The timing of McDermott's wins

BillsVet

Coach McD has a strange tendency to win games at crucial junctures of his tenure when criticism hits a high point.  Three examples immediately come to mind in his 26 games coached:

Last season in Week 12, after 3 straight losses (and 2 blow outs), McD beats Kansas City on the road to put Buffalo over .500. 

This year, after 2 blow outs to start the season, Buffalo goes to Minnesota and convincingly took down a Vikings team that some talked about as a SB favorite.  

And now, with their 4th starting QB of the season (who was a street FA signing) an anemic offense, and having lost their last 4 games, the Bills beat go to NY and beat the Jets by 31 points. 

In each game, I cannot imagine most fans expected a win, particularly considering these were road games.  Nor do I believe this team is turning a corner all of a sudden.  I'm merely stating that he gets wins when criticism mounts and I'll give credit where credit is due.     

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, fridge said:

He also has a strange tendancy to get absoluted blasted off the field in like a third of his games.

No disagreement there. My point is somehow he manages to find a way to win games when he needs it most.  That's not to say there aren't examples which go the opposite way.

6 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Coach McD has a strange tendency to win games at crucial junctures of his tenure when criticism hits a high point.  Three examples immediately come to mind in his 26 games coached:

Last season in Week 12, after 3 straight losses (and 2 blow outs), McD beats Kansas City on the road to put Buffalo over .500. 

This year, after 2 blow outs to start the season, Buffalo goes to Minnesota and convincingly took down a Vikings team that some talked about as a SB favorite.  

And now, with their 4th starting QB of the season (who was a street FA signing) an anemic offense, and having lost their last 4 games, the Bills beat go to NY and beat the Jets by 31 points. 

In each game, I cannot imagine most fans expected a win, particularly considering these were road games.  Nor do I believe this team is turning a corner all of a sudden.  I'm merely stating that he gets wins when criticism mounts and I'll give credit where credit is due.     

It's all part of the process. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He’s 12-14 as a Coach. 

You’d like to see consistent competitive football the rest of the year with Allen starting. 

No argument there and that's really the end goal for this lost season.  They have to know what they're working with re: Allen.

8 hours ago, BillsVet said:

It's obvious the players believe in him and with better talent on offense I think we could make a major jump next year provided the defense stays relatively the same

Edited by matter2003

You could argue this happens, to a large extent, because the players believe in what the coaches are doing in spite of the bad losses.

Yesterday was a perfect example of one team showing up to play hard for their coaches, and another team laying down. I'm still not sure why Bowles hasn't been fired yet.

There are a lot of reasons to dump a coach, but one of the most glaring is when the players give up on them. This team, for the most part, seems to genuinely believe in the path being taken, especially when you realize that they value people who want to play over people who  simply stopped caring (i.e. Benjamin).

But, y'know, lay an egg against the Jags and the pitchforks will be out again demanding a complete gutting of OBD.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1