Start Josh Allen (healthy) or Matt Barkley?

TonyBeets

Who do you start?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you start Barkley or Allen?

• Barkley
    • Allen

3 minutes ago, teef said:

and i don't agree with this.  i don't expect allen to come in and light up the world just because he's sat hurt for a few weeks.  it's nuts to think otherwise.  what would be cause for concern would be if allen continues to play, and doesn't show any improvement during that time.  he needs to play and learn.  you are way over valuing this game with the jags.  this season is over.  it's time to see if allen can get better.

Right. The season is over and we need to be evaluating for next year.

We know Allen is the starter next year.

What we don't know is who the other 10 guys with him will be. 

Yesterday was the first time all year we could actually evaluate the rest of the offense, and some of the pieces didn't look all that bad. 

I'd give Barkley a couple games so that we can continue evaluating the OL, Jones, Foster, etc, and then give Allen the last 3 games to get another 150-200 offensive snaps under his belt. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

I think this is actually a tough decision, not really an obvious right or wrong answer. Barkley was good yesterday and the offense looked very good, but let’s be honest about his past, he hasn’t been good and was not on an NFL roster. So it could be an abbaration or that the Jets basically quit. On the flip side, the plan really was to sit Josh as long as possible this year to help ease him into the NFL. I like that approach especially with a guy who’s biggest question is if he can acclimate to NFL speed, defenses, etc. Allen showed some nice flashes so far, but mostly looked a little overmatched from a mental standpoint. 

I also think thay if Barkley can take the next two weeks to better learn the offense, perhaps the team will be able to better run the offense, which will help the organization evaluate the offensive line and WRs and not put so much stress on the defense. 

Assuming that Barkley can bring competent QB play the rest of the year, I think the benefit to starting Barkley outweighs the benefit to starting Allen. I also think the risk is less, because if Barkley comes back down to earth you can always go back to Allen and get him some work in. 

So...just talked myself into Barkley. Ha. 

Good point.

7 minutes ago, dubs said:

I think this is actually a tough decision, not really an obvious right or wrong answer. Barkley was good yesterday and the offense looked very good, but let’s be honest about his past, he hasn’t been good and was not on an NFL roster. So it could be an abbaration or that the Jets basically quit. On the flip side, the plan really was to sit Josh as long as possible this year to help ease him into the NFL. I like that approach especially with a guy who’s biggest question is if he can acclimate to NFL speed, defenses, etc. Allen showed some nice flashes so far, but mostly looked a little overmatched from a mental standpoint. 

I also think thay if Barkley can take the next two weeks to better learn the offense, perhaps the team will be able to better run the offense, which will help the organization evaluate the offensive line and WRs and not put so much stress on the defense. 

Assuming that Barkley can bring competent QB play the rest of the year, I think the benefit to starting Barkley outweighs the benefit to starting Allen. I also think the risk is less, because if Barkley comes back down to earth you can always go back to Allen and get him some work in. 

So...just talked myself into Barkley. Ha. 

Exactly.

We know Allen will be the starter next year.

What we need to evaluate are the other 10 guys on offense, and Barkley allows us to do that if he keeps playing well.

If he craps the bed, put Allen back in. 

9 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Goff and Trubisky would disagree

This board is absolutely nuts.  95 % of you ran TT out of town wanting a new shiny first round QB.  Now you want to stick with a popgun has-been on his 6th team as the QB of the future?  For God's sake. It was the Jets.  And the Jets dropped two interceptions.  

Allen is the future.  He plays when he is healthy.  He is the best QB on the team.  

Okay so we disagree. Rodgers and Mahomes would agree with the sit and learn approach.  Sounds a bit like a crusade when you make proclamations like that. 

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

Right. The season is over and we need to be evaluating for next year.

We know Allen is the starter next year.

What we don't know is who the other 10 guys with him will be. 

Yesterday was the first time all year we could actually evaluate the rest of the offense, and some of the pieces didn't look all that bad. 

I'd give Barkley a couple games so that we can continue evaluating the OL, Jones, Foster, etc, and then give Allen the last 3 games to get another 150-200 offensive snaps under his belt. 

who on offense wasn't this staff able to evaluate other than the wrs?  they know who is who with the ol and rbs.  i'm willing to be they know which of the wrs will stay and go.  whether allen plays should have nothing to do with anything other than evaluating allen.  if the coaches think it's not his time...fine.  otherwise this is all just made up concern.  the fact that you expect allen to come in and play better because he's been out hurt, makes no sense to me.  neither does the need to start a lame duck qb to figure out which wrs are good enough.  i'm sure the staff has a pretty good understanding at this point.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

During the '89 season, when Kelly was out for 3 games, the Buffalo WGR radio talk shows were loaded with callers saying that Reich should be the starter going forward. Reich looked awful for 3 1/2 quarters playing in the Monday night game against the Rams, but rebounded, and ran the table during his three games as the starter.

Some of the talk around town, was to sit Kelly. Crazy as it seems....

I qualified it by saying “in their right mind,” but yes, a good backup is always the most popular player around town. 

13 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Barkley had a nice game

But I start Allen. Let's not waste time. Barkley is not any sort of answer. 

Barkley threw for 230 ish and 2 TD which is nice but hardly something to change course over

I might give him 3 TDs.  It is not his fault Benjamin was on the field.

In my opinion the bye week makes this a tough question. If the bills had a game this Sunday id say ride the hot hand in Barkley and let Allen continue to heal.

What i like about this is that the rest of the season can be Allen's "second season" or a season reboot. He was never supposed to come in and play as early as he did. He now has had the opportunity to watch and learn. Take the 2 weeks prepare like its a season opener, see where he is at

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

What quarterback had looked better for the Bills this year.  A performance like Barkley had against the Jet most certainly qualify as a hot hand in my understanding of the phrase.   Not sure why you want to focus on semantics.  The point is, if Barkley gives us the best chance of winning,  he should start.  Why put Allen in the position to live up to Barkley's success against the Jets.  He has enough pressure on him. We have an opportunity bring Allen along at a slower pace that may be beneficial to his development.   What is wrong with trying to win games?  You may feel this is a wasted season,  but if we could go 7-9 or even 6-10, that would be something to build on and could enhance our ability to attract more talented free agents.   Just my opinion. 

save your keystrokes.   he thinks hes a QB expert so arguing with his his fruitless.

To answer your question...  Barkley. 

I agree.  I don't think McDermott wanted to start Josh, but he had little choice after week 1.  

Not a damn thing wrong with trying to win games. 

Nothing wrong with your opinion IMO  :)

2 hours ago, teef said:

but what does this get you moving forward?.  barkley isn't the future.

No he's not.   BUT .. if this team starts clicking and performing cohesively as a unit...  All of that will translate into a better team and atmosphere for when Josh is truly ready.  

Cut Anderson, Keep Barkley as the mentor.  

2 hours ago, Boca BIlls said:

Barkley didn't even look that good yesterday. He played average, no better then Allen. We know who Barkley is, we need Allen to start and continue to learn. 

Not one person can give a good reason to start Barkley.

I hope that is sarcasm.  

TWO receivers with 200 total yards ....   In Buffalo that sir is way above average,

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Allen hasn't played in a month, so, we have no idea how he would be playing now. My point is your love for Rosen clearly clouds your judgement and prevents you from objectively evaluating Allen or Rosen. Carry on....

Rosen fans ....  LOL   

SMH

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

The Jets defense is not so bad as to be compared to a preseason effort.  The biggest problem I saw is the Jets were anticipating the pop gun offense the Bills had been putting out prior to yesterday and not mentally adjusting to it. 

Right, the Jets offense has been almost as bad as the Bills but their defense has been above average. I think Barkley took them by surprise starting with the very first play in the game. For the first time all season we had a balanced offense. I'm in no hurry to throw that away.

21 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

save your keystrokes.   he thinks hes a QB expert so arguing with his his fruitless.

To answer your question...  Barkley. 

I agree.  I don't think McDermott wanted to start Josh, but he had little choice after week 1.  

Not a damn thing wrong with trying to win games. 

Nothing wrong with your opinion IMO  :)

No he's not.   BUT .. if this team starts clicking and performing cohesively as a unit...  All of that will translate into a better team and atmosphere for when Josh is truly ready.  

Cut Anderson, Keep Barkley as the mentor.  

I hope that is sarcasm.  

TWO receivers with 200 total yards ....   In Buffalo that sir is way above average,

Rosen fans ....  LOL   

SMH

Against the Jets... 

You start Allen, not one person has given a good reason to not start him.

10 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah that looks like he's got more than 2 weeks to recover.?

Look, 2 months ago McDermott and Beane seemed to be going into the season believing (stupidly) that Allen would benefit from being the backup QB and learning on the bench while another QB led the team.

Their foolishness stemmed from thinking Nate Peterman could be that other QB.

Then they had to insert Allen. They were absolutely forced to.

Then Allen got hurt and after a quick reminder of the ongoing Peterman mistake, Anderson became the starter.

And if Anderson were playing like Barkley did yesterday, it's like hitting the reset button on the start of the season and Anderson probably would have held the reins until he started losing and sucking.

He sucked too and we lost a string of games.

Then Matt Barkley comes in and has the best QB performance this football team has seen since Taylor against Miami on Christmas Eve in 2016. And our offense is utterly dominant against a decent defense. I saw a graphic flash that we had the 3rd best offensive output for a half in team history.

That's amazing.

This team is 3-7. We suck. We aren't making the playoffs, yet we are mathematically still in it. You can't make a move for the sake of development. You MUST make a move according to what helps your team win. And McDermott will make his next decision according to that, and that alone (along with the health of Allen's elbow) because it's obvious that's what he cares about. And he could go either way, but the simple truth is that Barkley-until-he loses is the easier choice.

Personally, I think benching Barkley after that game would take guts, and I don't know if McDermott has the guts to do it.

After all, he didn't have the guts to name Allen the starter over the Summer when it was obviously the right move.