Comments about Nathan Peterman being a "good guy"

No offense to any people of faith reading this, but it sort of creeps me out when these high profile sportsmen always talk about God and Jesus so much. Like when the Rams won the Super Bowl and the first thing Warner said when he received the trophy was "thank you, Jesus!" 

There's something odd to me about the belief that the Almighty chose you to win and the other guys to lose. What the hell did they do to tick Jesus off so much? 

I'll get flamed for this but I always wince now when Jim Kelly keeps talking about Jesus. I understand he's been through some terrible times with his son and his illness and religion is great for helping people through those kinds of things, but when people suddenly 'find' God they can't help but tell you about it every five minutes. It's like when people find veganism and then insist on telling everyone they meet "by the way, I'm vegan". 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

I noticed THAT as well. Never being around Allen when he came off the field. There is quite a bit of speculation involved in this as we don't really know what's going on inside the room, but the body language yesterday was pretty obvious to my untrained eye.

I get it. You're upset. It's gotta be frustrating. That doesn't excuse being a poor teammate. You suck it up and support your teammates at the very least. 

It's best for Nate, the Bills and Bills fans that he move on.  No matter how one feels about Nate's ability, it's simply best for everyone involved that he pursue his dream in another city. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The is a social bias against Christianity but you don't believe that so carry on .

I'm not religious myself but I do agree people are allowed to say whatever they want about Christianity, whereas if similar things were said about so-called minority religions they would lose their job in a second. In this respect I sort of feel sorry for Christians who just go about their business and show up to church every Sunday but have to sit tight while people ridicule them

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I won't use it to say whether he's a good human being or not...but I definitely have questions as to whether Peterman is a good teammate or not.

That Hail Mary play last week where he took off running out of bounds was one of the most gutless plays I've ever seen in the NFL. Did he think someone was going to be wide open on that play? There's a reason why it's called a Hail Mary.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's smarter than that. However...that lends to the very good possibility that he didn't want to risk another interception being on his stat sheet. That he didn't want to risk having an interception in his name even if the reward could have been helping out his team, no matter how small the percentage was for that to happen.

That doesn't sound like a very good teammate. Really, it doesn't even sound like the Christian thing to do. 

...intended pun??....hoping for some "divine intervention" probably..............

Faith and football are not incompatible. In fact a lot of the greatest coaches are highly religious 

Having Faith , believing without seeing , is very hard for a lot to do. Having steadfast faith throughout a lifetime is very challenging. There are lots of ups and downs, questions, and questioning yourself 

its a lot like being a football coach or player or on a team that is constantly being challenged from all sides... whether from the media or fans or pundits .

there are lots of ups and downs, days you Question yourself or the people around you and you need to have the faith to stick to your plan as that’s the reason you made It this far

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Faith and football are not incompatible. In fact a lot of the greatest coaches are highly religious 

Having Faith , believing without seeing , is very hard for a lot to do. Having steadfast faith throughout a lifetime is very challenging. There are lots of ups and downs, questions, and questioning yourself 

its a lot like being a football coach or player or on a team that is constantly being challenged from all sides... whether from the media or fans or pundits .

there are lots of ups and downs, days you Question yourself or the people around you and you need to have the faith to stick to your plan as that’s the reason you made It this far

...PERFECTLY stated my friend......the lines are somewhat blurred IMO.....a player "believing in his abilities" or being drafted as "believing in an opportunity" are NOT necessarily "faith based".....because at the end of the day, your "performance on the football field" is all that matters or you may be in DISBELIEF when you're out of football.......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...PERFECTLY stated my friend......the lines are somewhat blurred IMO.....a player "believing in his abilities" or being drafted as "believing in an opportunity" are NOT necessarily "faith based".....because at the end of the day, your "performance on the football field" is all that matters or you may be in DISBELIEF when you're out of football.......

I never stated what type of faith you need to have ... FAITH in your abilities is ALWAYS key for an athlete 

self confidence can be a cure

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

On the radio—whether it be Sal Capacchio, Steve Tasker, Bulldog, or guests on various shows—we often hear Nathan Peterman described as a "good guy," and it closely follows that he is a "person of faith." Why is being a person of faith synonymous with being a good guy? Is the implication that NOT being a person of faith makes one less of a good guy?

Does Nathan Peterman's individual religious choice make him a "good guy" in our society? Does this speak to a societal bias towards Christianity?

Quit being a clown and trying to stir ***** up.

hey I'm a (or so I'm told anyway) good guy but I'm not going to keep a job I'm not qualified for just because I am.

the kid has a college education and I'm sure there are jobs out there he'll qualify for and do well at as long as it doesn't involve throwing.

no hard feelings nate, but you gotta go. as far as religion, I don't go there.

Edited by no name

9 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

This goes back also to Pegula describing McDermott as a "faith-based leader." Using that as a selling point for a coach of a football team seems really strange.

I’ll tell you what it is: 

it’s all a conspiracy among the Jesus people to force you to pray and go to church.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The is a social bias against Christianity but you don't believe that so carry on .

It's actually the opposite. 

Faith or lack thereof has no place in a professional organization.

If the Bills are slighting players for their personal views on Christianity, one way or the other, it's a problem. There is no evidence to suggest some sort of litmus test, but if there were, that would be a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I'm not religious myself but I do agree people are allowed to say whatever they want about Christianity, whereas if similar things were said about so-called minority religions they would lose their job in a second. In this respect I sort of feel sorry for Christians who just go about their business and show up to church every Sunday but have to sit tight while people ridicule them

It's also more acceptable for a fat chick to make fun of a skinny chick than vice versa.

A disadvantage of privilege if you will. 

I never assumed that calling Peterman a good guy was a result of his being a Christian. Lot of people are good guys. 

And I never assume that because somebody is a Christian he is automatically a good guy. Lots of Christians are not good guys. 

Edited by Dr. K
  • Like (+1) 1