Start Josh Allen (healthy) or Matt Barkley?

TonyBeets

Who do you start?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you start Barkley or Allen?

• Barkley
    • Allen

2 minutes ago, Figster said:

Allen could actually learn something watching Barkley in my humble opinion.

If I'm Daboll or McD,  after a performance like that Barkley is my starter until Allen is capable of performing at a higher level in the passing game.

I agree. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

Allen could actually learn something watching Barkley in my humble opinion.

If I'm Daboll or McD,  after a performance like that Barkley is my starter until Allen is capable of performing at a higher level in the passing game.

You learn by playing at this point in your life.

This is actually a tough decision. We know who the starter is for next year and the year after. Do we know who the backup QB will be? This season has taught us that a backup vet at QB is extremely important for Allen. Are we going to give Barkley a long-term contract after beating the worse team in the NFL? Or, are we going to pass, say it was a fluke, and go dumpster diving mid-season again in 2019?

1 minute ago, Boca BIlls said:

Like starting Barkley would ever be a good idea with a healthy rookie that needs reps.

Nope, that would be the exact opposite of a blanket statement. 

I think either choice is understandable here. In some ways sticking with Barkley makes sense and in some ways getting Allen back in makes sense.

But characterizing this as an example of a made up principle that can be proven with some examples and disproven with others is laughable. 

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

Nope, that would be the exact opposite of a blanket statement. 

I think either choice is understandable here. In some ways sticking with Barkley makes sense and in some ways getting Allen back in makes sense.

But characterizing this as an example of a made up principle that can be proven with some examples and disproven with others is laughable. 

this is the  truth for this situation.  both could serve as a positive, but could work out poorly.  if the staff doesn't feel that allen in both physically and mentally ready, then they have barkley ready to go.  if allen is ready on both of these fronts, i can't see winning a few games with barkley being worth it.  i do get both sides of the decision.  either way i'd be fine with both of them going into camp next summer to compete for the starting spot.  

• Like (+1) 2

According to this article, Allen is the starter. And it's locked because the writer attributes it to the Bills head coach, Doug McDermott.

Following the butt-kicking Barkley and the Bills laid on the New York Jets, coach Doug McDermott said Monday that rookie Josh Allen would resume starting duties after the team's bye week if healthy.

The team is 3 and 7, there isn't any saving this season. If Allen is healthy throw him out there. Although I wouldn't be opposed to waiting an extra week on Allen if an extra week is beneficial. I guess what I am trying to say is, if Allen is ready to go 100% play him but I don't see the need to rush him back right away given Barkley played well the last game. 

10 minutes ago, teef said:

this is the  truth for this situation.  both could serve as a positive, but could work out poorly.  if the staff doesn't feel that allen in both physically and mentally ready, then they have barkley ready to go.  if allen is ready on both of these fronts, i can't see winning a few games with barkley being worth it.  i do get both sides of the decision.  either way i'd be fine with both of them going into camp next summer to compete for the starting spot.  

Yep. Totally defendable and understandable either way. 

I'm way more excited to see Allen play, but would probably stick with Barkley if it were me making the decision. 

On on an absolute no brainer note: Is Peterman cut yet?

• Like (+1) 1

May be telling that he says “if healthy”.  Since it appears Allen could have played yesterday, the chance of him not being healthy after the bye week is close to zero.  Seems McDermott is leaving himself some leeway if he decides to give Barkley another start.  He could just say “Josh is not entirely healthy” and it would protect him from criticism for not giving the new franchise qb as many game reps as possible.