Can We Finally Give McBeane The Benefit of the Doubt?

Buffalo03

We all know that this offense has been pathetic. We know that they have traded away a lot of good players. We know that they took on a lot of dead cap space this year and for some reason they have an obsession with Peterman but let's look at the last two drafts. We seemed to have hit on some nice players

Tre'Davious White: Lock Down Corner

Zay Jones: Has shown flashes he can be a very good receiver

Dion Dawkins: Easily Our Best offensive Lineman

Matt Milano: 5th Round Pick but a very nice gem at linebacker

Josh Allen: Has Shown Some Glimpses. Very Athletic but Very Raw. We'll See What Happens

Tremaine Edmunds: Has Looked Fantastic This Season. Will be a cornerstone for a long time

Harrison Phillips: Has Made Some Plays

Taron Johnson: Has played Well This Season

Wyatt Teller: Got His First Start and Looks Like A Mauler

A lot of these guys have been mid to late round picks. I think they deserve credit for the last two drafts that have been put together. I think another solid draft and some nice free agent signings with a lot of cap space we can be a potential playoff team next season

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I’ll also give them credit for pulling Barkley off the scrap heap, getting the fast returner off the Denver practice squad and putting some younger guys back in. 

Now they need to deal with those Divas WRs.   Kelvin and Pryor. Those guys can’t get their uniforms dirty. Embarrassing lack of effort 

I personally wasn’t gonna be ready to move on from them until I see what happens next year.... 

with that being said... decisions and positions should be weighted. Their loyalty to peterman and absolute butcher job of the most important position has been inexcusable. 

Verdict is justifiably out, still, and I hold off on any concrete judgement until the end of next season

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

We all know that this offense has been pathetic. We know that they have traded away a lot of good players. We know that they took on a lot of dead cap space this year and for some reason they have an obsession with Peterman but let's look at the last two drafts. We seemed to have hit on some nice players

Josh Allen: Has Shown Some Glimpses. Very Athletic but Very Raw. We'll See What Happens

Tremaine Edmunds: Has Looked Fantastic This Season. Will be a cornerstone for a long time

A lot of these guys have been mid to late round picks. I think they deserve credit for the last two drafts that have been put together. I think another solid draft and some nice free agent signings with a lot of cap space we can be a potential playoff team next season

I haven't been one who's lost sight of the process McDermott is driving towards.  The defense alone is proof of that.  The offense, and Benjamin specifically have been apocalypticly bad.  After losing most of what was good about the offensive line during the offseason, my hopes and expectations were very low, but at no point did I think McDermott and Beane were to blame, that was a natural disaster type hit to take.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane was 100% responsible for this year's draft. He wasn't in place long enough last year to take any credit.

I think Whaley's scouting team was in full effect with McDermott picking and choosing in the 2017 draft.

I would like to see more than a good game against the Jets to be convinced but it would have been crushing to lose this one.

Edited by VADC Bills

Nope.  Answering the doubts of fans is a big part of how a GM proves everyday that he is up to the job.

Its a big part of the reason its a tough job and its a big part of the reason why GMs get the big bucks.

Yes, Beane (and McDermott who has the often tougher job of being the face of the organization who ends up getting far more blame for bad results than he deserves and likewise far more credit for positive results than he deserves) earned some benefit of the doubt when the team he managed ended the 17 year playoff drought.  However, any benefit of the doubt his team earned for him by reaching the playoffs is now pretty much burned up by the real world results of the team he manages record of losing this year.

I guess the real world answer to your question is that Beane has ALREADY gotten the benefit of the doubt from not the speculation you lay out of good draft work etc (a true verdict on the quality of his draft actually won't be known for two years).  Despite logging horrible results so far this season that normally might get a braintrust fired he gets the befit of the doubt from a 17 year playoff drought ending on his watch.

However, the Os incredibly feeble start rendering this team's embarrassing non-entertaining start has used up this benefit.

His team needs to show tangible improvements NOW.  This does not mean we need to mortgage the future to win now.  I can take losing now to build for the future.  However, we MUST put a credible product TEAM on the field which may well lose, but at least puts up credible results while fighting to win.

We have not reached this minor achievement the two games (part of four straight losses.  Beane kept his job.

Fortunately, the TEAM produced yesterday.

Do this 5 or so more times in a row Beane EARNS the benefit of the doubt again.

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Bills have the #1 D in the NFL 10 weeks into the year with an offense that makes that near impossible with how bad they are and how much they have forced the D to be on the field for so long.

5 games holding opponents to under 300 total yards

2 in a row under 200 total yards

Have only allowed over 400 total yards once this season

Have only allowed a 300 yard passer once

Have held opponents to under 160 yards passing in 5 of the last 6 games.

That's really damn impressive with how 300 yards passing in a game is becoming the norm not the exception.

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I’ll also give them credit for pulling Barkley off the scrap heap, getting the fast returner off the Denver practice squad and putting some younger guys back in. 

Now they need to deal with those Divas WRs.   Kelvin and Pryor. Those guys can’t get their uniforms dirty. Embarrassing lack of effort 

I'm willing to cut Pryor some slack, he's still learning the playbook.  Every target he had yesterday was about 6 feet over his head.  Benjamin?  He's a POS bum.  What is that, 4 TD passes dropped this year?  Get him TF outta here.

Congratulations to the Bills on the win.

In terms of benefit of the doubt, I would think the goal should be to get Allen out on the field again, and making this offense competitive in every remaining game. 

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Bills have the #1 D in the NFL 10 weeks into the year with an offense that makes that near impossible with how bad they are and how much they have forced the D to be on the field for so long.

5 games holding opponents to under 300 total yards

2 in a row under 200 total yards

Have only allowed over 400 total yards once this season

Have only allowed a 300 yard passer once

Have held opponents to under 160 yards passing in 5 of the last 6 games.

That's really damn impressive with how 300 yards passing in a game is becoming the norm not the exception.

This is a good write up, thanks.

And something to note in the offseason. The Bills would be smart to continue building the defense, adding DE, OLB and CB. 

Of course, WR, OG, TE are the highest priorities, but smart additions on defense will continue adding depth to the team. 

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I personally wasn’t gonna be ready to move on from them until I see what happens next year.... 

with that being said... decisions and positions should be weighted. Their loyalty to peterman and absolute butcher job of the most important position has been inexcusable. 

Verdict is justifiably out, still, and I hold off on any concrete judgement until the end of next season

If you can't see a top quality roster being built here then you are just too dug into negativity to even try. Try and take a couple of moments to give these guys a fair shot. Look at how young our team is. Look at how some of these guys are progressing. Yesterday was a glimpse of what some of these guys can become. Zay Jones was freaking fantastic. He's a second year guy who is on track to be a force year 3 (kind like Moulds did). 

Growing pain sucks but try and see the development of the young guys. If you want to find any negative from yesterday it's what the win did to our draft position. Personally I'll take the team winning every time, I like the young guys getting a taste of victory.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, KingRex said:

Nope.  Answering the doubts of fans is a big part of how a GM proves everyday that he is up to the job.

Do this 5 or so more times in a row Beane EARNS the benefit of the doubt again.

Hmmmmph.....pretty sure that answering the doubts of a bunch of amateur armchair posters on a forum with little or no concept or patience for a plan is not something he or Pegs is worried about....

Likewise....I am quite sure he is not at all worried about "EARNING" your confidence....

Perhaps you should get off the anonymous forum go over to OBD and address these observations with him....

Edited by TH3

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

If you can't see a top quality roster being built here then you are just too dug into negativity to even try. Try and take a couple of moments to give these guys a fair shot. Look at how young our team is. Look at how some of these guys are progressing. Yesterday was a glimpse of what some of these guys can become. Zay Jones was freaking fantastic. He's a second year guy who is on track to be a force year 3 (kind like Moulds did). 

Growing pain sucks but try and see the development of the young guys. If you want to find any negative from yesterday it's what the win did to our draft position. Personally I'll take the team winning every time, I like the young guys getting a taste of victory.

I think this in on the optimistic side. 

Will the Bills be consistent the rest of the year? Even when they lose, will their offense be competitive? 

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I think this in on the optimistic side. 

Will the Bills be consistent the rest of the year? Even when they lose, will their offense be competitive? 

This is my prediction.

They won't be consistent but they'll show growth

Next year they will be a lot better due to the added experience and added talent. They'll be very consistent and competitive by the end of the year. They may be a wildcard or just miss the playoffs.

2020 they will be a SB favorite and a lot of the folks on here talking crap about players coaches GMs and owners will say they always were on board and never doubted.

That's how I see the process working out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Whoa dude. That’s what you got out of my post? Chill

i said I’m all on board at least until the end of 19. I also said that some positions need to be weighted more heavily than others. I think thats reasonable. 

Im thrilled we seem to have filled a hole at guard before the offseason has even started and Jones is progressing. None of it is gonna matter if they don’t nail the qb spot. 

It not cut and dry, you love them or hate them. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Great post but figure the odds of McDermott or Beane getting credit for anything on TBD; this board has become a magnet for emotional babble from those who probably only follow the Bills as a passing fancy!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

and for not giving up on Foster.  He was a surprise to make the team out of training camp as he had some misses during preseason, then didn't look good in early games leading to the cut.  I hadn't realized that they re-signed him to PS.  Looks like he needed a bit more work, after elevating him, he had a great game yesterday!

• Like (+1) 1