Can We Finally Give McBeane The Benefit of the Doubt?

Buffalo03

2 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

White: Has played well, but it's hard to judge a corner until the opposition has to throw to beat you.  We've had very few glimpses of that so far.

Jones:  "Flashes" means he's inconsistent, at this point.  Hard to judge before he's regularly targeted.

Dawkins:  The best of possibly one of the worst O-lines in the NFL is faint praise.

Milano:  He's a good value more than he's a great player.  Like day old donuts.

Allen:  Yet to play ONE good regular season game.  Still many excuses for that before he can be fairly evaluated.  Complete question mark.  At this point, my guess is that he'll be a bust.

Edmunds:  Makes a lot of mistakes on the way to the hole on run plays.  Is, however, athletic enough to overcome some of his mistakes.  Is he coachable?

Phillips:  See Milano

Johnson:  See Milano

Teller:  Good start against a terrible Jets team.  Let's see him against a good team.

Last of all, 9 "prospects" in our 3-7 losing lineup isn't really all that impressive.  Probably the Jets (who appear to be worse than us) could make the same claim, or better.

I agree with some of this, but I would give a few of those guys more credit, such as White, Milano, Phillips, and Johnson. Those guys have consistently played pretty well. I like Edmunds as well, dude's only 20 and can make plays. Hopefully some of those mistakes will get cleaned up but I do like that he's a possible playmaker. 

But I agree, most regimes can claim a handful of quality players after a couple of offseasons. I don't think anything special has been done here as of yet. That'll all depend on Allen. 

11 minutes ago, Thurman Kelly said:

I think had the Jets scored first, it would have been the Bills players who quit.  That's what happens on losing teams.

I was thinking about that after I posted.

The positive under McDermott is that we've won the majority of close games we've played. Call it luck or happenstance if you like. It's not something I'm used to as a fan. That's how a team with a negative point differential sneaks into the playoffs. We also haven't squandered leads. When things start well, they stay that way.

The negative is that once things start going poorly, they never seem to step up and change the momentum to keep the game competitive.

This may mean absolutely nothing. Just personal observations. Keep in mind, I'm trying to be as positive as possible right now because I firmly believe we do not have a quarterback.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

We all know that this offense has been pathetic. We know that they have traded away a lot of good players. We know that they took on a lot of dead cap space this year and for some reason they have an obsession with Peterman but let's look at the last two drafts. We seemed to have hit on some nice players

Tre'Davious White: Lock Down Corner

Zay Jones: Has shown flashes he can be a very good receiver

Dion Dawkins: Easily Our Best offensive Lineman

Matt Milano: 5th Round Pick but a very nice gem at linebacker

Josh Allen: Has Shown Some Glimpses. Very Athletic but Very Raw. We'll See What Happens

Tremaine Edmunds: Has Looked Fantastic This Season. Will be a cornerstone for a long time

Harrison Phillips: Has Made Some Plays

Taron Johnson: Has played Well This Season

Wyatt Teller: Got His First Start and Looks Like A Mauler

A lot of these guys have been mid to late round picks. I think they deserve credit for the last two drafts that have been put together. I think another solid draft and some nice free agent signings with a lot of cap space we can be a potential playoff team next season

And between two different regimes - which is not easily done, nor often seen. In all honesty I wonder how long we can keep this up with landing late round picks. I also wonder if my perception of us landing late round picks (i.e. teller and phillips) is slightly skewed by just how bad the rest of the roster is, but can't help but be thrilled for Taron and Milano panning out thus far. I'd really love for the trend to continue, but it's not something to rely on.

Landing the late round picks will more or less determine whether McD and Beane are given another year. More so McD, but with all the holes in our current roster, we really need to hit on the late round picks so we have internally developed, cheap talent that can contribute on a serviceable to average level and support the overall cast.

5 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Bills have the #1 D in the NFL 10 weeks into the year with an offense that makes that near impossible with how bad they are and how much they have forced the D to be on the field for so long.

5 games holding opponents to under 300 total yards

2 in a row under 200 total yards

Have only allowed over 400 total yards once this season

Have only allowed a 300 yard passer once

Have held opponents to under 160 yards passing in 5 of the last 6 games.

That's really damn impressive with how 300 yards passing in a game is becoming the norm not the exception.

Some of these stats are due to the team being blown out. Teams are just trying to get the game over not put up a ton of more yards etc. 

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Some of these stats are due to the team being blown out. Teams are just trying to get the game over not put up a ton of more yards etc. 

But they aren't putting up stats at really any point in the game.  When the Bills are getting blown out its usually because the offense/special teams are turning the ball over or doing dumb things giving them short fields to work with. It's not like they are marching 80 yards every drive.  Bills rank very high in nearly every defensive metric, so obviously that doesn't gibe with your theory.

10 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Reality is expecting to fire management less than two years into a regime?  There were people wanting both McD and Beane gone after the brutal three game stretch last year.

Did you b*tch after Rex was gone after 2 years?  They messed up big.  I can see giving them another year.  But please stop labeling all deserved criticism as negative. 

Edited by nedboy7

21 hours ago, matter2003 said:

But they aren't putting up stats at really any point in the game.  When the Bills are getting blown out its usually because the offense/special teams are turning the ball over or doing dumb things giving them short fields to work with. It's not like they are marching 80 yards every drive.  Bills rank very high in nearly every defensive metric, so obviously that doesn't gibe with your theory.

I think its hard to quantify the effect the score has on stats. If a team is up big it changes the entire course of the game. They could very well be a good defense and I do beleive they are at least above average. But the way the season has gone it makes it hard to tell. I will say that was McD took over play calling things got much better.

But the D got pretty much destroyed in at least 3 of the 10 games. The D has looked really good in another 3-4. And another 3-4 were ok. 

BAL - D got destroyed

LAC - D got destroyed

MIN - D dominated

GB - D bad, not as bad as BAL and LAC

TEN - D dominated

HOU - D dominated
IND - D got destroyed 

NE - D got handled, but kept was able not give up some TD's

CHI - Who knows, 28-0 at half. Helped D stats since CHI didnt even need to play offense. 

NYJ - D dominated

Everyone knows the long term plan at QB is for Josh Allen to take over.  The bigger questions are at O Line, WR and TE.  I have no idea why the Bills have wasted so much time this year with Vlad, Benjamin and Clay.  All three of those guys are clearly done, or are playing like they want to be done.  If Allen needs time on the field, can't the same be said for Teller, Foster and Croom?