Start Josh Allen (healthy) or Matt Barkley?

TonyBeets

Who do you start?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you start Barkley or Allen?

• Barkley
    • Allen

I wouldn't be upset either way.  I think starting Allen represents the highest risk/highest reward of the bunch:

If you start Allen, and he sucks, then you run the risk of having the fanbase turn against him and calling for his head, after less than a season at quarterback.

If you start Allen, and he's good, then that's great.

If you start Barkley, and he sucks, then Allen just goes in for the final few games, and even if he sucks too, the fanbase won't turn on him.

If you start Barkley, and he's good... then what's the problem?  Let Allen develop on the bench and see if Barkley just needed the right set of coaches to click with.

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

Dear Diary, even though Josh Rosen completed only 56% of his passes today, threw two more interceptions, struggled again, and was generally ineffective, he still looked perfect to me ❤️❤️

Who said that? He's not playing well and yet he's still better than Allen in all categories. Not sure what that has to do with this topic anyhow

1 minute ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Who said that? He's not playing well and yet he's still better than Allen in all categories. Not sure what that has to do with this topic anyhow

Allen hasn't played in a month, so, we have no idea how he would be playing now. My point is your love for Rosen clearly clouds your judgement and prevents you from objectively evaluating Allen or Rosen. Carry on....

Barkley has to start. 

The offense looked better yesterday than it has in 2 years. Daboll called a great game, and the receivers made plays. 

For the sake of trying to build an offense, he should be the one playing so we can evaluate the other 10 guys on offense. 

If he becomes less effective, you can make a change, but I think it sends the wrong message to bench the QB who gave us the best performance of the year on offense. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Allen hasn't played in a month, so, we have no idea how he would be playing now. My point is your love for Rosen clearly clouds your judgement and prevents you from objectively evaluating Allen or Rosen. Carry on....

Rosen's better. Not sure what that has to do with Barkley starting over Allen for the time being so he can try and improve. Rosen isn't on this team. They traded up and took a worse player when they could have stayed back and took a better QB and still had their 2nd round pick. That's just a fact and thus my screename. Barkley isn't good either but it will buy them time to work with Allen more and try and salvage him. He was getting worse and worse. He's going to play himself out of a job if he continues to regress. Not sure what the hurry is to throw a raw player back out there to get killed when he hasn't had time to work on anything to improve. He just started throwing last week. Give him more time

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It really is this simple isn’t it? 

Thats where i’m at. 

at most barkley pulls off a few more wins, and then what?  he's a back up.  allen is what's important this year...not to string together a few meaningless wins.  if the coaches feel it's best for allen to sit longer, so be it.  all things being equal, allen should play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

at most barkley pulls off a few more wins, and then what?  he's a back up.  allen is what's important this year...not to string together a few meaningless wins.  if the coaches feel it's best for allen to sit longer, so be it.  all things being equal, allen should play.

right. only way I would want to see barkley over allen is if they think watching will benefit him more than reps.... and I have a hard time believing that's the case.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Rosen's better. Not sure what that has to do with Barkley starting over Allen for the time being so he can try and improve. Rosen isn't on this team. They traded up and took a worse player when they could have stayed back and took a better QB and still had their 2nd round pick. That's just a fact and thus my screename. Barkley isn't good either but it will buy them time to work with Allen more and try and salvage him. He was getting worse and worse. He's going to play himself out of a job if he continues to regress. Not sure what the hurry is to throw a raw player back out there to get killed when he hasn't had time to work on anything to improve. He just started throwing last week. Give him more time

When you equate your opinion with facts, there is nothing else to say. I rest my case.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

When you equate your opinion with facts, there is nothing else to say. I rest my case.

Better in high school, better in college, better in the pros. Not sure who is going to argue against that one. People that prefer Allen think he MIGHT some day be better. And I MIGHT win the lottery. It could happen

8 minutes ago, teef said:

I think Barkley playing is an important barometer for where the offense is the next time Allen takes the field.

For example, if Barkley plays pretty well, and then Allen gets back out there and struggles, it should be a cause for concern.

The issue for me so far is that the other QBs have been so bad that we've defaulted to assuming that the OC, WRs and OL aren't good enough. Yesterday showed that probably isn't the case. Daboll called a great game, Jones and Foster made plays, the OL blocked and the Bills ran the ball extremely well. It removed the idea that Allen is struggling because everything else around him is so bad. It showed the other things aren't as terrible as advertised. 

Our problem all season has been horrendous QB play. 

At this point I want to see a bigger sample size from Barkley. Give him the Jags game and see if yesterday was a fluke or if he's actually a massive upgrade over the other QBs we've had.

If Barkley tanks, which is likely considering how good the Jags pass D is, then you go back to Allen the next week. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, teef said:

but what does this get you moving forward?.  barkley isn't the future.

Mahomes sat on the bench the whole season last year. He came in this season immediately playing at a high level from the first game. Personally I think Allen could use the time on the bench, and now it looks like we have a viable bridge QB so we can afford to let him sit.

• Like (+1) 1

Barkley. You don't want to bring Allen back against a top defense. Let Barkley take the Jags, and bring Allen in the following week to ease in against lesser competition. Unless, of course, Barkley lights it up again, in which case we may want to see what we have there.

The bottom line is there's no need to rush things with Allen. People who lack patience wait the longest.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

If the Bills were truly “in the hunt” I’d stick with the hot hand (Barkley) but we all know they are not, math or no math in the elimination, so you go with your qb of the future, because his development is now the priority. 

I don't think he needs to be on the field to develop.

If he's not ready, then he's not ready. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

I don't think he needs to be on the field to develop.

If he's not ready, then he's not ready. 

He said the game was finally slowing down for him right before he got hurt. You don't sit the guy that was finally "as he said" starting to see the game slow down. You dont learn on the sideline you earn by playing, that is the only way the game will slow down for you.

6 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Barkley. You don't want to bring Allen back against a top defense. Let Barkley take the Jags, and bring Allen in the following week to ease in against lesser competition. Unless, of course, Barkley lights it up again, in which case we may want to see what we have there.

The bottom line is there's no need to rush things with Allen. People who lack patience wait the longest.

29, 24, 20, 40, 30..... points given up by Jags in their last 5. they also give up 120 per game on the ground.... 

reps reps reps. play the rookie, please.

3 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

He said the game was finally slowing down for him right before he got hurt. You don't sit the guy that was finally "as he said" starting to see the game slow down. You dont learn on the sideline you earn by playing, that is the only way the game will slow down for you.

The game tape suggested the opposite. 

Allen had been steadily regressing since half time of the Vikings game. 

Our offense was completely non existent for 12 quarters with him at QB. 

3 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I don't think its a "one size fits all" sort of thing. but i'd still like to see him getting his PT.

I think McD needs to run it by the leadership council and learn the barometer of player buy-in. The argument that the locker room wants to win now with Barkley needs to be known versus the upside of getting Allen the experience and reps. It is a team game and ultimately the final decision need to be made based exclusively on the good of the team. Shady, Kyle, Lorax and the other leaders need to get the team aligned with the direction of the growth curve.