Three Holding Penalties on One Play?

Just a minor aside from yesterday's game: The Jets actually had three different players called for holding on the SAME play. I can't ever remember seeing that before, I wonder how often it's happened in the history of the league?

Just a testimony to how dominant the Bills D has been - if you can't beat 'em, try and cheat 'em!

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Just a minor aside from yesterday's game: The Jets actually had three different players called for holding on the SAME play. I can't ever remember seeing that before, I wonder how often it's happened in the history of the league?

Just a testimony to how dominant the Bills D has been - if you can't beat 'em, try and cheat 'em!

I see it all the time.  Just watch a Pats game.

...oh, wait, do you mean called penalties?  No, never seen that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, nucci said:

I don't understand why 2 of the penalties are automatically declined. You commit more than one penalty on a play all should be accepted

By rule can only enforce and mark yards off for one so the other two by rule must be declined.

Refs let the team choose which penalty they wish to accept so they can decide which one helps them the most. Like decline off sides and accept the long PI.

Weird part is by declining them it is like they never happened. They are wiped off the stat sheet.

They should all count as a penalty even if they are not accepted.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 2

That was an analytics efficiency maneuver. Why go backwards 10 yards on three consecutive plays, when you can just get it out of your system with an “everybody who has the itch just go ahead and hold on this one” play. 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, cba fan said:

By rule can only enforce and mark yards off for one so the other two by rule must be declined.

Refs let the team choose which penalty they wish to accept so they can decide which one helps them the most. Like decline off sides and accept the long PI.

Weird part is by declining them it is like they never happened. They are wiped off the stat sheet.

Sadly,  this has helped more than hurt the Bills in recent years. 

On a related note, my dog has a personal best of four poops on one walk. 

7 hours ago, cba fan said:

I know the rule, I just disagree....I've seen 2 penalties called on one team in hockey....if you commit more than 1 penalty...all should be taken....

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Sadly,  this has helped more than hurt the Bills in recent years. 

On a related note, my dog has a personal best of four poops on one walk. 

I think it would need to be in the same spot to top 3 holding penalties!  But as noted above that could be called for "piling on"!

PS We can now say this place is going to the dogs!

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch