Wyatt Teller: Pancake Papi

As a Virginia Tech season ticket holder, I can tell you Teller absolutely dominated guys in college. Kid is a nasty run blocker. He plays like you just slapped his mother. He was VT's best offensive lineman by far the past couple of seasons and was arguably the best guard in the ACC over that span. Not sure why he lasted until the 5th round. Glad to see him finally start and do well in his debut.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

Dawkins/Teller should be set for the next 8 years on the left side of the O-line. Unfortunately we need starters at the other 3 positions.

Patience grasshopper.  That's what part of the $90M in cap room will go towards next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

Teller seemed to have a really good preseason, so I've been hoping they would let him play. Good to see that they finally gave him a shot and that he played well. It would be a huge boost if next off-season we don't have to address starting LG.

He was rock solid in the preseason,our 2nd line/offense put up the most points out of the three units.He did allow a sack...other than that...straight up stud.

44 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I disagree that he was a disaster in pass protection he had a handful of plays where he missed assignments (like ANY of our guards were actually looking good)

One thing he always did since he hit the bills ground running was own ppl in run blocking....I present that he was no worse then either Decausse or Miller and he could have used the previous games of this season to improve his game under live fire......

Its fine.....we were not doing anything this year and he is now on the field.....I am happy because we have him for a while.....now they need to improve the rest of the OL

Well, we will have to agree to disagree as I think there’s a vast difference between missing an assignment vs. being manhandled and/or outfinessed when attempting to pass protect. I don’t fault the coaches at all for giving him some time to learn the game a bit and develop before playing him.

Moot point a anyway as he has earned the coaches trust and is now in the lineup.

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I disagree that he was a disaster in pass protection he had a handful of plays where he missed assignments (like ANY of our guards were actually looking good)

One thing he always did since he hit the bills ground running was own ppl in run blocking....I present that he was no worse then either Decausse or Miller and he could have used the previous games of this season to improve his game under live fire......

Its fine.....we were not doing anything this year and he is now on the field.....I am happy because we have him for a while.....now they need to improve the rest of the OL

Teller can ball.

2 hours ago, October 1918 said:

As a Virginia Tech season ticket holder, I can tell you Teller absolutely dominated guys in college. Kid is a nasty run blocker. He plays like you just slapped his mother. He was VT's best offensive lineman by far the past couple of seasons and was arguably the best guard in the ACC over that span. Not sure why he lasted until the 5th round. Glad to see him finally start and do well in his debut.

Read that he didn’t have a good senior year, bit of a work ethic/laziness  issue on field 

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Read that he didn’t have a good senior year, bit of a work ethic/laziness  issue on field 

I seem to recall it was an issue with some new coaching? Just not a good match. Someone here has all the details. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He got in the coach's doghouse (something off the field or at practice) last season but never showed less than 100% during games. Given that guys are getting kicked off the team and transferring left-and-right this season at Virginia Tech, I'm not sure Wyatt did anything all that serious (i.e., everyone seems to be getting in Coach Fuente's doghouse).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He had some disagreements with Fuente during the spring. Both were at fault, to an extent, but Fuente had him in his doghouse to start the year. Of course he still got meaningful snaps in the very first game because he was better than his replacement, but Fuente got his point across.

Also, his stats and play were still very good his senior year, just less flashy plays and pancakes. I don't know what the scouts missed, but he is without a doubt the best O Lineman I had the pleasure of watching at VT aside from Duane Brown.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I seem to recall it was an issue with some new coaching? Just not a good match. Someone here has all the details. 

His new coach thought he was playing too aggressive and might cause penalties so asked him to modify his play and it took a bit of time to adjust but then he was back to player he was.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He had some disagreements with Fuente during the spring. Both were at fault, to an extent, but Fuente had him in his doghouse to start the year. Of course he still got meaningful snaps in the very first game because he was better than his replacement, but Fuente got his point across.

Also, his stats and play were still very good his senior year, just less flashy plays and pancakes. I don't know what the scouts missed, but he is without a doubt the best O Lineman I had the pleasure of watching at VT aside from Duane Brown.

I read that he has ADHD and takes a medication, adderal, to deal with the issue. He was also a workout warrior so his work ethic was evident. Maybe that was a factor in him sliding on the draft boards. The draft publications that I read prior to the draft had him rated as a third round prospect. So it was surprising that he slid to the fifth. Getting Milano and him in a lower round are steals for this franchise. 

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

His new coach thought he was playing too aggressive and might cause penalties so asked him to modify his play and it took a bit of time to adjust but then he was back to player he was.

I’d rather have to tell a player to dial it back than have to tell him it dial it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

IMO the best looking first game by a Bills rookie interior O-lineman since Ruben Brown manhandled Michael Dean Perry in his debut in the opener at Denver in 1995.

yeah, and reuben probably holds the record for holding flags for that position too.......sincerely,  andy livitre...

Edited by billsredneck1

Lesson learned  - when our offensive line wins the battles we (QB & RB & WR) all do better  - we will face better defensive lines  - top priority in our draft has to be  top off lineman in rd 1 and another in rd2   - enough of the WR talk in rd1