Start Josh Allen (healthy) or Matt Barkley?

TonyBeets

Who do you start?  

288 members have voted

1. 1. Do you start Barkley or Allen?

• Barkley
    • Allen

43 minutes ago, WRONG JOSH said:

Tough act to follow. Especially vs the Jags. He's going to get killed. What are you guys going to do after Allen has another 80 yard passing day? Especially after we saw what this offense could do with a competent QB. Can't go back to Barkley for the rest of the season at that point. Allen should be working on his footwork, learning to not throw while falling backwards, learn how to make quick decisions and release the ball quickly, learn how and when to throw with some touch. What's the hurry? Most experts didn't think he should have played at all this year and we saw why. Let him learn some more. He's not going to get better by throwing him to the wolves. At that point he's just in survival mode and he will quickly revert back to his poor mechanics because that's what he knows and what he's done his whole life. Unless jumping over guys is what you want out of your QB then Allen has a LONG way to go. Worst rated #1 QB in the NFL

Dear Diary, even though Josh Rosen completed only 56% of his passes today, threw two more interceptions, struggled again, and was generally ineffective, he still looked perfect to me ❤️❤️

• Haha (+1) 2

And of course .....  

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25248815/buffalo-bills-not-certain-starting-qb-matt-barkley-beats-jets

Mike Rodak ESPN Stiff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- After Matt Barkley led the Buffalo Bills to an unexpected 41-10 win Sunday over the New York Jets, coach Sean McDermott did not commit to a starting quarterback when his team returns from its upcoming bye week.

"Give me some time here," McDermott said. "We'll reassess (Monday) when we get in (and) look at the film."

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Hot hand? One game does not qualify as a hot hand from my vantage point. Play Barkley for what purpose? Playoff race or future of the franchise?  It's neither of these.  What pressure is on Allen with the Bills sitting at 3-7?  None.  He needs to gain as much valuable experience as possible this season. 

What quarterback had looked better for the Bills this year.  A performance like Barkley had against the Jet most certainly qualify as a hot hand in my understanding of the phrase.   Not sure why you want to focus on semantics.  The point is, if Barkley gives us the best chance of winning,  he should start.  Why put Allen in the position to live up to Barkley's success against the Jets.  He has enough pressure on him. We have an opportunity bring Allen along at a slower pace that may be beneficial to his development.   What is wrong with trying to win games?  You may feel this is a waisted season,  but if we could go 7-9 or even 6-10, that would be something to build on and could enhance our ability to attract more talented free agents.   Just my opinion. 

Edited by longtimebillsfan
  • Like (+1) 2

Back at the beginning of the season, the plan was not to start Allen at all. Well that went out the window.

Now we may finally have that veteran placeholder who won't drag the team team to hell with him. So why not go back to Plan A?

Start Barkley and let Allen soak in some more of that veteran QB play from the sideline. If Barkley falters, you can always get Allen back in. 

But right now, this team needs to start winning. Why? Because we are developing more than just a QB.

We need to evaluate players like Zay Jones and Robert Foster. We have to see if Shady still has something left in the tank. Good QB play allows to make those judgements easier. Allen is still likely to struggle.

I say go with the vet.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, longtimebillsfan said:

What quarterback had looked better for the Bills this year.  A performance like Barkley had against the Jet most certainly qualify as a hit hand in my understanding of the phrase.   Not sure why you want to focus on semantics.  The point is, if Barkley gives us the best chance of winning,  he should start.  Why put Allen in the position to live up to Barkley's success against the Jets.  He has enough pressure on him. We have an opportunity bring Allen along at a slower pace that may be beneficial to his development.   What is wrong with trying to win games?  You may feel this is a waisted season,  but if we could go 7-9 or even 6-10, that would be something to build on and could enhance our ability to attract more talented free agents.   Just my opinion. 

3-7 in 14th place in the AFC. Play Allen who is the QB who represents the future.

Unless your QB number one is Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, etc, if your attack is going nowhere for the entire season so far, you sign a guy off the street and 2 weeks later he puts 41 points on the board you need to come back with him the following week. Otherwise It's a signal that if you perform, the coaches will not recognize it.

Edited by Curt
spelling
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Goff and Trubisky would disagree

This board is absolutely nuts.  95 % of you ran TT out of town wanting a new shiny first round QB.  Now you want to stick with a popgun has-been on his 6th team as the QB of the future?  For God's sake. It was the Jets.  And the Jets dropped two interceptions.  

Allen is the future.  He plays when he is healthy.  He is the best QB on the team.  

I agree and it's interesting reading the Western NY sports media this morning and seeing a couple of them claim that Barkley's performance yesterday was BY FAR the best by a Bills QB.  Huh?  Barkley was 15 - 25 for 232 yards & 2 TD's with a QB rating of 117.4.   Meanwhile against Minnesota Allen was 15 - 22 - 196 - 1 TD with a QB rating of 111.2.  Seems about the same to me.  But when you add in Allen's 2 rushing TD's AND the FACT that the Vikings are a much better team then the Jets and it takes a special kind of sports writer to claim Barkley has had the best QB outing to date for Buffalo this year.

• Like (+1) 1

You start Allen 100%. 

But because we are the Bills, you guys know what is going to happen right? Allen will play like ? ? ? and everyone will be calling for Barkley again and now you have a quarterback controversy. 

What I saw from Barkley was some of the most efficient quarterbacking I have seen from a Bills quarterback in years (though Allen's game vs the Vikes was pretty ridiculous). So I think people on the Barkley side are saying, maybe we ride it out for a couple of games and see what we have with Matt. If he keeps winning, stay with him, and if he gets killed against the Jags, you turn back to Allen. 

I see the arguments on both sides. 

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You start Allen 100%. 

But because we are the Bills, you guys know what is going to happen right? Allen will play like ? ? ? and everyone will be calling for Barkley again and now you have a quarterback controversy. 

What I saw from Barkley was some of the most efficient quarterbacking I have seen from a Bills quarterback in years (though Allen's game vs the Vikes was pretty ridiculous). So I think people on the Barkley side are saying, maybe we ride it out for a couple of games and see what we have with Matt. If he keeps winning, stay with him, and if he gets killed against the Jags, you turn back to Allen. 

I see the arguments on both sides. 

Barkley had a nice game yesterday and it was great to see.  He also got away with a few throws that could have easily been INTs.  Bottom line for me is Allen should play given the Bills' record that says they aren't making the postseason in 2018 which isn't exactly a surprise.  Let him grow and develop along with the other young players we're beginning to see sprinkled throughout the lineup. 

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You've identified the downside of starting Allen in 2 weeks.  In fact I would argue that your point might be the likeliest outcome of starting Allen against Jacksonville.  That's why it's incumbent on McDermott to make it crystal clear that as long as he stays healthy Allen is playing  the final 6 games.  A single game, good or bad, won't impact this. 

We fans will scream and the moron sports writers will pontificate but in the end there's only a QB controversy if McDermott and the Bills screw this up.  IMO they screw this up by playing head games with Allen over who starts in 2 weeks.  Now if the Bills were 5 - 5 and Barkley had a track record of success along the lines of Fitz, I would also be saying sit the rookie and go with the hot hand.  But none of these things apply here. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

To me it's Barkley .. and only for this reason ... maybe compared to (Peterson, Anderson) .. he can take these two weeks with Allen and show Allen how to prepare and see if he can in fact orchestrate something similar vs. the Jags defense ala the Jets.  I think Josh needs to see another (hopefully solid offensive performance by someone else ... certainly not observed with Peterman or Anderson at the helm) for his learning purposes.  If Barkley doesn't do it again ... it gives Allen another two weeks to heal up ... watch / learn ... if Barkley crashes and burns against the Jags ... then it moves up Josh's timeline  .. but no matter what he gets in for December to close out the year.

17 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I agree and it's interesting reading the Western NY sports media this morning and seeing a couple of them claim that Barkley's performance yesterday was BY FAR the best by a Bills QB.  Huh?  Barkley was 15 - 25 for 232 yards & 2 TD's with a QB rating of 117.4.   Meanwhile against Minnesota Allen was 15 - 22 - 196 - 1 TD with a QB rating of 111.2.  Seems about the same to me.  But when you add in Allen's 2 rushing TD's AND the FACT that the Vikings are a much better team then the Jets and it takes a special kind of sports writer to claim Barkley has had the best QB outing to date for Buffalo this year.

Stats are just stats. Allen was gifted with a short fields several times. Barkley built good scoring drives from scratch.

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Barkley had a nice game yesterday and it was great to see.  He also got away with a few throws that could have easily been INTs.  Bottom line for me is Allen should play given the Bills' record that says they aren't making the postseason in 2018 which isn't exactly a surprise.  Let him grow and develop along with the other young players we're beginning to see sprinkled throughout the lineup. 

Honestly, I cannot fathom, with this team at 3-7, why anyone would not want to give Allen invaluable game experience throughout the remainder of this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

That's why it's incumbent on McDermott to make it crystal clear that as long as he stays healthy Allen is playing  the final 6 games.  A single game, good or bad, won't impact this. 

We fans will scream and the moron sports writers will pontificate but in the end there's only a QB controversy if McDermott and the Bills screw this up.  IMO they screw this up by playing head games with Allen over who starts in 2 weeks. 

Perfectly stated! 

34 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

To me it's Barkley .. and only for this reason ... maybe compared to (Peterson, Anderson) .. he can take these two weeks with Allen and show Allen how to prepare and see if he can in fact orchestrate something similar vs. the Jags defense ala the Jets.  I think Josh needs to see another (hopefully solid offensive performance by someone else ... certainly not observed with Peterman or Anderson at the helm) for his learning purposes.  If Barkley doesn't do it again ... it gives Allen another two weeks to heal up ... watch / learn ... if Barkley crashes and burns against the Jags ... then it moves up Josh's timeline  .. but no matter what he gets in for December to close out the year.

Im not against this idea. It gives you a longer look at Barkley...maybe he gets re-signed to be the backup next year. As long as Allen is guaranteed the last four games, I don't care what happens. 

9 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

It should be about which guy runs the offense better. We scored 41 points yesterday and 41 points in October 

but what does this get you moving forward?.  barkley isn't the future.

• Thank you (+1) 1