Saw an NFL Offense today - Not from an X & O's expert

Billsfan1972

I get tired of people explaining the nuances & X & O's in football.

I've been watching the game for over 45 years & yes you have to scheme plays & offense, but today was very easy as the Bills looked like an NFL team on offense.

Barkley completed only 15 passes, but they spread the field on formations, there was movement on the line and they completed simple plays that were well designed, easy reads and completions.

They threw downfield and into seams down the middle.  

Three long completions.  First a perfect pass to an open receiver in the field of play and right in his hands.

Zay Jones another easy 35 yard pass that was on the money where it was one on one coverage.

The last to Holmes underthrown, but only the receiver had a chance to adjust, did and a fairly easy catch.

Yes a few bad throws, but also too ones where the receiver caught it running.

Didn't look hard or ridiculously complicated, but accomplished because receivers were running patterns and the field was spread.  Sort of like watching a real NFL team.

It was refreshing..... 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Best the offense looked since Minnesota for sure.  Offense had rythem for the first time in weeks.  I think they need to release Peterman on Monday and open a roster spot.  Barkley looks like a solid back up.  If Allen isnt healthy he should remain the start. Once Allen is 100% they need to get him reps.  Like McKenzie and foster on the field. Forces defense to respect their speed.

• Like (+1) 1

I tend to agree. I saw simple football, tackling, blocking, running good routes, and a quarterback taking what the defense was giving and taking shots when they were there. 

I am am a big X's and O's guy, but you are correct. Simple concepts with everyone doing their job. The offense looked New England esque, which is what I was expecting with Daboll. Their concepts are simple, but they do them really well. We saw that for the first time today in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan11 said:

Daboll called a great game today.

About time.

He actually was unpredictable today, had motions, made the jets defend all over the field.

I really don’t understand why he can’t do that more often

He does... execution of said game plan is the problem.

• Like (+1) 2

There is a lesson in there though. All year it looked like Daboll was trying to be too cute. They shortened the playbook for Barkley and kept it somewhat simple and this the result. Everyone played a million times better. So keep it simple, especially when Allen gets back in there. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

He does... execution of said game plan is the problem.

Disagree. The play calling was night and day from previous games.

Lack of execution IMO is a lame excuse for predictable and vanilla play calling. As we saw today. He put the players in a way better position to succeed and execute , and they did.

• Like (+1) 2

We somewhat benefitted from Clay being injured and Foster and McKittrick being activated. Clay is better than Croom and Thomas but it stopped Daboll from playing three TEs and having a lot of two TE formations. Adding the speed of Foster and McKittrick to the rotation, along with Pryor who did nothing but is pretty fast, kept Holmes on the bench and Phillips off the team and there was a noticeable difference in the patterns and scheme and some guys getting open. Barkley, who is smart, took advantage.

Daboll called a good game. The Jets couldn't crowd the LOS because of the early bomb and Foster's speed. And the running game got some holes and some good decisions by the backs. It all added up to the totally different looking game.

There is an argument to be made that Robert Foster was the MVP of this game.

Edited by Kelly the Dog
  • Like (+1) 3

30 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Best the offense looked since Minnesota for sure.  Offense had rythem for the first time in weeks.  I think they need to release Peterman on Monday and open a roster spot.  Barkley looks like a solid back up.  If Allen isnt healthy he should remain the start. Once Allen is 100% they need to get him reps.  Like McKenzie and foster on the field. Forces defense to respect their speed.

We had so many fresh blood that brought a different enthusiasm to the team.  Our ST was outstanding today.  They did not put the Offense in a hole. 

57 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

There is a lesson in there though. All year it looked like Daboll was trying to be too cute. They shortened the playbook for Barkley and kept it somewhat simple and this the result. Everyone played a million times better. So keep it simple, especially when Allen gets back in there. 

Agree completely.  How many times have we seen a coaching change lead to improved performance with the same personnel and sometimes the same playbook, and every time the players say "NewCoach simplified the playbook"

That said, those who point out that no Clay and bringing in some fast WR who actually hustled spread the field and made the run game easier also have a point.

• Like (+1) 1

Um, we beat the NY Jets...............a terrible team............with a new QB, who was sitting on his couch 2 weeks ago, unemployed........

and we should be thinking.................what ?....................playoffs ??

Edited by B Fan in LA
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Daboll called a great game today.

About time.

He actually was unpredictable today, had motions, made the jets defend all over the field.

I really don’t understand why he can’t do that more often

He can’t do it more often because he’s been working with terrible talent. Daboll is not the problem.

People usually use the term, "complementary football," to mean that both the offense and defense are playing well.  But I'm thinking about it in a different sense.  

On that first drive, Barkley and Foster made the Jets respect our vertical game.  Shady made them respect our running game.  The passing game made the run game more successful and the run game made the passing game more successful.  

To me, that's complementary football.

I'll add that I was proud  of our OL today.  Shady had some holes to run through and Barkley had time to throw.  

So, yeah, I agree that the Bills fielded a NFL offense today.  Barkley wasn't great.  He didn't throw with the precision  of a Brady or Brees.  But he made enough good short, medium, and long throws that the Jets were forced to defend the entire field.   I imagine Daboll going into the QB room this week and saying, "See!  That's what I've been talking about!"

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billsfan11 said:

Disagree. The play calling was night and day from previous games.

Lack of execution IMO is a lame excuse for predictable and vanilla play calling. As we saw today. He put the players in a way better position to succeed and execute , and they did.

You can disagree but the truth is that is the gameplan every week.

7 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

No it was different yesterday, just the formations were more creative (or 2018 football).  Heck it was only 230 yards passing, but as starved fans, it seemd like 400.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

That’s not the truth at all. 

Way more play actions on early downs, more jet sweeps to make the defence cover all parts of the field, more screens. There were even more things. I would have to watch the game again to completely refresh my memory 

9 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He can’t do it more often because he’s been working with terrible talent. Daboll is not the problem.

Lol did the Bills sign some all pro players for yesterday’s game or something?

Edited by billsfan11