a fast pace. I know over the summer his biggest issue was reading the fronts and executing the correct protections. Only once did the interior OL look like it did earlier in the season and that was the one sack they gave up. Other than that, the OL overall has done a lot better, especially with pass pro and finally last Sunday they opened things up for Shady. 

It's one game but I hope the kid continues to improve. After his sophomore and junior years he was talked up as a 2nd-3rd round pick, coaching and scheme changes caused his play to drop in his senior year but the tools are clearly there so here's hoping. 

• Like (+1) 1

I heard Chris Brown say that "Now" at 2 & 7 the shake up on the line had to happen ! It should have happened closer to the beginning of the year this guy was sitting there the entire time & could have & more than likely would have made a difference on the line to this point ! 

I still hope this off season they get rid of Juan (Not Impressed) but this is definitely a step in the right direction & think that even with what they say that the O line needs to work together to come together if like McD said at the beginning of the year

"if your not doing your job or your underachieving on the field you will be on the bench" a couple of the players should have been gone long ago & the younger guys should have been put in especially seeing as Mills & Ducasse have played under what they have needed to !! 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

Nice post. This pretty much explains why it was 10 games before the kid got a shot. Even the highest rated college OL prospects face a pretty steep learning curve coming into the NFL just because college offenses rarely, if ever, require their OL to put their hand in the dirt. And things in college schemes are so simplified so teams can play at a fast pace. I know over the summer his biggest issue was reading the fronts and executing the correct protections. Only once did the interior OL look like it did earlier in the season and that was the one sack they gave up. Other than that, the OL overall has done a lot better, especially with pass pro and finally last Sunday they opened things up for Shady. 

It's one game but I hope the kid continues to improve. After his sophomore and junior years he was talked up as a 2nd-3rd round pick, coaching and scheme changes caused his play to drop in his senior year but the tools are clearly there so here's hoping. 

You basically just outed yourself as someone who never watched him play in college. Again, those of us who have season tickets to VT and watched every snap the kid took can tell you that his play did not "drop off" his senior year. He was the highest rated guard in the ACC and didn't allow a single sack. And, the "college guys don't put their hands in the ground" stuff is just nonsense. My sense is Wyatt may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, so learning the pro game may have taken him a bit longer than others. But, the other stuff just isn't true.

21 hours ago, K-9 said:

He was a disaster in pass protection in the preseason, both in games and in camp. That combined with the sheer amount of playbook digestion required of a rookie OLman and it's perfectly understandable why it took him a while to be inserted into the lineup. 

Just watched a few 1st Q series on All-22.  He's a beast in run blocking, but still needs work on pass protect.  He got beat cleanly on a few snaps and luckily for him Barkley got the ball out quickly.  Will be a different story with Allen who tends to hold on a bit longer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GG said:

Just watched a few 1st Q series on All-22.  He's a beast in run blocking, but still needs work on pass protect.  He got beat cleanly on a few snaps and luckily for him Barkley got the ball out quickly.  Will be a different story with Allen who tends to hold on a bit longer.

Good point. Especially with that Jax front upcoming. 

10 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

yeah, and reuben probably holds the record for holding flags for that position too.......sincerely,  andy livitre...

That first game might have been the peak of Ruben's career...........and he had an outstanding career.........he was superior in that game........Michael Dean Perry was basically the equivalent of a prime Geno Atkins at that time and Ruben destroyed him.     Teller wasn't nearly that good but he was a standout for sure.    Levitre's first game was significant though.....because I believe the Bills fielded the least experienced OL to start a game in the NFL since the merger that day or something like that.