The Best Team in the NFL is......

26CornerBlitz

What Team is the NFL's Best  

271 members have voted

1. 1. What Team is the NFL's Best

Super Bowl or Bust? Saints, Steelers Among Teams All In On 2018

By Gil Brandt, NFL Media senior analyst

In February, one team will triumphantly raise the Lombardi Trophy after achieving the goal that every team shares at the start of the season: winning the Super Bowl.
Of course, 31 other teams will not be doing that.

But which of the 31 non-Super Bowl winners will take it the hardest? A squad that is running out of time to win behind a quarterback defying Father Time? An organization that has made a flurry of aggressive moves to maximize a competitive window?

When I was vice president of player personnel for the Cowboys, we went to the playoffs 18 times in a 20-season stretch. We won the Super Bowl twice in that span -- but all other 16 trips to the postseason ended in a loss. No matter how successful you are, when you get beaten in the playoffs, it can feel like there's no tomorrow. Your season ends abruptly, in great disappointment, even if, by most measures, reaching the postseason qualifies as an achievement.

There are about 20 teams right now that look like they are in the playoff conversation. But some are facing higher expectations than others. I've isolated seven teams below for whom failing to win Super Bowl LIII would qualify as the bitterest of disappointments -- seven "Super Bowl or bust" squads with everything riding on the final outcome of the 2018 season, arranged in order of who would be most upset to miss their shot.

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, billsfan5121 said:

The rams are probably best, but I think losing to NO might essentially be the killer to their SB hopes.  It’ll be tough if they have to go to NO in the playoffs 

...New Orleans is certainly a different team......51 points......rushing for 244 yds....Brees throwing for 265......seem to be more balanced versus "Brees or else" in previous years...

To me the Saints are the best team in the NFL and I don't think the 2nd best team in the league is even on the poll. I know the Chiefs and Rams beat the Chargers early doors but their D has stepped up since. I still bet the Patriots make the AFCCG though. 

If the key men on the Saints stay healthy I have them winning the Superbowl. 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

To me the Saints are the best team in the NFL and I don't think the 2nd best team in the league is even on the poll. I know the Chiefs and Rams beat the Chargers early doors but their D has stepped up since. I still bet the Patriots make the AFCCG though. 

If the key men on the Saints stay healthy I have them winning the Superbowl. 

....how many years has the six foot hole been dug, the shovelers ready to start pitching dirt, yet the Pats "keep on tickin' " just like John Cameron Swayze's "'ol Timex"?...dammit.......

Texans, Bears Among Defenses Set to Take Off Down the Stretch

NFL offenses are steamrolling through the 2018 season. To most, it feels like the four teams averaging at least 30 points per game can't -- and won't -- be stopped.

The overall spike in production this season -- led by the New Orleans Saints (36.7 ppg), Kansas City Chiefs (35.3), Los Angeles Rams (33.5) and Pittsburgh Steelers (31) -- comes after a year when no team topped 30 points per game by season's end. (For what it's worth, the Chicago Bears fall just below the 30 ppg threshold, scoring 29.9 points per game.)

Despite what these high-powered offenses have done so far, there's no way his holds up through December.

Now is the time when defenses will start to turn the corner, contrary to popular belief. Having been a defensive player in the NFL for 15 seasons, I know first-hand that it takes time for defensive units -- even the best ones -- to work out the kinks.

LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: This defense can be described in one word: explosive. And that's without pass rusher Joey Bosa, who is expected to return to game action in the coming weeks. The loss of linebacker Denzel Perryman definitely hurts, but rookie Uchenna Nwosu is finding his stride and can fill in nicely. The Chargers are also enjoying the production of rookie safety Derwin James, a huge steal in April's draft who is a serious candidate for Defensive Rookie of the Year. With an offense that is equally explosive, the Chargers are forcing teams to become one-dimensional and, in turn, have held opponents under 20 points for five straight games (the longest active streak in the NFL).

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: The Saints are coming off their best game defensively, holding the Bengals to just 14 points and shutting them out on third down. The defense has limited big plays and created turnovers of late, and after struggling in the early going, the secondary has improved in the last several weeks. Marshon Lattimore, the 2017 Defensive Rookie of the Year, is starting to play at a high level again, along with Marcus Williams, and Eli Apple is settling in with his new team. It helps that this unit has Drew Brees and Co. to control the clock and go toe-to-toe with any offense in the league.

On 11/11/2018 at 5:05 PM, Dopey said:

Voted Rams. Most complete team. And they added Fowler.

After losing Kupp, I changed my vote to Saints.  Kupp loss is a massive blow to the Rams that I don’t know they can recover from.  They will still be damn good, but I don’t know they can beat the Saints without him, he is such a key part of opening up opportunities for everyone else and is a key security blanket for Goff.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

After losing Kupp, I changed my vote to Saints.  Kupp loss is a massive blow to the Rams that I don’t know they can recover from.  They will still be damn good, but I don’t know they can beat the Saints without him, he is such a key part of opening up opportunities for everyone else and is a key security blanket for Goff.  

He was a big part of my fantasy team too. Big loss. Definitely makes me think twice about my vote. Going to give the rams d a couple more games to see if they can turn it up. Saints would be my next choice.

Edited by Dopey

4 minutes ago, Dopey said:

He was a big part of my fantasy team too. Big loss. Definitely makes me think twice about my vote. Going to give the rams d a couple more games to see if they can turn it up. Saints would be my next choice.

Rams are my second team, so rooting for them.  That being said I’ve always liked Brees and if Rams don’t win it then its the Saints I would like to see win it and get Brees another title before he retires soon.  

But Rams secondary is weak.  So I’m skeptical they can get the job done in the playoffs against a team like the Saints.  And last year, as soon as the Rams had their high power passing attack slowed and stunted a bit, the team was a shell of what it had been and got bounced.  

So without Kupp, I fear they won’t have the firepower to keep up with Saints who already showed the Rams that their D won’t slow down that offense.  And if Saints end up with home field, then I think Rams are in real trouble.  

PS:  Don’t sleep on the Bears either.  Saints and Rams are top 2 in NFC, but Bears are nipping on their heels now that the offense has amped up.  Someone is gonna have to beat them and it won’t be an easy out.