Comments about Nathan Peterman being a "good guy"

On the radio—whether it be Sal Capacchio, Steve Tasker, Bulldog, or guests on various shows—we often hear Nathan Peterman described as a "good guy," and it closely follows that he is a "person of faith." Why is being a person of faith synonymous with being a good guy? Is the implication that NOT being a person of faith makes one less of a good guy?

Does Nathan Peterman's individual religious choice make him a "good guy" in our society? Does this speak to a societal bias towards Christianity?

Edited by The Bills Blog
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I believe they were just building a case for their outlook toward Peterman.   I am a person of faith,  and maybe that helps motivate me to try to be a better person, but I know many nice people who are not people of faith. 

If there is a social bias regarding Christians, it is becoming a negative. Christians are stereotyped as being smug, homophobic, ultra conservative,  and narrow minded.   That is not the case with most people of faith that I know.   Most are just flawed people searching for answers.

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

wow...of all the things going in with  the Bills, we complain about a player being considered 'a good guy"? I dont think anyone is saying a being person of faith makes you a better person than some one who is not...I dont care what their "faith" is",but i do appreciate character, work ethic, unselfishness,etc.

• Like (+1) 2

The question is really, when we hear that Peterman is a good guy, why is the first evidence of that often, "He's a person of faith?" Even teammates say this -- "he's very religious" I believe I remember Zay Jones saying, as if it's something that guys respect more than someone who is not religious.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

On the radio—whether it be Sal Capacchio, Steve Tasker, Bulldog, or guests on various shows—we often hear Nathan Peterman described as a "good guy," and it closely follows that he is a "person of faith." Why is being a person of faith synonymous with being a good guy? Is the implication that NOT being a person of faith makes one less of a good guy?

Does Nathan Peterman's individual religious choice make him a "good guy" in our society? Does this speak to a societal bias towards Christianity?

Yes I think so. Safe to say Tebow was a "good guy" with strong faith. He certainly was subjected to a ton of ridicule as is Peterman. The only thing that should matter is "between the stripes" period.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

Synonymous means not having to say something twice.  So if they said good guy, and person of faith, those things by definition are not synonymous to whoever spoke them.  It doesn't mean Sal thinks they are opposites, just not "the same".

My take on Peterman being called a good guy is simply some trying to give him a break as a human being.  He is not an NFL caliber QB at this point and probably never will be.  That doesn't change the fact that circumstances beyond his control thrust him into a situation where he failed.  He simply does not deserve the level of mockery and vitriol he has received.  

Religious or atheist, Peterman has earned no vitriol from anyone.  Mockery?  Maybe some because of the bad stats, but at some point jokes cease being funny.

• Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

11 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

The question is really, when we hear that Peterman is a good guy, why is the first evidence of that often, "He's a person of faith?" Even teammates say this -- "he's very religious" I believe I remember Zay Jones saying, as if it's something that guys respect more than someone who is not religious.

If you are saying that coaches, players, media people, and others seem to relate his being a "good guy" and a "man of faith," then, obviously, Nathan Peterman conducts himself in certain ways that those around him see as good and decent, and based, in part, on his strong faith. Why does that beg any greater questions?

Maybe the question is really: If others described him as being a good guy and immediately followed it up with "he does a lot of work in the community and with charitable organizations," would you create a thread questioning whether it was a good thing to connect charitable work with being viewed as a good person?

Or is the issue of faith the problem for you?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Jpsredemption said:

Take you're rebellious college attitude to a political forum. Someday you'll learn that whether you agree or not that people are allowed to believe in a higher being.

Nobody's saying they aren't allowed to. What's being questioned is if there is a societal bias towards those that do. 

52 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

He's white and Christian, that'll go a long way with a lot of people.

I've thought for a while now that this is a big reason why Peterman's still here. Even though you can point to cold, hard facts about there being absolutely no other reason why he's survived this long on the team, many here will just try to brush it off. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, The Bills Blog said:

If someone is describing Peterman as "a good guy" and then as "a person of faith", I think the natural conclusion is that the two are perceived as differing: the speaker is describing Peterman as "a good guy" AND a "person of faith".

I think whether there's a societal bias towards Christianity or not is beyond the scope of a football discussion, so we'll see which way this thread goes.

To help it out, I'll refrain from giving my opinion there.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

If you are saying that coaches, players, media people, and others seem to relate his being a "good guy" and a "man of faith," then, obviously, Nathan Peterman conducts himself in certain ways that those around him see as good and decent, and based, in part, on his strong faith. Why does that beg any greater questions?

Maybe the question is really: If others described him as being a good guy and immediately followed it up with "he does a lot of work in the community and with charitable organizations," would you create a thread questioning whether it was a good thing to connect charitable work with being viewed as a good person?

Or is the issue of faith the problem for you?

I'm just trying to understand what you're saying...

But if you do a lot of work in the community with charitable organizations...you're doing something to earn that label of being a good person. 

I think the question here is does being religious automatically earn that label for some people? You hear around here all the time about how good a person Peterman is. We don't really hear that for other players who have struggled. I didn't hear it about Robert Foster earlier this season, or Phillip Gaines.

I will also correlate this with being white...but that good guy label seems to be thrown around pretty easily if you're outspoken about religion. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman
  • Thank you (+1) 2