A Few Thoughts about the Jets Game, In no particular order

Virgil

I'll be honest, I wasn't really looking for this game nor the subsequent recap.  We were starting another cast-off who hadn't been on the team for more than a handful of games with the worst offense in the NFL.  Here was another game where we make a crap team look amazing and we are debating what to do with our top 5 pick.  And then there was kick off.....

1 - Opening Drive - I felt the entire range of emotions on the opening drive.  I thought, look at us starting Foster at WR and look at the 10 yard cushion.   As Barkley dropped back and cocked his arm, I wondered how far off the pass would be.  Then Foster made an incredible catch.  Not because it was a deep ball, but because he had to track it completely over his head and adjust.  He wasn't wide open either.  He had a step on the defender.  Either way, it was just beautiful.  Then I'm thinking, 3-0 would be our first lead in forever, that's a win; BBFS at it's finest.  So we hand the ball off to Shady and there's a hole.  5 yards downfield, you can see it, Shady can see it, the fans can see it.  Shady kicks into another gear and breaks free for the TD, showing his burst, agility and balance.  In two plays, we are up 7-0 from an offense that hadn't scored a real offensive TD that mattered in forever.  But, true to my BBFS, I fully expected that to be our scripted opening drive like against the Pats, where we look completely lost for the rest of the game.  I love being wrong.

2 - Barkley - He didn't throw for 300 yards.  He wasn't on an NFL roster 2 weeks ago.  He missed some throws by a good margin.  But he was exactly what we've been waiting for all year.  He led the offense in a way that showed you what's possible with this team.  He took shots deep and hit them.  He threw over the middle.  He took some hits and got right back up.  He spread the ball around, threw it up for guys to make plays.  He didn't turn the ball over, however he almost did in the 2nd quarter where he threw to the only guy not wide open.  I don't know if the plan was to sit Allen this year behind Peterman or not, but if it was, Barkley showed in this game that he deserves to be out there while Allen learns.  Guys played for him.  It was a coming out party for the offense in a way we haven't seen all year.  It was fun.  There were multiple drives.  I was disappointed when we punted, rather than expecting it.  Barkley gave us all the greatest pre-bye week gift he could have, hope for this offense.

3 - Benjamin - Let me just get this out of the way now because it's the only negative I have.  We don't need him.  If there is any cap savings in doing it now, then cut him.  His drop, again, on a jump ball in the end zone and all around lack of relevance on the field is a joke.  We have too many other guys fighting for a spot to not give them a chance and he doesn't even serve as a decoy.  It's sad with his height and ability, but I'm done with him.  

4 - Hello world

It's like a different way of living now

And thank you world

We always knew that we'd be free somehow

In harmony

And show the world that we've got liberty

5 - Daboll - I'm sorry.  For this week, I'm sorry.  The trick play to Dawkins, the shots downfield, the balanced attack, was all great.  The pass setup the run and McCoy went crazy.  More importantly, we had multiple long drives and didn't take our foot off the gas.  For the first time this season, we looked like a real NFL offense.  Was it the younger guys taking the most of the opportunity, was it a QB that sees the field better?  I honestly don't know.  Whatever it was, I hope to see more of it.

6 - Blitzes - I was really overall impressed with the blitzing scheme that Frazier called.  His coverage disguises worked well and guys were making it into the backfield cleanly.  Milano took a huge shot on McCown.  Our front 4 did a good overall with stunts and edge rushes.  We didn't rack up a ton of sacks like against Minnesota, but we were back there enough to disrupt things and McCown wasn't comfortable.

7 - Special Teams - The aggressive play calling bled into special teams with a beautifully executed fake punt.  Foster made a good move on the defender and Logan Thomas threw it on the money.  It was a combination of timing and skill, two things we haven't seen a lot of on special teams.  It also showed that we weren't going to give the ball back unless we had to.  Loved the move and loved even more than all 3 facets of the team were in sync.  Also, the FG to put us up 17-0 was money in that wind.  

8 - Turnovers - There was an article floating around on here where someone said the Bills were the unluckiest team in the first half with how fumbles bounced.  We had something like the most forced fumbles but the lowest recovery percentage.  That, with a few bounces going our way, games could be different.  Zay's first fumble into the endzone was almost the most Billsy thing to happen.  It's what we would do.  Be up 7-0, drive down field again, fumble into the endzone, the Jets march downfield and tie it up.  Not today.  We recover in the endzone, we get INT's today, we get the bounces and the tips.  Sometimes it's that simple.  Momentum and lady luck may not be factors on paper, but they are a real thing.

9 - McDermott - On 4th and 1, up 14-0, I was nervous about going for it.  Fortunately, the false start took the decision out of our hands.  While we are 2-7 with nothing to lose, maybe I just want points whenever we can get them as I know we can blow a lead.  Either way, McDermott was a man on a mission today.  I don't know what plays he calls and doesn't, but he had everyone on the same page.  He was there after every big play hyping guys up and was incredibly aggressive, which is unlike him.  Today was the game the process is promising us.  I know it's only one game, but to finally see it was something to behold.  Jets or not, we put together a complete game and utilized the max potential of our talent.  Maybe things are looking up.

10 - The Jets - I think Bowles gets fired soon and I don't like saying that because I like him as a coach.  Someone asked why Rex only got 2 years.  The answer was the Jets today.  I'm not saying we didn't play well nor an I diminishing the win, but that team is a mess.  You could see it in the fans, the players on the sidelines.  The team has lost hope and heart.  They still aren't the mess that the Raiders are, but Bowles has lost the team.  They may say the right words to the media, but they are done and change is near.

What a great way to head into the bye week.  A Bills win and a Pats loss.  3-0 in my fantasy teams and it looks like we have a viable option at QB if Allen isn't ready.  Here's to a relaxing next weekend and then home for the Jags.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 12
  • Thank you (+1) 6

We have to credit the OL for the way they played today.  They dominated the line of scrimmage and gave enough time for Barkley to set his feet and throw...something they had not shown in the past several weeks.   This also opened up the holes for the running game which McCoy and MUrphy took advantage.   For one game, this OL looked outstanding. They came to play.  Can they show this consistency game in game out.

How about the Jets with three holding penalties in the same play. That has to be a historic record or something.

I say cut Benjamin and call Phillips up.

Lots of OL moving around today, Sirles and Groy saw some playing time.

1) Thanks for doing this @Virgil. I was afraid you would miss the best opportunity thus far this year when I didn't see it last night.  You do great work and I'm sure NYC is proud of you. Something you didn't cover was the OL. They seemed to be able to pull again. Do you suppose just the change with Teller made that difference? Looked like a different line. great job and enjoy the week off.

Daboll and McDermott  seems to get a lot of hate on here for being so conservative and erratic.

i think this game shows what they’re about much better. That they are not scared to gamble a little when the offense is not completely limited. 

I chalked up a lot of gameplans and conservative calls this season on the offense just not able to execute basic simple routine plays. Yesterday Barkley gave the team a spark they needed and the coaches seen them actually be able to execute things on offense, so they worked in more and more things. It was nice to see they can actually run a competent offense when the weapons produce and the group executes plays and sustains drives 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Daboll and McDermott  seems to get a lot of hate on here for being so conservative and erratic.

i think this game shows what they’re about much better. That they are not scared to gamble a little when the offense is not completely limited. 

I chalked up a lot of gameplans and conservative calls this season on the offense just not able to execute basic simple routine plays. Yesterday Barkley gave the team a spark they needed and the coaches seen them actually be able to execute things on offense, so they worked in more and more things. It was nice to see they can actually run a competent offense when the weapons produce and the group executes plays and sustains drives 

I tend to agree - people keep calling McDermott - Jauron 2.0, but the truth is - when he feels the team has some momentum- he has been aggressive.  The problem is the team has not had a ton of momentum over the last 2 years - they struggle with short yardage plays and therefore he has been less aggressive in some situations because he does not want to hand the other team a short field.

A day like this allows him to do things like fakes punts and going for a fourth down because the defense is humming and the offense may be able to make up for any short comings by making a play or 2.

• Like (+1) 2

I didn’t mention the offensive line because I can’t say the Jets really blitzed at all.  In most situations, they had 3 on the line with a floating 4th.  That’s their 3-3 set.  We accounted for the 4th person well. 

I’m not overall discounting the play of our offense because they’ve been that inept recently, but I don’t know how much of our protection was us being good and them not sending anyone. 

It was called out during the game and by the players.  Not sure what Bowles was thinking there 

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'll be honest, I wasn't really looking for this game nor the subsequent recap.  We were starting another cast-off who hadn't been on the team for more than a handful of games with the worst offense in the NFL.  Here was another game where we make a crap team look amazing and we are debating what to do with our top 5 pick.  And then there was kick off.....

1 - Opening Drive - I felt the entire range of emotions on the opening drive.  I thought, look at us starting Foster at WR and look at the 10 yard cushion.   As Barkley dropped back and cocked his arm, I wondered how far off the pass would be.  Then Foster made an incredible catch.  Not because it was a deep ball, but because he had to track it completely over his head and adjust.  He wasn't wide open either.  He had a step on the defender.  Either way, it was just beautiful.  Then I'm thinking, 3-0 would be our first lead in forever, that's a win; BBFS at it's finest.  So we hand the ball off to Shady and there's a hole.  5 yards downfield, you can see it, Shady can see it, the fans can see it.  Shady kicks into another gear and breaks free for the TD, showing his burst, agility and balance.  In two plays, we are up 7-0 from an offense that hadn't scored a real offensive TD that mattered in forever.  But, true to my BBFS, I fully expected that to be our scripted opening drive like against the Pats, where we look completely lost for the rest of the game.  I love being wrong.

2 - Barkley - He didn't throw for 300 yards.  He wasn't on an NFL roster 2 weeks ago.  He missed some throws by a good margin.  But he was exactly what we've been waiting for all year.  He led the offense in a way that showed you what's possible with this team.  He took shots deep and hit them.  He threw over the middle.  He took some hits and got right back up.  He spread the ball around, threw it up for guys to make plays.  He didn't turn the ball over, however he almost did in the 2nd quarter where he threw to the only guy not wide open.  I don't know if the plan was to sit Allen this year behind Peterman or not, but if it was, Barkley showed in this game that he deserves to be out there while Allen learns.  Guys played for him.  It was a coming out party for the offense in a way we haven't seen all year.  It was fun.  There were multiple drives.  I was disappointed when we punted, rather than expecting it.  Barkley gave us all the greatest pre-bye week gift he could have, hope for this offense.

3 - Benjamin - Let me just get this out of the way now because it's the only negative I have.  We don't need him.  If there is any cap savings in doing it now, then cut him.  His drop, again, on a jump ball in the end zone and all around lack of relevance on the field is a joke.  We have too many other guys fighting for a spot to not give them a chance and he doesn't even serve as a decoy.  It's sad with his height and ability, but I'm done with him.  

4 - Hello world

And thank you world

In harmony

5 - Daboll - I'm sorry.  For this week, I'm sorry.  The trick play to Dawkins, the shots downfield, the balanced attack, was all great.  The pass setup the run and McCoy went crazy.  More importantly, we had multiple long drives and didn't take our foot off the gas.  For the first time this season, we looked like a real NFL offense.  Was it the younger guys taking the most of the opportunity, was it a QB that sees the field better?  I honestly don't know.  Whatever it was, I hope to see more of it.

6 - Blitzes - I was really overall impressed with the blitzing scheme that Frazier called.  His coverage disguises worked well and guys were making it into the backfield cleanly.  Milano took a huge shot on McCown.  Our front 4 did a good overall with stunts and edge rushes.  We didn't rack up a ton of sacks like against Minnesota, but we were back there enough to disrupt things and McCown wasn't comfortable.

7 - Special Teams - The aggressive play calling bled into special teams with a beautifully executed fake punt.  Foster made a good move on the defender and Logan Thomas threw it on the money.  It was a combination of timing and skill, two things we haven't seen a lot of on special teams.  It also showed that we weren't going to give the ball back unless we had to.  Loved the move and loved even more than all 3 facets of the team were in sync.  Also, the FG to put us up 17-0 was money in that wind.  

8 - Turnovers - There was an article floating around on here where someone said the Bills were the unluckiest team in the first half with how fumbles bounced.  We had something like the most forced fumbles but the lowest recovery percentage.  That, with a few bounces going our way, games could be different.  Zay's first fumble into the endzone was almost the most Billsy thing to happen.  It's what we would do.  Be up 7-0, drive down field again, fumble into the endzone, the Jets march downfield and tie it up.  Not today.  We recover in the endzone, we get INT's today, we get the bounces and the tips.  Sometimes it's that simple.  Momentum and lady luck may not be factors on paper, but they are a real thing.

9 - McDermott - On 4th and 1, up 14-0, I was nervous about going for it.  Fortunately, the false start took the decision out of our hands.  While we are 2-7 with nothing to lose, maybe I just want points whenever we can get them as I know we can blow a lead.  Either way, McDermott was a man on a mission today.  I don't know what plays he calls and doesn't, but he had everyone on the same page.  He was there after every big play hyping guys up and was incredibly aggressive, which is unlike him.  Today was the game the process is promising us.  I know it's only one game, but to finally see it was something to behold.  Jets or not, we put together a complete game and utilized the max potential of our talent.  Maybe things are looking up.

10 - The Jets - I think Bowles gets fired soon and I don't like saying that because I like him as a coach.  Someone asked why Rex only got 2 years.  The answer was the Jets today.  I'm not saying we didn't play well nor an I diminishing the win, but that team is a mess.  You could see it in the fans, the players on the sidelines.  The team has lost hope and heart.  They still aren't the mess that the Raiders are, but Bowles has lost the team.  They may say the right words to the media, but they are done and change is near.

What a great way to head into the bye week.  A Bills win and a Pats loss.  3-0 in my fantasy teams and it looks like we have a viable option at QB if Allen isn't ready.  Here's to a relaxing next weekend and then home for the Jags.

Go Bills!

Virgil, thanks for doing these every week - must be a little easier after a win!  

I concur with all you said here.  And two plays yesterday brought me to the same conclusion re: Benjamin.  

1. The dropped TD was obvious.  Do some hand strengthening exercises.  Roll to your left when falling and tuck the ball away from defender.
  2. In the 2nd half there was a medium throw to the sidelines and the Jets DB made a good play to deflect the ball.  It was in the air for 2-3 seconds and Benjamin made no effort to dive for it.   Keep mailing it in KB.  OD likely to keep him around for depth now but I'd cut him.  OBD likely to sign more FA's than lose so no need to worry about loss of compensatory draft pick.

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

4 - Hello world

And thank you world

In harmony

Go Bills!

Nice job.  Keeping traditions going is important.  And you do it with style!

Is anyone else a little Anxious that Buffalo will rub off on Barkley and he will come out next time and lay an egg if he starts again?   He was not gun shy at all in that game, but for whatever reason when QBs get here and spend time here they become afraid to push the ball down field, especially over the middle.  

42 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

In the 2nd half there was a medium throw to the sidelines and the Jets DB made a good play to deflect the ball.  It was in the air for 2-3 seconds and Benjamin made no effort to dive for it. 

I noticed that too. Two defenders went for the ball while KB just stood there like the play was over. I would have benched him on the spot for that.

7 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Very good post.  People can say what they want but i enjoyed the game and that's all that matters. I made a thread but no one seems to care...do you think panchos speech had an affect on the players?

Yes.  With the season we have had so far, this was very enjoyable.  Go Bills!