Can We Finally Give McBeane The Benefit of the Doubt?

Buffalo03

The only reason why we can't, and I love me some McBeane, is that the most important position was handled so poorly and even if this is as we believe it was going to be a "step back year", even a little better QB situation would have us in the thick of things at 5-5 with the NFL's easiest schedule the last 6 games.

22 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The only reason why we can't, and I love me some McBeane, is that the most important position was handled so poorly and even if this is as we believe it was going to be a "step back year", even a little better QB situation would have us in the thick of things at 5-5 with the NFL's easiest schedule the last 6 games.

That's exactly how I feel. This Peterman love screwed up this season badly and the whiff on McCarron. I'm surprised, elated and relieved that Barkley stepped in and played the way he did. At 28, he and Allen can be a good 1-2 punch. It's time to remedy the mistakes and move forward. The Jets laid an egg, let's see how they fare the next four weeks. I personally don't care about a top 5 pick. I want wins. Good teams find elite talent no matter what their draft position. Ask KC, Pitt, NE, LA Chargers, NO, LA Rams.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I haven't been one who's lost sight of the process McDermott is driving towards.  The defense alone is proof of that.  The offense, and Benjamin specifically have been apocalypticly bad.  After losing most of what was good about the offensive line during the offseason, my hopes and expectations were very low, but at no point did I think McDermott and Beane were to blame, that was a natural disaster type hit to take.

Natural disasters happen when you place that much faith in a shaky foundation. Woods was a liability physically and Cogs was on the wrong side of thirty and mentally challenged. It was definitely only a matter of time with him. When a street free agent comes in and plays up to this level, Barkley, is this an anomaly driven by desperation, pride fueled by lack of respect ( they were getting points form the Jets) and/or a glimmer of whatbis to become of this team?

19 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

That's exactly how I feel. This Peterman love screwed up this season badly and the whiff on McCarron. I'm surprised, elated and relieved that Barkley stepped in and played the way he did. At 28, he and Allen can be a good 1-2 punch. It's time to remedy the mistakes and move forward. The Jets laid an egg, let's see how they fare the next four weeks. I personally don't care about a top 5 pick. I want wins. Good teams find elite talent no matter what their draft position. Ask KC, Pitt, NE, LA Chargers, NO, LA Rams.

Thank you. You play to win the game!

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Whoa dude. That’s what you got out of my post? Chill

i said I’m all on board at least until the end of 19. I also said that some positions need to be weighted more heavily than others. I think thats reasonable. 

Im thrilled we seem to have filled a hole at guard before the offseason has even started and Jones is progressing. None of it is gonna matter if they don’t nail the qb spot. 

It not cut and dry, you love them or hate them. 

Here's my point. The guys are working through a complete overhaul. That's what it is. They are making this team younger, fixing the impending cap issues, defining the culture.

It's a massive undertaking. All I know is whenever I'm doing a big job, having people stand around and watch and comment is really draining. "Oh you missed a spot" type of comments are not helpful. Shady even mentioned the negativity in the presser yesterday and you can tell he wasn't thankful for it. 

Give the man some time to do his job. There were plenty of people on this board critical about Milano earlier in the year, those people aren't talking now. Instead of piling on about the QB situation why not comment on when he's doing about it. They went out and got Barkley 13 days ago and he played a great game. Why all the negativity when the guys are just doing their job. 

If building a top notch roster was that easy there'd be 31 of them in the league (Miami would still F it up ?) I'm looking at our team being the #1 defense in the league week 10 after the hardest part of our schedule just ended. Yesterday I saw guys really play, the O-Line did great. Zay Jones had a day and Foster looked good

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

We all know that this offense has been pathetic. We know that they have traded away a lot of good players. We know that they took on a lot of dead cap space this year and for some reason they have an obsession with Peterman but let's look at the last two drafts. We seemed to have hit on some nice players

Tre'Davious White: Lock Down Corner

Zay Jones: Has shown flashes he can be a very good receiver

Dion Dawkins: Easily Our Best offensive Lineman

Matt Milano: 5th Round Pick but a very nice gem at linebacker

Josh Allen: Has Shown Some Glimpses. Very Athletic but Very Raw. We'll See What Happens

Tremaine Edmunds: Has Looked Fantastic This Season. Will be a cornerstone for a long time

Harrison Phillips: Has Made Some Plays

Taron Johnson: Has played Well This Season

Wyatt Teller: Got His First Start and Looks Like A Mauler

A lot of these guys have been mid to late round picks. I think they deserve credit for the last two drafts that have been put together. I think another solid draft and some nice free agent signings with a lot of cap space we can be a potential playoff team next season

I agree but it comes down to Allen. If he fails we go no where.

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Here's my point. The guys are working through a complete overhaul. That's what it is. They are making this team younger, fixing the impending cap issues, defining the culture.

It's a massive undertaking. All I know is whenever I'm doing a big job, having people stand around and watch and comment is really draining. "Oh you missed a spot" type of comments are not helpful. Shady even mentioned the negativity in the presser yesterday and you can tell he wasn't thankful for it. 

Give the man some time to do his job. There were plenty of people on this board critical about Milano earlier in the year, those people aren't talking now. Instead of piling on about the QB situation why not comment on when he's doing about it. They went out and got Barkley 13 days ago and he played a great game. Why all the negativity when the guys are just doing their job. 

If building a top notch roster was that easy there'd be 31 of them in the league (Miami would still F it up ?) I'm looking at our team being the #1 defense in the league week 10 after the hardest part of our schedule just ended. Yesterday I saw guys really play, the O-Line did great. Zay Jones had a day and Foster looked good

on a job site some things are more important that others. you are turning a complete blind eye to their mishandling of the most important position in the NFL. i'm not being negative at all. I LOVE allen. my criticism is completely reasonable and not over the top. I love the roll players they brought in via free agency and draft. I think they've bought themselves time. 

i'm sorry you think a reasonable take on how bad the qb situation has been handled is me just spewing constant negativity. its not the case. you apparently are a very black and white individual. its obviously one extreme or the other with you. and that's just not where im at.

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

on a job site some things are more important that others. you are turning a complete blind eye to their mishandling of the most important position in the NFL. i'm not being negative at all. I LOVE allen. my criticism is completely reasonable and not over the top. I love the roll players they brought in via free agency and draft. I think they've bought themselves time. 

i'm sorry you think a reasonable take on how bad the qb situation has been handled is me just spewing constant negativity. its not the case. you apparently are a very black and white individual. its obviously one extreme or the other with you. and that's just not where im at.

I'm probably being overly sensitive and I do not mean to pick on you specifically. I'm just tired of all the fire McD fire Beane, trade McCoy etc... 

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I'm probably being overly sensitive and I do not mean to pick on you specifically. I'm just tired of all the fire McD fire Beane, trade McCoy etc... 

right. i'm not in any of those camps. never was.....But I think its fairly obvious they butchered their qb situation and every time after week 1 that Peterman saw the field I felt was inexcusable and huge mark against those guys. 

I can't give them the benefit of the doubt yet cause of how bad they messed up the QB situation. Going into the season as Peterman as your starting QB is inexcusable. The fact it took them til week 10 to realize he can't play makes me question their ability to evaluate QB talent. With even an average QB they are probably 5-5. 

McDermott had his team fired up and Bowles team quit on him.

That says a lot of McDermott's ability to motivate, but not nearly enough about his long term viability as a coach.

There are certainly some good young players on this roster, but I'm not going to read too much into what happened yesterday against a bad Jets team. I was already aware of McDermott's ability to motivate.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That says a lot of McDermott's ability to motivate, but not nearly enough about his long term viability as a coach.

There are certainly some good young players on this roster, but I'm not going to read too much into what happened yesterday against a bad Jets team. I was already aware of McDermott's ability to motivate.

We've also been blown out quite a bit on McDermott's watch though. They were fired up yesterdasy, but we definitely haven't seen that consistently. We've had our games where we looked like the Jets did yesterday. 

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Reality is expecting to fire management less than two years into a regime?  There were people wanting both McD and Beane gone after the brutal three game stretch last year.

That's so vague though. 

This isn't necessarily about McD and Beane, but I ask this because I see general statements like this being made all the time. Do you think a regime should get a certain allotment of time no matter how the rebuilding process is progressing? Even if it's not going well, there should be a standard minimum set of years just given to them simply because it's labeled a rebuild?

• Like (+1) 1

We all know that this offense has been pathetic. We know that they have traded away a lot of good players. We know that they took on a lot of dead cap space this year and for some reason they have an obsession with Peterman but let's look at the last two drafts. We seemed to have hit on some nice players

Josh Allen: Has Shown Some Glimpses. Very Athletic but Very Raw. We'll See What Happens

Tremaine Edmunds: Has Looked Fantastic This Season. Will be a cornerstone for a long time

A lot of these guys have been mid to late round picks. I think they deserve credit for the last two drafts that have been put together. I think another solid draft and some nice free agent signings with a lot of cap space we can be a potential playoff team next season

White: Has played well, but it's hard to judge a corner until the opposition has to throw to beat you.  We've had very few glimpses of that so far.

Jones:  "Flashes" means he's inconsistent, at this point.  Hard to judge before he's regularly targeted.

Dawkins:  The best of possibly one of the worst O-lines in the NFL is faint praise.

Milano:  He's a good value more than he's a great player.  Like day old donuts.

Allen:  Yet to play ONE good regular season game.  Still many excuses for that before he can be fairly evaluated.  Complete question mark.  At this point, my guess is that he'll be a bust.

Edmunds:  Makes a lot of mistakes on the way to the hole on run plays.  Is, however, athletic enough to overcome some of his mistakes.  Is he coachable?

Phillips:  See Milano

Johnson:  See Milano

Teller:  Good start against a terrible Jets team.  Let's see him against a good team.

Last of all, 9 "prospects" in our 3-7 losing lineup isn't really all that impressive.  Probably the Jets (who appear to be worse than us) could make the same claim, or better.

Most regimes, even our past ones, will come up with some quality players they add to the organization.

My hesitancy to give them the benefit of the doubt is how bad the offensive system has been and the complete butchery of management of the QB position. 

The make or break will obviously be how/if Josh Allen develops, because none of this will matter if he doesn't turn out to be the real deal. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this is the coaching staff that can develop a legitimate top quality franchise QB. 

15 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think had the Jets scored first, it would have been the Bills players who quit.  That's what happens on losing teams.