2019 Offensive Line

Dadonkadonk

I think Teller was a big upgrade yesterday. He mauled his man a few times including a pancake block where he put his man on his back 5 yards downfield.

Why it took so long to sit Ducasse I have no idea. If Teller continues playing like he is I think that side of the line should be set for a few years at least with him and Dawkins

I'm hoping for Ryan Kalil in free agency. It'd be nice to have a veteran center calling the line audibles. I'd draft the best center I could in the 2nd-3rd and play him at RG until Kalil retires. Dawkins is good, Mills is a starter but if you can upgrade him too that'd be a bonus. I'd let Miller and Teller battle for that other guard spot.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Miller has definitely outperformed Ducasse this year. Ducasse can pass block.... but he gets absolutely zero run game push. Miller has been probably the second most consistent member of our line after Dawkins (who has had his struggles but has been our best lineman) that said I wouldn't advocate bringing him back. Mills I still might bring back on another cheap one year deal. He is a bottom if the barrell starting right tackle but he is a starting right tackle. He is a guy you only move on from when you have an upgrade in my opinion because it can get a lot worse at the spot. I'd try and re-sign him before FA starts and then still target a replacement in FA. 

They need three new starters.  The issue with Ducasse wasn't just his lack of push - he has a penchant for taking his own guys out of the play on running plays.  I can't count how many times I saw him barreling into Bodine or Miller, blowing up the running play before it even started.  He is a disgrace.  Miller is replacement-level and seems to  have lost some mobility - honestly he seems out of shape to me.  And Mills is good for 2-5 negative plays per game, which is just too many.  Finally, if they can upgrade the pivot they should do it - they've somehow gotten by with Bodine for most of the year but he's not the long-term answer.  He's a solid enough backup but that's it.  They need 3 athletic, intelligent linemen - give me three more Dawkins or Tellers and I'll be good.  Look what the Colts were able to do rebuilding their line this year - it makes a huge difference between winning and losing.

• Like (+1) 1

The free agent market on centers has a couple of interesting names. 

Mitch Morse - I think he is the guy with the highest ceiling. 6-6, 305 has been very good for Kansas City. His problem has been injuries. He missed a few games last year and has been out his year as well. Started 42 games. He will 27 next year. 

Matt Paradis - I think he goes back to Denver, but is a very interesting guy as well. 6-3, 300 and going to turn thirty next year. He's been very durable starting 57 games until he broke his leg this year. He is going to require an overpay. 

Nick Easton - I think this is the guy we wind up with. A Harvard graduate who can play guard or center. He started his career in camp with the Baltimore Ravens with Juan Castillo as his line coach. He's been traded a couple of times as well. He was an undrafted free agent who played so well for the Ravens in the preseason that they were able to turn him into a seventh round pick in a trade with the miners. 6-3, 307, will be 27 next year. He's on IR because of a bulging disc in his neck. He's only started 17 games in his career so far. 

Basically that is it. I think Easton makes sense because he is versatile and smart and he should not be super expensive to sign. He also has a history with Castillo. Ryan Khalil is still a very good player, but I don't love the idea of a 35 year old center. I like a guy in that 27-28 range to grow with the rest of the guys.

• Like (+1) 1

I don't really care if they come from FA or the Draft, but we need to replace C, RG, and RT and that is the order I'd prioritize them in. Dawkins at LT and Teller at LG are a decent start. Alternatively, if they are in a position to draft a premier LT, I could see the argument to move Dawkins to LG and bump Teller over to RG.

If we wound up with something like:

Dawkins-Teller- Nick Easton-AJ Cann-Daryl Williams

I don't think it is unrealistic and I like the ages of these guys. Easton and Williams are coming off injury so may be cheaper and I like Cann as a RG. I do think Williams will still be the most exp nsive of the bunch. 

You guys are absolutely insane if you're OK with John Miller or Bodine coming back as starters. Those guys are far below league average OL. Bodine is probably the worst starting Center in the NFL, no way can we go into 2019 with him in a big role. If we don't bring in a better player to at least 2 OL spots, we'll be looking at another early draft pick in 2020.

One other thought on the OL for now. 

I do like Ike Boettger and I hope we see him work in at RG soon. I know he played guard and tackle at Iowa and projects as a guard. I'm curious if he can play center. He's about the same size as Mitch Morse, who was a tackle at Missouri and converted to center. Juan Castillo oversaw the conversion of Ryan Jensen from a right tackle to a center, and he  just got a boatload of money from Tampa this offseason.  

Ike is a converted tight end, so we know he is athletic and he is also smart. Again, it's just an idea, but I'm curious to see if it's something that could happen here.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Miller is still up and down.  He is a FA at the end of the year.  Anyone bring him back?  I've always liked him as a player.  I think it is telling that they sat Ducasse.  

If Miller is brought back and Teller shows he can play the part, it is one or two holes that don't need to be filled in the off-season.  Mid to low round OL that are average or above average are salary cap savers.  Spend some money or a high pick on C and TE.  Hell even Mills is adequate. But again he is a FA to be.  At this point I probably bring back Miller over Mills.  

Thoughts?

The first move they should make regarding the OL this offseason? Let go of Castillo. Starts and stops there. So once the train has started:

If he can be had for cheap due to poor play, I'd rather they keep Miller than Ducasse for depth just simply for youth. But in all honesty, having Teller pan out into a serviceable starting guard would be amazing. Though it would slightly screw with the offseason plans. Best case scenario depends on what they are able to bring in, but would include cutting both Miller and Ducasse, and having Bodine/Groy for depth fill out.

Next, my hopes are for us to sign both Paradis and Saffold in FA buckling down Center and RG/LG respectively. I wasn't especially impressed by the FA market for RT, but not sure if anything is also better than Mills at this point. It would be preferable to get at least two, my priority hope being Paradis to land someone capable of anchoring this line in the middle like Wood did. But with OL, if you don't start with LT the most important line position is Center. Saffold would give us much needed interior help as well, but not sure if we're better off going RT here instead.

With a top pick, I was hoping we would take Greg Little for LT, swing Dawkins into LG because of his crazy mobility/though Teller might even be able to fill this role and swing Dawkins out to RT but that would almost be a waste of a talent there. Say we don't end up signing a guard in FA, but do land a starting LT. Swing Dawkins in at LG and hopefully Teller's path continues to RG for next season - both are crazy mobile and physical guys; would love to see them get to the next level and pancake some backers, or pull on screens.

Either way, I don't see us being able to bring in more than two OL in FA, and maybe one high pick in the draft outside of our depth picks later on. But trying to find four starters in one offseason would be a challenge, even for the sexiest of FA destinations.

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

Dawkins and, maybe Teller (if he continues to improve) should the only returning starters.

FA should bring in two new starters and a high draft choice (1st, 2nd or 3rd rounder) should ring in another starter.

I agree with this. I could see one of the C's (probably bodine) returning as well. He hasn't been great, but may not be time to move on yet and we have alot of holes. RG and RT should be replaced no matter what.