Comments about Nathan Peterman being a "good guy"

6 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I'm just trying to understand what you're saying...

But if you do a lot of work in the community with charitable organizations...you're doing something to earn that label of being a good person. 

I think the question here is does being religious automatically earn that label for some people? You hear around here all the time about how good a person Peterman is. We don't really hear that for other players who have struggled. I didn't hear it about Robert Foster earlier this season, or Phillip Gaines.

I will also correlate this with being white...but that good guy label seems to be thrown around pretty easily if you're outspoken about religion. 

It is not that difficult to understand what I wrote. If you conduct yourself in ways that cause others to describe you as a good person, haven't you earned that label of being a good person? Just because that conduct is, in part, a manifestation of your faith, why does it beg greater questions? Why does it, somehow, generate negative connotations? There are many things people use to justify their description of someone as a good person. My point was that if any of those other qualifiers (such as my example of charitable work) were used in relation to Peterman's description as a good guy, we probably would not be posting in a thread about it.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

The question is really, when we hear that Peterman is a good guy, why is the first evidence of that often, "He's a person of faith?" Even teammates say this -- "he's very religious" I believe I remember Zay Jones saying, as if it's something that guys respect more than someone who is not religious.

You know why.  It's age old in this country that people of faith, having that label, are somehow better than those without it.  I think McD puts a lot of stock in faith as well knowing guys have the same makeup as himself to a degree.

As a person without faith, I have served our country for 11 years and now currently work for the government in an even more public role to help people.  You don't need faith to be an implied good person.

Yet people with faith will gravitate toward those who have it knowing they have that in common.  Is it right? Yes and no TBH.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Bills Blog said:

On the radio—whether it be Sal Capacchio, Steve Tasker, Bulldog, or guests on various shows—we often hear Nathan Peterman described as a "good guy," and it closely follows that he is a "person of faith." Why is being a person of faith synonymous with being a good guy? Is the implication that NOT being a person of faith makes one less of a good guy?

Does Nathan Peterman's individual religious choice make him a "good guy" in our society? Does this speak to a societal bias towards Christianity?

Stop trying to stir up *****.  The people who say he is a good guy obviously believe it and respect him.  If they further believe that this true because he is a person of faith that is also their opinion.

STOP trying to take individual peoples opinion and apply it all.   STOP trying to create a problem on a sports board.  Are you just trying to turn this into a white, male, Christian thing?  Don't you get enough of this kind of stupid talk from the mass media news and now you have to bring it to the Bills board?    

Sensible people know people of other races and faiths that are great people too.   Grow up and think for yourself.  

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Nobody's saying they aren't allowed to. What's being questioned is if there is a societal bias towards those that do. 

He's white and Christian, that'll go a long way with a lot of people.

I've thought for a while now that this is a big reason why Peterman's still here. Even though you can point to cold, hard facts about there being absolutely no other reason why he's survived this long on the team, many here will just try to brush it off. 

I think there aren't 'cold hard facts' about 'absolutely no other reason'.  I think another reason was mention by Beane in interviews this spring/summer: evidently he was quick to pick up Daboll's offense and to understand it (in a meeting room) thoroughly.  We all also saw that he did very well in camp and against "vanilla", non-deceptive defenses in pre-season.

So the conclusion from the available cold, hard facts would be that Daboll, McDermott, and Beane overvalued or mis-valued theoretical understanding of the offense shown in meeting rooms, and overvalued or mis-valued ability to succeed against vanilla defenses

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think there aren't 'cold hard facts' about 'absolutely no other reason'.  I think another reason was mention by Beane in interviews this spring/summer: evidently he was quick to pick up Daboll's offense and to understand it (in a meeting room) thoroughly.  We all also saw that he did very well in camp and against "vanilla", non-deceptive defenses in pre-season.

So the conclusion from the available cold, hard facts would be that Daboll, McDermott, and Beane overvalued or mis-valued theoretical understanding of the offense shown in meeting rooms, and overvalued or mis-valued ability to succeed against vanilla defenses

Are you saying a football coach made an evaluation mistake?  Doesn't it just make more sense that he is really conspiring to make atheists feel bad?

1 hour ago, buffalobillswin said:

I just assumed "good guy" is a way to compliment a terrible player who has no business being in the league and has no good football qualities. So you just say he's a good guy as a way to say something nice about him. 

Exactly.

Reminds me of when my high school buddy started dating this .... less-than-attractive girl.  We're hanging out at his house and he asked his mom what she thought of his new girlfriend.  After a few seconds of thought, his mom said, "Well .... she has nice hair!!"

Peterman has nice hair.

• Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

This goes back also to Pegula describing McDermott as a "faith-based leader." Using that as a selling point for a coach of a football team seems really strange.

When you make billions of dollars and buy a sports team, presumably you can use whatever criteria you want to hire the coach of your team.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Are you saying a football coach made an evaluation mistake?  Doesn't it just make more sense that he is really conspiring to make atheists feel bad?

I'm saying at least two, maybe 3, football coaches AND A GM made a football evaluation mistake.

I think there's "faith" involved here all right, but the "faith" is mine, in their ability to make good player evaluations.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm saying at least two, maybe 3, football coaches AND A GM made a football evaluation mistake.

I think there's "faith" involved here all right, but the "faith" is mine, in their ability to make good player evaluations.

Occum's Shaver says they are out to get atheists.

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

On the radio—whether it be Sal Capacchio, Steve Tasker, Bulldog, or guests on various shows—we often hear Nathan Peterman described as a "good guy," and it closely follows that he is a "person of faith." Why is being a person of faith synonymous with being a good guy? Is the implication that NOT being a person of faith makes one less of a good guy?

Does Nathan Peterman's individual religious choice make him a "good guy" in our society? Does this speak to a societal bias towards Christianity?

Troll

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JinxedBill1 said:

You know why.  It's age old in this country that people of faith, having that label, are somehow better than those without it.  I think McD puts a lot of stock in faith as well knowing guys have the same makeup as himself to a degree.

As a person without faith, I have served our country for 11 years and now currently work for the government in an even more public role to help people.  You don't need faith to be an implied good person.

Yet people with faith will gravitate toward those who have it knowing they have that in common.  Is it right? Yes and no TBH.

And there's the issue and the Bills heirarchy continually makes you wonder how much faith comes into their decision making when choosing players. 

I want good character guys.  Faith shouldn't factor in at all, but seems to inordantently be a criteria with the Bills.  

This is the NFL, not Notre Dame, SMU.....   

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And there's the issue and the Bills heirarchy continually makes you wonder how much faith comes into their decision making when choosing players. 

I want good character guys.  Faith shouldn't factor in at all, but seems to inordantently be a criteria with the Bills.  

This is the NFL, not Notre Dame, SMU.....   

this is nonsense and completely untrue.  prove it if you're going to throw it out there.  drama.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Bills Blog said:

People said the same thing about Kay Stephenson especially in the 1984 (2-14) season..."he's such a nice guy" was heard over and over until he got canned in 1985 after going 0-4.

7 minutes ago, teef said:

this is nonsense and completely untrue.  prove it if you're going to throw it out there.  drama.

Faith is brought up too much talking about the Bills (or is it just Nate).  Is this a fact or not (very serious)?

"Faith based leader" too gives me reason to pause.