Comments about Nathan Peterman being a "good guy"

11 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

On the radio—whether it be Sal Capacchio, Steve Tasker, Bulldog, or guests on various shows—we often hear Nathan Peterman described as a "good guy," and it closely follows that he is a "person of faith." Why is being a person of faith synonymous with being a good guy? Is the implication that NOT being a person of faith makes one less of a good guy?

Does Nathan Peterman's individual religious choice make him a "good guy" in our society? Does this speak to a societal bias towards Christianity?

This is more than you bargained for I’m sure. When you say “ good guy” that can be defined a million ways because it depends on individual perception! One man thinks one way ,another may or may not. Even faith can be defined differently depending on what or who you have faith in. Faith is generally taken as being religious by most people. Which is wrongly associated with being a good person. In fact every faith in the world with the exception of faith in Jesus Christ is how man can do good things or live a good life to get to heaven. Jesus CLEARLY said that NO man can be good enough to be worthy of God. That the only way to God is faith in him. Not by doing the good things that are good in man’s eyes. Basically in accepting Christ, His righteousness will cover the person that has faith in Him! Another words is you get to heaven by Him not yourself!!

What does this have to do with Peterman? I don’t know what he has faith in. I don’t know about McDermott and Beane either. Simply saying you know God and doing good things doesn’t cut it. When a person makes a profession of faith in Christ they are called to live a life that is in His example. Impossible to do completely because we are still not perfect. But in most cases the change is dramatic! I’ve seen it and lived it. But I’m still not perfect or worthy. Peterman lives out his faith at least as far as I can tell. So does McDermott and I do think that it does matter to him some in as far as character goes. For true believers they do try to follow Christ at least generally but I’ve unfortunately seen some exceptions AND have unfortunately done some myself. But I’m still covered. Even though I don’t deserve it! 

Is this the way to build a team? It’s McDermotts way to some extent. I would say that Petermans individual choice does not make him a good guy to the world but his faith if in Christ does make him one to God.  A true Christian doesn’t consider themselves to be a good guy only forgiven! I don’t think there is a bias toward Christians. True followers are usually ridiculed. Usually there are one of two reactions. Disgust or total apathy! Just check out the comments concerning Tebow. He does clearly claim Christ!

This is way more than you wanted but it’s the only way to explain why being a good guy doesn’t mean much.

Anyway as I’m typing this I got the notification that Peterman has been released! So maybe your dilemma is over

5 hours ago, Bring it said:

Usually there are one of two reactions. Disgust or total apathy! 

Professional sports should have total apathy regarding your religion. In fact if they don't it's a heck of an HR case.

And it's pretty easy to know he's a "good guy" disregarding his religion. Is he a nice person? Again that's literally all an employer should check off.

16 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

This goes back also to Pegula describing McDermott as a "faith-based leader." Using that as a selling point for a coach of a football team seems really strange.

Mark Jackson was a faith-based leader when coaching the Golden State Warriors and also a preacher for a church in LA.  That was fine for players like Steph Curry but other players didn't like his prayers in the locker room and encouraging the players to join him at church.  It became divisive. I haven't heard of this bring an issue with the Bills.

3 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Mark Jackson was a faith-based leader when coaching the Golden State Warriors and also a preacher for a church in LA.  That was fine for players like Steph Curry but other players didn't like his prayers in the locker room and encouraging the players to join him at church.  It became divisive. I haven't heard of this bring an issue with the Bills.

I haven’t heard of that being an issue either. It shouldn’t become one IMO. I can tell people if there are questions but I don’t force anything. How does anyone make someone believe in something? They can’t! It’s an individual choice.

It also shouldn’t become the reason a person has a job. Peterman clearly wasn’t ready for the NFL. He probably will never be.

I am sure it did become divisive! But that’s nothing I haven’t seen or experienced before. Jesus either gives one hope or is totally insulting!

9 hours ago, LittleJoeCartwright said:

Which makes him a great guy too, who hasn't gotten a coaching job since.